Your experiences with UPS - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I used FedEx for my 28% ARF Edge. They still had brokerage fees but were not as bad.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #12

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by Hughes500E
I'd be phoning the two Cdn ones since they're not replying to emails. Ya never know!
Lockport is still closer to me than Kingston or Napean. Plus I could get U.S.-priced gas
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:46 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
My wife works for UPS and I'm amazed they make any money. They run the place like idiots! But she says you can clear your own package and save a whack of money!
She was also saying they don't really care about the average guy using their service, they want the big accounts, big companies with regular shipments, the little guy is a pain!

Kevin Station
KStation is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor

UPS rip-off's

I've used them and swore I'ld NEVER use them again. Brokerage fees and damage was their downfall for me.
Think about it!
Would you give your fragile package to a company that deliberately calls themselves OOOPS (UPS)?
Rob Harway
Sun Parlor Flyers
Windsor, Ontario

"Artificial Intelligence is no substitute for Natural Stupidity"
Rammer64 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

I ordered a graphics card off eBay that was shipped via UPS. It took two weeks to get here from Florida. The worst carriers are USPS (United States Postal Service) and Canada Post. I ordered a CPU from some guy in Upstate New York. Just a hop over the border but it took almost a month to arrive.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: Paul S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14 mz
# of RCs: ???

repost of recent UPS experience form another forum

Hi guys, I have just recently received my newly updated Kangaroo from Composite Arf. They usually ship to Canada using "Conway". The shipping was 120.00 us to Windsor. The shipper called me to say if I wanted to clear the customs or have them do it, I decided to do it my self, being that I just got dinged by UPS. All I payed was taxes, which were around $89.00 CAN and saved myself some good money not paying any broker fees. Now you ask how I got dinged by UPS, well I ordered the wing bags from Composite Arf at the same time I ordered the Roo, the wings bags must have not come from the same warehouse because it came to me by UPS. Now the box is 14" by 14" by 14" and weighting about one and half pounds. Wing bags were $35.00 us and I already paid for them when I purchase the roo. When UPS arrived at my door ( they always come when I am away or forgot to tell the wife it was coming, or didn't even know they were coming) they required $37.50 can in order for my wife to receive the package, so she, not knowing what it was. I was away for 5 days to hear of this when I arrived. Now lets see $37.50 fee for a $35.00 us package, now that don't sound right to me. So I called up the UPS headquarters asked about this charge, of course I had to ask for the person who was really in charge. I got a gentlemen who was kinda helpful, I kept insisting on getting my money back. Here is what he said;
"We automatically charge $18.00 for brokerage and some other amount for paper work, which is a percentage of the value of the package. In this case my total was $30.00 for them and $7.50 for duty".
He also said that they automatically charge brokerage fee for any item over $20.00, but if they come to your house with the package and with a brokerage fee, just decline it and he will take it back to UPS depot and leave it there for 5 days, for you to declare the customs yourself. Now do you think my wife would even Know all about that, the answer is NO. In the end he decided to give my $30.00 back, but he insisted that next time i just not accept the package, hmmmmm. I can just see it now, "sorry sir, we sent the package back because you did not accept the package" I'll deal with that when the next time does occur.

I hope I didn't bore you guys to sleep reading all this, but I thought I would share some of my trivial pursuits of UPS.

Update as of July 24, they did credit my card for the $30.00

Sundownee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #17
Robbie Preston
RCC Noob

As a former commerial shipper/importer I used them a lot. but that was befor 9-11. The world of shipping changed. Find your self a drop point in the US at the broader. And do your own brokerage. You will save time but you will also understand while they all charge so much for small packages. The paper work is not that bad once you understand it.

Pay the duty and Gst it is cheaper then loosing your car.

Robbie Preston is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:32 PM   #18
RCC Junior Contributor

Canada Post

Originally Posted by orenda635
I ordered a graphics card off eBay that was shipped via UPS. It took two weeks to get here from Florida. The worst carriers are USPS (United States Postal Service) and Canada Post. I ordered a CPU from some guy in Upstate New York. Just a hop over the border but it took almost a month to arrive.
A little surprised at your comments in regard to the USPS. I have had nothing but good service from them and I can ship a 1lb package priority anywhere in the US for $3.85 with a 2-3 day delivery. Many many packages sent out and they have never let me down. Two days delivery is actually more common than three!
As we live close to the Michigan/Ontario border we try not to mail stuff across - I get stuff in Canada sent to my daughter's in Toronto and if I want to mail stuff to a Canadian address it usually goes out of Sarnia or Windsor on one of our frequent trips. This is to avoid customs paperwork and the new CanPost "Inspection fee' charged on anything entering Canada.
Canada Post on the other hand - well!! Two specific examples:-
1) Four weeks for an envelope to get from Windsor to my Father-in-law in Cardinal (just east of Brockville). Yup, still in Ontario!
2) Ten (yes 10!) weeks for a package mailed in Tillsonburg to get to Toronto. Took so long we were filing an insurance claim! That was what, a whole 250Km?

I also find a lot more of my Canadian mail has been "accidentally" damaged/opened - especially envelopes with cards in that could have had cash inside. You know - the neat accidental slit at one end! Never received one that way here!

From where I sit, Can-Post's track record just is not there. Makes me wonder where yours actually got held up!
Keith J
Secretary-Radio Control Club of Detroit
RCCA member #622
AMA# 717601
Ex-MAAC (Oshawa)
lightning is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #19
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

I use UPS twenty or thirty times a year shipping from US point to US point,quite cheaply and usually three days max,with never a hassle.
The trouble starts when you use them to ship from the US to Canada.
Much better to maintain a US address and ship there,then go pick the stuff up and clear Canada customs and pay the taxes........there are no duties.
I dont understand the reference to brokerage and paper work........I have never had to do any when bringing stuff in from the US.
I agree with the above about not trying to avoid the dont want to get on revenue Canada,s oaf list when you live in a border community,especially in these days of computer license plate readers.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.