RCV Engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
RCV Engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For space reasons I bought 2 RCV60-SP to power a CL-415 96" wingspan. Does anybody have any experience with these engines. Good or bad?
cl-415 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

RCV Experience...

I have one driving my new .40 size spitfire. I am a relative novice with engines (and planes), so take my comments with some salt.

Here is my basic rundown...
The difference between idle and WOT is 1200 to 5300 RPM for the prop. I have not been able to get a reliable idle below 1400RPM. The engine is still new though with about 4 tanks through it (two tanks as part of break-in procedure). The idle IS getting better.

The problem with the 1200RPM idle is that you are driving props with about 12inch pitches... thus, you are looking at a pretty powerful idle. It is pretty hard to slow the plane down with a 1200RPM 12" pitch. (that's about 35kph idle....)

I had to be really careful with the idle needle. The factory set would not idle less than 2200.

Once I got the idle relaible, and relatively slow, it is a wonderful engine. The layout is pretty "cool". The ability to swing big props is great fopr scale, especially 3 and 4 bladed props that are still big. Watch out for the noise though, it really makes a racket. Others at the field will wonder ig it is going to fly apart. People ar not accustomed to the noise of the meshing gears. It also "clicks" at idle, and "knocks" at mid-high throtle.

if only...
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

I had the 60 RCV. It was a pretty cool motor. A couple of things I noticed were,,

1) Awsome idle ( I had mine down to 1200)
2) this motor likes the green fuel better than the red or pink fuel
3) The gludgeon cap ( the prefered starting method ) can wear out easily so be gentle with it
4) It is not quiet as strong as a 46 sized motor
5) finding props for this motor is a little difficult.

All in all I thought it was a really good motor, however I had a deal come up I couldn't refuse and traded it off to a friend of mine.
Busy is defined as your wife won't let you come out to play!!

Take the Dog approach

If you can't eat it or hump it,
P*ss on it and walk away
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
Should have no problems with props if you contact Blackflyaero.com.
Tell them Doug sent you.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.