.60 Size Goldberg Super Chipmunk - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
.60 Size Goldberg Super Chipmunk

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a couple of questions for anyone with experience with this plane.

A. What would be a fair price to pay for this plane, built in 1989 with a cracked up cowl and a .61 Webra (Black Head) and all AM radio gear with old servos.

B. Has anyone had a problem with the tail wagging as it flys in a straight line.

C. Has anyone had an issue with the rudder being a bit sloppy? The connections seem secure on both ends and the nirods are in securely. Not sure, but my next step is to cut into the covering on the fuse under the stab. That done, I will be able to see the connection from the nirod to the rudder.

Any info is appreciated.

jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Ed Smith

I would not even buy it after your description.

However if you are truly desperate $50.00 max.

The radio is obsolete, who knows what state the engine is in and it sounds as if the airframe needs some attention, that you can see. What about what you cannot see.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Does sound like a bit of a scarey purchase... offer to take it off their hands for as little as they will take , then spend some time repairing it, install a new (or good used) engine and radio and you're good to go.
Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Andrew B

I built this plane myself back in early 90's. Very good flying plane. The problems with yours.. I dunno. Mine didn't have any tail wag... But, when it fly, what a machine.

If you do a little inspecting, you may find it is just a kinor issue, or the kit was not well put together. Either way, don't give them any more than $50.00. Could be a total write-off.

If she is well put together, you will certainly enjoy flying it.
Canadiank-9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I had one of these planes about 4 years ago and it is one of the most awsome flying planes I have flown. This plane will do tumbling manovers that even some of the big guys can't do. I had origionally installed an OS 61 two stroke engine and then replaced it with a Saito 91. What a beautiful combination of plane and power!

As I recall mine did have a slight wobble to the rudder. Not sure what the cause was but it didn't interfere too much with the control. A friend had one at the same time and his had the same slight wobble so I thought it just might be inherent with this model.

As has been said, AM radio is now, for the most part obsolete! As for the engine, I would be hard pressed to trust it being in any kind of good shape unless it was well oiled and stored properly! You'd probably have to take it apart to see if the bearings are rusted or any other internal problems. With the work required to do the repairs, I would think it would only be worth what has been suggested for the plane itself.

If your into doing these kinds of repairs, you'll end up with an awsome flying plane. I tried retracts in mine and found it not worth all the trouble this caused. Stay with the fixed gear and bend them well forward of the leading edge of the wing. They do have a tendency to nose over!

MHO only!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
RCC Contributor

Thanks for all of the comments fellas. I did buy the plane for probably more than it is worth, however, the engine was stored well and was stored with lots of oil in it. Compression seems good and it has an in cowl pitts muffler. After tearing the copvering off of the bottom of the plane, I discovered that the nirods were not glued to anything. I did this about every 6 inches down the fuse and they still seem to have play inside the actual rods?? I think I will rip them both out and replace them with either carbon rods or new nirod??? I have a freind that is giving me a used but unblemished cowl and canopy for it. The airframe is dry and free of oil soaking and seems well built. I had to C.A some spots inside the fuse tat seemed to have popped loose, and it is quite solid and straight now. Seems like it is pretty light for a plane of this size. Any further comments would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
Ditch the Ny-rods and put in carbon fibre rods. No shrink or stretch with temperature, no (or hardly any) flex either!!

for the few extra bucks, they're well worth it.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
Bearly Flying
RCC Apprentice
I am: Don F
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 1
Joe: I have the Chipmunk with a S.T. 75 in it, it also has a bit of tail wagging, I believe it is caused by the airflow around the canopy disturbing the the flow around the rudder. A lot of fullsize planes had similar problems when they first started using bubble canopies. Maybe try increasing the size of the dorsal fin slightly.
They are a great flying plane, just keep an eye on the gear legs, they sure nose over easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000385.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	3896  
Bearly Flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

I flew one of these with a webra .60 in it for about 9 years, i really love this plane, it will fly nice and slow like a trainer or punch it and it will do just about everything. Try increaseing the size of the fin ahead of the stab, this should help improve the "wag" you are experiencing, but the "wag " doesn't really affect the flight performance too much, as was mentioned, bend the gear forward as it does have a tendencie to nose over.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 AM   #10
RCC Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys!! Bearly, I have not yet flown the Chipmunk. The fella that sold it to me spoke of the tail wagging. The covering scheme of your Chipmunk looks awesome....mine is still the original scheme. I plan to re-cover over the winter months.

WildBill, was your webra really loud?? This one is a real screamer with the strap on pitts style muffler. If you have any info on where I could get an in-cowl muffler that is more quiet I would be interested.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.