MonoBot: Aerial Robotics Project - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related
Sponsored by: Shami Hobbies

Old 03-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: VAL

Total Props: 1
MonoBot: Aerial Robotics Project

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
MonoBot is my project that I will be working on next couple of years. I want to utilize MonoPhan tech in aerial robotics, via use of sensors and Arduino.

Below is the first MonoBot unit that I started testing the Baro, GPS, etc with. Its brothers are in the making. The first flight tests went well and I was pleasantly surprised with the first baro altitude hold test. Next steps will be testing the GPS, position hold, return home and autonomous missions.

After that I will go into Arduino with some other sensors and will have some more fun

Attached video shows a bootup. The top red light on the I2C shows the 3D GPS lock (triple blinks). I was too lazy to record the first flights but I will be posting some videos as I go along.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCF-YdKjBWw

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_123327.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	884490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_123348.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	884498   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_123356.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	884506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_123418.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	884514  

vaalleon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

Re: MonoBot: Aerial Robotics Project

It’s been a while since the last time I can pick up the Mono for a test.

When I powered it up, the first thing that I saw was that the GPS reverted to the original code, going back to 9600. I couldn’t resolve this issue. I flash it with the code and save the config (which was the step that I have been missing when I first started) it works at 115200 baud rate, communicating with the I2C board. Then I power it off and if I power it on soon after, no problems. It works. But if it waits for a couple of days, it reverts back to 9600 baud and needs to be re-flashed. If anyone has some useful advice on this I would love to listen.

After re-flashing it and getting the GPS to work, took it up. These days it is very windy and I don’t want to test it in strong wind but I didn’t have an option as this is my only available time. Before the flight, you will see the baro kicking in as I holding it, moving it up and down.

During the flight the baro&GPS combination were activated multiple times. First one minute or so, I am trying to trim the unit to get it to stabilize a little bit. The first baro&GPS activation was at 2:10 minute mark and the unit lost altitude pretty fast, causing me to de-activate them right away. The second activation is at 3 minute mark and a couple of more times after that. You can hear the fan adjusting to compensate when I activate it. However, this test was more challenging than my first one last a couple of weeks ago, as the unit slowly lost altitude this time, with the fan kicking in and out in a rough manner. I didn’t change the settings, but that day there was no wind at all. I believe this is the difference. The sensor is affected by the wind. So, I will need to cover the controller and test it again, to see if it fixes that problem.

When it comes to GPS, I kinda felt some added stability when I activated it but the unit still moved slovly with the wind. So, I will have to make some PID changes on that. I was able to connect to the FC via Bluetooth and my phone, which will make it very convenient to test in the field with various settings.

I would appreciate any tested valuable methodology on how to set the PID for GPS and Baro, as I have never tried those before.

Thank you for checking out. Enjoy the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GypskvdVBKk

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 154

This is very interesting.
I am looking forward to seeing what kind of robotic applications you come up with for this gadget

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

Thx Max! I will kepp on posting as I find time.

The first test was in a calm weather and I didn't experience this BARO problem. So I will cover the flight controller to avoid violent air movements and see.

Before this tho I am working on the GPS to hold the code when unplugged. Looks like the battery that preserves RAM is depleted. I detached the original tiny battery and tried it with another 1.5 V battery no luck but the second test with a 3V battery is more promising. I'll wait a day or two and see if it reverts back to the original code or not.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

I believe my solution to the GPS code reverting back to factory default worked. One day after I hooked it up to a 3V external battery, the code is impact. It connected to i2c when I booted it up. I will keep this battery external and replace it as needed, which shouldn't be any sooner than a coupe of years, being 10 times larger than the original that was on the GPS.

Attaching a pic of what I did. Next step is making sure the baro sensor is not impacted with airflow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160410_172918.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	915506  
Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

This is where I got so far:

- The GPS unit was moved to the middle from the side.

- The tiny internal battery if the GPS was replaced with a 3V larger external battery to preserve the code from reverting to factory default,

- The Bluetooth module was placed under the FC, to be able to adjust PID in the field with my phone.

- The sides, front and back of the FC was covered to stop airflow affecting the BARO. The back was covered with a transparent plastic so I can see what the FC is doing.

Hoping to do a test tomorrow and see what it does…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160414_174046.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	922225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_174052.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	922233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_174055.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	922241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_174102.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	922249  

Old 04-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

That Bluetooth gui software completely messed up the controller, to the extent that I had to flash it twice, erasing every little bit of information stored in it. Even the nozzle algorithm was messed up!!!

Below is the video of the second test. I believe the P setup was as follows:
Baro:6.8
Pos:1
Posr:2
Navr:2

Very windy day. You will see me shoot the unit forward and activate the baro/gps combination on the way back a couple of times; at 1:40 and 2:40 minute marks and somewhere towards the end.

No luck. First of all, baro is inconsistent. Sometimes it holds the altitude, sometimes not. Overall it still loses altitude. The GPS didn’t do too much to hold the position either.

Next test will be with the following setup:
Baro:10
Pos:2
Posr:10
Navr:6

I know that it is a big jump up in the values but I want to see the GPS do something, even if it over compensates.

Good news is that the balance problems that I had with the unit are completely resolved. It feels very confident with the GPS tower on it… Fun to fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSXg...ature=youtu.be

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

This is my second test after the last video and my first successful GPS and altitude lock with some amazing close-ups! A little shaky but from 1:35 minute mark to the end I didn’t touch pitch/roll/yaw. I was in control of the throttle until 3:32 minute mark. GPS is a little over compensating but the unit was trapped in a 1m circle. Here is the recipe that worked:

Baro:4.8
Pos:1.9
Posr:8

Considering the wind, I am not surprised that it was doing the rotational move. However, I feel the need to ease the P values a little more. I will probably test below next:

Baro:4.0
Pos:1.8-1.7
Posr:7

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9CyDdNLTs

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #9
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 13

Look what I happen to come across....its near the end of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnUjoE1dRF4
Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

Hey bud! Yeah, looks cute

After the last video I had a rough landing and somehow that GPS got damaged I guess. It continuously lost GPS lock during the flight. It took me a while to figure that the problem was hardware rather than the tuning.

Plugged in another GPS and all good. Eased PID a little, now it moves smoother and isn’t as shaky as before. The GPS&Baro lock at 00:25 and I didn’t touch the controls until 4:40.

You can see how the wind pushes the unit away from me at 4:40, the moment I turn the GPS off. During the GPS and baro lock, it slowly wandered in an area of 10-15m diameter but always ended up where it started. Stable. Kinda weird watch it fly without touching the sticks

Good test…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yReF...ature=youtu.be

+ YouTube Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.