ZDZ tuning - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jamie M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c heli
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
ZDZ tuning

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi folks,

Just wondering what RPM I should be aiming for at idle and full throttle on my ZDZ 40? Right now its running a 20x10 Menz and gets about 6500 on the high, with idle around 2000. Being the only ZDZ owner in my club and general area, I have no other point of reference for what is considered normal. The thing flies fine with lots of power, just curious what others results are with this engine. I've been flying it for a few seasons now and have probably 5 - 6 gallons though it (guessing).

It's just an airplane...

Jamie Morgan
Portugal Cove, NL
YellowBird is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
flight performance depends to a great extent on what model you have the engine installed in.
Your rpm figures are OK,although some would prop for a little higher RPM on the top end but not much more is ideal for ZDZ IMO,since they do their best work when used as torquers.
That is a good size Menz I think too since these props are more efficient than most and will run at a lower RPM than say a Zinger.
For what its worth I broke my ZDZ 60cc in on petro based oil at 40/1 using 22x10 and now 24x10 props and turning right around 7000 rpm.By glow standards four or five gallons is a good break in period,but for a built for purpose gasser like the ZDZ you probably arent even close to being broken in yet depending on how lean your mixture,type of oil and ratio oil to gas.
If it was me and I was satisfied with the in air performance I would put a lot more time on the engine before I worried too much about RPM results.
The main thing at this point is to make sure the engine is developing enough heat to continue the break in process but not to go too lean and overheat and damage the piston or walls.
Your best bet is to use a good tach to peak the top end then back it off a couple of 100 RPMs.
There are lots of savvy gas owners around these days,and hence lots of strong opinions,but the above is how I see things..........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

My zdz 40 rear exhast is turning 7300 rpm on a 20/10 pro zinger . If I had to guess, a menz would prob suck it down to 7000 . I have not quite 5 gallons though my 40 . The 40 really came alive after about 3 gallons and then I opened the exhast a bit and that helped also .

Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Well i think i have around almost 2 gallons on my zdz 40 and i tached it with a 20-10 zinner and i was onley getting around 6400-6500 rpm. But i know it is no where near broke in yet.
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
ZDZ Tuning

Since I have been playing with my Ryobi (which people say are getting around 72-7400 rpm with an 18-8 ) I would think that your ZDZ should be closer in value to what others are getting ie; 7000-7200 with a 20-10. I have one coming very soon and hope that it is a strong runner

Here's my story. I stated with an 18-8 and got around 5200 rpm to start. Pure crap. So I changed props and got to 6100 rpm..better but still crappy. So I played with the timing..got up to 6800 rpm..better but still a little crappy. So advanced the timing to what looks like 34 degrees tdc (actually works out to around 31) and tweaked the needle valve...now gettting 7100 rpm...no more crap It now starts and idles perfectly, has tons of pull, and I think that with a few more prop experiments, better fuel (using my weedie mix which is whatever ) I will have a wonderful engine in my hands

The moral of this story is..don't settle for crap...experiment until your manure pile turns to gold
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

ZDZ is in!

Well I got my ZDZ 40 rv and it looks pretty in it's red standoffs I will be putting it in my H9 edge this week and give 'er a go next week sometime (wedding this weekend).
Thanks Roger for your prompt service!

PS What's with the green paint?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zdz1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3454  
Old 07-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2
zdz 40

The rpm will depend ALOT on the muffler setup.

My Zdz 40 on Bisson pitts muffler would only turn a Menz 20x10 at 6100 rpm so, your 6500 looks pretty good-again depending on muffler. The Menz was too much load for mine.

It happily turned a Mejzlik 20x10 at 7200 rpm.

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

zdz rpm

My ZDZ 40 with a 20-10 Zinger is turning 6400 with the Bisson pitts muffler. It is fairly new and came alive after a few flights, but I never fly full throttle except vertically ... the Edge gets going way too fast
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Dennis H
Radio of choice:
JR9303 2.4
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
ZDZ tuning

I have two ZDZ40 turning 22x8 menz at 65 and 6600 H is at 1-1/2 and L is at 1-1/4, both of them are runng great.
Funfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.