TT .46 and heat - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 AM   #11
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just one more thought, I had an almost-similar problem. Engine worked fine until one day quit in flight - 2 times in a row .
Thought it was dirt in carb, so next night took carb all apart & cleaned (didn't find any problem, but who knows). Added fuel filter .
Now it wouldn't run at all. Just start for 1/2 second, then quit. No matter what I did with needle valve, just not getting enough fuel.
I finally had the thought "no tank pressure" - poked a wire through the pressure tap into the muffler, and bingo, fired right up and works great again.
Don't know what blocked it, surely not the first thing you would look for!
The_Big_H is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #12
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dylan S

i am having troubles with my tt 46 as well. my idle screw is only about 1/8 turn open. i know that can't be right but the low end works fine (5 seconds to kill it with pinch test, no hesitation from idle to full) My high needle is 3 1/2 out. When i run it up on the ground, it takes about 10 seconds of WOT to get over 300 degrees. Power drops off and returning to idle kills the engine. This motor has just been rebuilt with new bearings, totally cleaned and sealed up with high temp silicone. The o-ring on the needle valve has been replaced as well.
This motor is not performing to what i had expected. Its on a 4 1/2 pound omp edge profile with a apc 11.5X4 and climb out from a hover is pathetic.
I have had a couple lean runs with it before. is it junk now?
dstuber is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Might I recommend a 12.25 x 3.75 prop (bit more than what you have now) This is the prop I use on my fun flies with a .46FX. These planes are not meant to work continuous at full throttle as the revs are high. Also, check for any holes in your fuel line that might be leaning out the mixture.

Blowing out the needle valve assembly (remove needle and pump fuel through) would take any garbage out that might be there.

Never give up on an engine

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:56 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice

i ran a 12.25X 3.75 last year but don't anymore because it slowed the throttle response. it might be worth it to try it again since i didn't have these problems last year.
Could having the engine mounted on its side have anything to do with it leaning out? This engine was first mounted on a magic extra. ran perfect. next it was a phoenix sukhoi 46. it was mounted on its side and i had overheating issues even with the cowl off. after that it was on a twist 3d, again no problems whatsoever. now, its side mounted again on a profile and the problem is back.
There's no junk in the carb as this happened on its first flights after a complete tear down. I'll reseal everything and check the fuel lines though.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #15
RCC Apprentice

Problem solved. I had a leaky needle valve, even with a brand new o ring on. i wrapped some teflon thread tape around the needle valve and my engine runs great. I was able to lean it about 3/4 turn and could go a bit more too. 12 flights since i fixed it and no deadsticks and no more overheating. My low needle is still 1/8 open but the bottom end is rich so i won't worry about it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.