Degrees Of Wings Program - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #61
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A good idea Dennis but, these documents can be forged quite easily and some executives are more thorough than others....

Also, as in full scale, currency and health play a role in proficiency.

- Someone who earned their wings some time ago, and hasn't flown much recently
- Someone with a new aircraft beyond their skill level
- Someone with a condition that affects their eyesight or concentration.
- Someone developing a substance abuse or mental problem

The simplest "rule" that seems to work at our clug (and most clubs I've visited) is to have someone qualified (e.g. the CFI) check them out. You'll get the same response at the local full scale field. Try to rent a plane as a stranger to the club and the CFI will likely go with you for a check ride first.....
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #62
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Jim this would only be a reference for the host club. Since it would be strictly voluntary on both the club and the pilot it would not give licence for anyone to fly freely at any club they visited. Like your club any new member showing up at our club is asked to fly with an experienced club member until they are familiar with the club rules and no fly zones etc. All it would do is give an indication of how his skill levels are viewed by his home club.

Since membership applications are filled out each year they would constantly be upgraded.

The competence of the club executive is not really an issue. The membership of that club felt enough confidence to vote them in and are trusting their judgment to run the club on a day to day basis. After all its not an endorsement but a recognition of his skill level at his home club. Everyone seems to think most of this safety stuff be left to the discretion of the individual clubs well this is it in a nut shell.

Like I said same as full size pilots, scuba divers etc etc it does not give you open licence at all it is by way of an introduction nothing more than an indication of how your peers view your skill level.

In fact the idea of it being upgraded each year might in fact forewarn you of just the thing you speak of medical or physical restrictions.

Fraud well that will happen no mater what after all you can buy wings at a swap shop.

Since this would be strictly voluntary and most likely you still would be checked out at any club you are visiting I cannot see the point of anyone trying to fake the level of their competence. On the other hand anyone or club participating and taking the time and effort to fill this out would lead me to believe they might instead take the safety and skill level of the pilot quite seriously indeed.

I remember my trip through Ontario flying with as many clubs as I could a few years ago. There were several times I went to a field to find only a few members in attendance. At several of these I could have easily flown without even showing I belonged to MAAC simply because they looked in my van and saw several planes. They just assumed that because I had them in my possession I was capable of flying them.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.