RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Choking a 4 stroke.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Full throttle. You want to richen it to drop a few hundred RPM.

A reliable idle will be self evident, but may still be twitchy or problematic unless beyond the break in. Until then you will find your fuel consumption much more than normal and idle will need to be higher to keep it from loading up and quitting.

On that note, I would recommend running it as if no break in procedure has been done for at least a few tanks.

The tach is a good suggestion since a change of a few hundred RPM may not be readily noticeable and with a 4-stroke you need to wait longer for any mixture changes to show up.

Leaving the cowl off will allow you to access the settings, check throttle movement and ensure everything is running correctly. It will also allow for adequate cooling airflow and show if things change once the cowl is installed.

I ran my first Saito, a 91, bolted to the nose of the Skybolt for approx a dozen flights. Only problem that showed up was with the throttle linkage. First flight with the cowl installed had it overheat, indicating inadequate or stagnated flow. In my case the open portion below the case provided the easiest path so a minimum went by the jug and head. Copying full size practices I installed ducting and blocker plates to retain the flow over the engine. 330+ flights proved it worked.

The point is you want to have easy access and get an idea of how the engine behaves, then change installation. If nothing negative happens you at least confirmed it should still be reliable in flight.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
RCC Noob
I am: Lindsay D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
Re: Choking a 4 stroke.

On my Saito 1.8 with a pitts muffler I would block the 2 exhaust tubes with my finger and rock the prop back and forth a couple times through compression until I could see fuel drawn up to the carb. Starts easiest using an electric starter when cold but very easy flipping backwards against compression with a stick afterward.

Years ago Saito 4 strokes had chokes on them but were found to be unnecessary.
LINZ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.