New battery packs from Turnigy - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: New battery packs from Turnigy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
500+ from zippy packs is impressive. How do you keep count? How many amps is your jet pulling? I mark every flight on my packs to keep track and to see how long they last.
My last Zippy began losing punch after 6 flights. Others were done in less than 2 dozen flights but then my EDF's are drawing right around 100amps at peak. The Nanotech packs were better than Zippy but still provided less than 1/2 the cycles of my favorite packs.

Gens Ace have consistently given around 75 flights or more before getting weak with the same treatment.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Dangaras
RCC Master Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Yes. I've been watching two packs in particular, 6S, 5000, 30C that I've been flying in a corsair.

7 times a week, 7 months a year, going on the 5th year....

I'm happy.

P.S. all the nano-techs I've ever had suck A$$. Never lasted more than one year! Absolute garbage. Zippy and Rhinos treated right always give me performance. They do decrease and they do get used in WARBIRDS. So I'm never over stressing out doing stupid things like punching then for no reason.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Have you checked the amp draw? Is the corsair the prop version or jet? At half the draw or less you will get better longevity.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

For prop planes HK zippy are fine. Good value for sure!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. This is the electric jets thread.
It is important we don't compare apples and oranges.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Dangaras
RCC Master Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

That's the issue, I size my packs appropriately. But I killed quite a few along the way.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #16
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

I've used HK batteries since I've started doing the jets, mostly due to their low cost. And as a result, I have several dozen. None have performed as advertised, but since I have lots, I normally have several for each plane so they are not used as much as most guys who may have only a couple of packs.

The Nano packs for my higher amp planes seem to puff up within a few cycles, but seem to still work for awhile. However, for my lower amp planes they seem fine.

But, thats why I'm switching over to Thunder Power batteries, outside the complaints that they are more expensive compared to the others, they have yet puffed up and perform cooler.

I guess there are just no short cuts, you get what you pay for.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MartinZ
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

These batteries have become very popular at our club by many of those who are into FPV quad racing. Apart from the fact that they are suppose to have greater charge cycles, the performance in comparing these against other high C Turnigy and Zippy batteries has been noticeable with everyone indicating they have more punch. This does come at a cost of being a little heavier. I just picked up a couple of their 3S 65C batteries to try in my quad, yes I have entered this sport. I will be comparing them against my Great Hobbies 1300mah 50C batteries. Will post my results.

Marty
SARPLT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #18
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Sorry for the delay in posting my results with the Graphene batteries. I did some comparisons with the 1300mah 3S 65C compared to the Great Hobbies 1300mah 3S 50C batteries that I am using in my quad. The GH batteries are giving me a 3 min flight after which they are very warm, voltage down to an average of 3.73 volts per cell. On a couple of 3 min flts one of the four batteries went below 3.7v. In comparison the Graphene batteries were giving me 4 min flights, were much cooler after the flight and the voltage was around 3.75v on each cell. They definitely have more capacity.

I had an interesting battery problem this past week with my Freewing 90mm Typhoon. I tested the EDF on the bench with an older Turnigy 5000 mah 25- 45C 6S battery and was getting about 3kg thrust but when I went to maiden it I used a brand new Zippy 5000 25C 6S battery (due to weight and CofG restrictions). The aircraft had a lack of power and had difficulty to rotate on take off. After testing both batteries in the aircraft the Zippy was giving me 1650 watts while the Turnigy battery was giving me 2165 watts. Significant difference which was noticeable during the next flight. I guess C rating does matter. Now I have to purchase more 6 S batteries and am thinking about going with the Graphene batteries but will likely have to go with a 4000mah vs 5000mah due to the increased weight of these batteries. There is always a dilemma between whether to go with a larger capacity lower C rating or lower capacity higher C rating for a given weight. In my case I need the higher C rating.

Cheers
Marty
Old 08-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #19
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I have purchased many HK batteries over the years and although the Zippy's appear to be a bargain, they simply don't stand up to repeated use when drawing close to 90amps or more. Other HK batteries don't far much better. I switched to Gens Ace over 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Now my batteries routinely get well over 100 cycles. My last Zippy went lame after 6.
I did get a Graphine pack to try from HK but it was only 4S 2200 which doesn't work in any of my jets. From what I observed flying it in a friends small L39 it works well but is very large and was hard to fit in the small jet.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Where are you buying the Gen Ace batteries from and what are the prices and weights of the 5000mah 6S. My problem is that I need to stay within the 730 - 780g weight range so that it does not affect the CofG.

Thanks
Marty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.