Greater sudbury Modelers Grand Opening Weekend - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Events Discuss your local events, events attended, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
Greater sudbury Modelers Grand Opening Weekend

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all.

First off, we would like to thank all those who made the trip up to our field this past weekend and celebrated the opening of our club with us. We had a blast, and the weather was fantastic on Saturday.

As I posted in the General Discussion forums, the weekends events coincided with our club's website being posted live to the web. There's been alot going on with that, and while the design is very simple, we do have lots of content on it ranging from a message board, to image galleries as well as a classifieds section. There's plenty to see and do.

Ok, enough about the site, I'll post the address a little later on in the post. Saturday morning, we had our ribbon ceremony and local mall owner, Val Mazzucca was on hand to cut the red ribbon for us. Thanks Val. The pilots were then allowed to take to the skies, and man, what a show we witnessed. All kinds of planes went up, including propjets, warbirds, aerobatic planes, flying wings, turbine jets and more. We saw some great piloting skills from Jan and Ziggy, who can make these planes do some spectacular things.
Out of towners such as Kevin McGrath, Dennis Pratt, Andrew Coholic, Cecil Marshall, Jan Blom, Ziggy, and countless others that I can't remember the names for, joined us for our big day, and we hope they had a great time.

The half-time show saw Kristian Sharrock flying his Canadian/Union Jack flag, if you call it flying.. I call it craziness. It was insane to see that plane do the things it was. with well over 1000 flights and a few new parts, it still flies great and the fans were not disappointed. Also flying at the halftime show was Jan. We watched him all day long hang his plane from the prop, doing torque rolls and things that I can't even fathome doing myself. It was quite a spectacle. Ziggy went up there and much like Kristian and Jan, didn't disappoint either. His plane was seen carving through the wind and just screaming across the sky. It's hard to describe or compare each person's abilities as they do their own thing, but watching the aforementioned 3 people fly, you can come to one conclusion, they're damn good.

Also, during the show, we saw Andrew Coholic fly his Reaper at breakneck speeds as well as Gaston with his AV8R soaring through the air with the smell of kerosene about. You can never mistaken the sound and smells of a turbine powered jet flying, and the audience was astonished at the abilities of these planes. Kudos Gaston and Andrew.

What I personally think was the most genuine display of showmanship was when Lou Sharrock picked a 9 year old out of the crowd who was very interested in the planes, and hooked him up to a buddy box, allowing the youngster to take a crack at flying. To me, that's what this is all about. Lou, who is a very capable pilot, and instructor at our field kept the plane in control at all times, never letting anyone feel vulnerable, and it also put a smile on that young boys face that was priceless.

The half-time show rounded up with a candy drop, put on by the SMAC boys. The youngsters lined up eager to chase down the loot that was dropped as the plane passed over the runway. It's always nice to see a smile on people's faces.

I'm almost done.. I promise

One last thing that i'd like to mention, and it's a very significant event that took place on Saturday afternoon. We witnessed both Gaston Boissonneault and Andrew Coholic flying their AV8R's in the air at the same time. Both of them hurtling past the awestruck spectators. What was so significant about this? It is reported to have been the first time in our Zone history that two Turbine Powered Jets have been flying in tandem in the air at the same time, at the same field. We are very proud to be the host of such an event.

So, with all being said, it was a great weekend of fun, flying and sunshine mostly that we can hope to have again next year. If you would like to check out our website, here is the address:

To access the images from our grand opening weekend, please click on the link at the top of the page labelled:

Greater Sudbury Modelers Grand Opening Images. I apologize for some of the commentary on the images, as I'm unsure of who owns all the planes, and what they are properly named.

Last note, we have over 7 hours of video footage that will be transformed from VHS and edited on my computer then re-burned into DVD's. If anyone is interested in purhcasing a copy, when they are ready, I'll let you know how to go about doing so.

On behalf of the Greater Sudbury Modelers, I once again wish to thank all those who joined us, and we look forward to seeing you back next year, and for years to come.

Brian Weight
bweight is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5
Hi All

I would like to thank all the pilots who participated at our funfly, the spectators, our members, including many of their relatives, who have been working for weeks on making our first event a success. Thanks to Brian for the write-up and his Dad Vic for the beautiful pictures.

Gaston Boissonneault
pres. GSM
gbjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Gentlemen, I wish to say I had an excellent time this past weekend, and it was nice to be there for your 1st fun fly!

The work you have put into the new field in a period of one year is quite unbelieveable. I know there is still work to be done, but it is quite a site allready, and it will only get better I am sure!

It was great to be there and to fly the jets especially Hopefully in the future We can get a few more NO zone members involved with the jets.

Thanks for hosting the event, and we certainly appreciated being there!

And yes, watching Jan and the others fly the aerobatic routines certainly is incentive to practice and get better, thats for sure!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
I am: Lou S

Great write up, and please tell Vic that the photo's are marvelous on the web site.
Where's the photos of me demonstrating how to holla with the kids, not available I hope.
Everything was great on the day, the half time show ran to perfection. We had a cross section of pilots from 5 different clubs in N.O. that in itself must be a first. As co-ordinator of the show, I want to thank all the pilots for showing up and helping us celebrate our grand opening.
Andrew from Tarmac, Kristian from GSM, Ziggy from the Soo. Jan from Nipmac and Brian from Smac, and of course our leader Gasman, great half time show guys. You guys will be getting a phone call again next year.
Last thing, did any one notice the F20 smoked the Patriot?

You've only got to much fuel when you are on fire.
Trubrit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
I am: Lou S

This is Mrs. Trubrit A.K.A. Kay.
I would personally like to thank everyone that volunteered for the G.S.M. airshow,without you guys the show would not have been the success it was.
I know that it was hard work but well worth it and we beat our $ budget by 25%.This money will go towards making our facilities some of the best available in Ontario.
Thank -you to all pilots especially Dennis Pratt who travelled over 8 eight hours to be with us.
A special thanks goes to all non members who helped, I really appreciate your support.
Trubrit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.