RC jet crash video - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know me and I fall in love with my planes so much so that when (and thats not too often) they crash I feel as though I have let them down. It sounds silly but I attach a human emotion to them. They go into the air trusting me to bring them back in one piece. When I fail them I feel terrible. Now add to that a price tag of well over ten thousand and I just don't think that level is for me. I hope one day my pocket book, wife or the price of those planes drops enough to allow me to enjoy that end of the hobby.

I saw a number of planes take to the air at B of Q including AJCoholic's and didn't not see any crashes like whats in the video. Most pilots left with there planes in the same condition that they arrived in. I know the only people that don't crash'em are the people that don't fly'em. Its a part of the hobby I accept but not at that price tag.

Some of those crashes look to me to be avoidable with thorough ground inspections and some seem like simple pilot error. I can only assume that the guys flying these planes are not new to the hobby and are capable pilots so when I see a plane going down with no apparent attempts to save it I can't help but conclude there is a failure beyond pilot error.
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
At the Kitchener Scale Rally a few years ago, I watched in horror as a beautiful 1/3 scale Aircoupe hit the tundra. I expressed my feelings to one of the fellows on the flight line about how bad it was and how all that work had gone to balsa sticks! He just looked me right in the eye and said something that put it in total perspective for me.

He said: "If you can't afford to crash em, you can't afford to fly em!"

Maybe this explaination is rather simplistic and perhaps harsh but it is the truth and thats the reality of flying RC Models! When ever I have decked a plane, and I have done in a few, I have always remembered that statement and walked away with what I consider a "learning experience!"
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
Ed Smith

Many years of Pylon Racing has removed any sentimental feelings I might have about model airplanes. They are meant to be used. Treat them like kleenex tissues.

Ed s
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #14
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

If one flies model aircraft then one has to accept the fact that they nearly all die a violent death.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8
It's a never ending cyclic...you build, fly, crash, build, fly, crash etc. I have never gotten really angry about a crash...I mean of course you're gonna feel upset but these are only toys You can't have fun without paying.

Align R/C, OS Engines, Futaba, Great Hobbies, Hatori, SGP, Morgan Fuels, Castle Creations
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

All the crashes on that video happened at the last World Jet Masters at an air force base in South Africa. The altitude and very hot temperatures were the most significant contributors to most of the crashes.

The miniature turbines we are using do not do very well as the altitude increases. Add in hot ambiant tempuratures and the "density" altitude goes even higher. If I recall correctly, the combination of physical altitude and ambiant temperature meant that they were trying to fly in a density altitude of around 7000 or 8000 feet.

For a given turbine RPM, as the altitude increases, the thrust decreases. Since most of the turbines we are using are run at their maximum RPM levels at sea level, there is no room to increase the RPM at higher altitudes, resulting in trying to fly the jet with less thrust than you're used to.

Those jets that are utilizing turbines with excess thrust and have been "tuned down" are better off, as they can be retuned to provide higher RPM at higher altitudes. The jets that crashed in the above video probably were already running at max RPM at sea level.

A good example of this can be found in Microsoft Flight Simulator (which, as you know, is pretty realistic.) Take the Learjet. Set the autopilot to a 1800' per minute climb and an airspeed of 275 knots. As you approach 30000' and continue climbing, you will find the engine rpm increasing until they are at maximum. Once they are at maximum, as you continue to climb, the airspeed starts to drop off. Eventually, you stall, even with the throttles firewalled, somewhere around 42000 to 45000'.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #17
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

I see what you are saying. I suppose that I should not be so fast to criticize things that I obviously do not know everything about.
But...I.....what I see........ummph....mmph!
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #18
RCC Noob

I look at a crash and say "did I learn from it" If I did then I am a better pilot from it and that was the price of my lesson. The saying " no guts no glory" certainly rings true here. If the f16 pilot was a dedicated rcer he would have gotten over it over a few beers with his rc buddies, start his new better f16, and hide the visa statement from his wife.
conkey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #19
Holly Smoke
RCC Apprentice

What amazes me about this video is that none of the RC Canada safety advocates have mentioned the fact that one of these jets caught fire, 2 more possibly did as they were smoking and the pilots were not behind a safety fence. Now just imagine if one of these turbines hit a house or landed in a farmers field.......or crashed into a car with people inside. It is one thing to fly these jets in remote areas but in the suburbs........

I would like to hear how the safety guys can justify flying these made to explode missiles........just a thought.....
Holly Smoke is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Firstly, as this event was held outside Canada, we have nothing to harp about.

Secondly, if you became well informed with the modern model jet, how they are built, flown and operated, you wouldnt be calling them "made to explode missles"... which I feel is just a comment asking to start a fight, which I will not contribute anything to.

The safety record of the jet flyer's in this country stands for itself. One only had to attend a large rally such as the Bay of Quinte a few weeks ago, to see how ALL the pilots who attended behaved in a most professional manner, and had nothing but respect for their aircraft, and their fellow modeler.

Just to let you know - I was (about three or four summers ago) in attendance at a fun fly, in which a jet model did indeed start to fishtail on its take off attempt, and after the pilot aborted the take off it veered sharply to the left, hitting the safety fence (a 36" tall snow fence) immediately in front of where I was standing along with two other pilots. The jet was stopped cold, and allthough it was damaged, we were not. Had the fence not been there, one of us would have taken it in the legs, and possible suffered an injury.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.