Old 03-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
New Members

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is your club doing to get new members? What kind of events do you run at the field to peak the interest of the present members?

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: New Members

Among other things, we make it known that we welcome drone fliers. That is the way of the future and we already have a lot of interest and new members because of this. Look at all the kids that "want a drone for Christmas". If they are not flying at a club then they are flying somewhere else. Its a shame that some clubs flat out refuse to have any around. Then they complain of all the careless drone operators.

At our club they fly in a proper environment and not in some park with people all around.

This is the club banner on the main page of our website:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banner.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	900618  
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

lucky folks of Aurora! what a great attitude.

our all-things-RC club had similar approach, till the landowner sold and new owner decided he did not want RC field there any more

so now I am member of a new club .. which allows only drones, LOL. well it is just a MultiGP racing league, but has 36 members since opening last November! Main draw is that we have regular race events 1-2 a month, and this is shared on MultiGP website. Membership is free and open to anyone, but have to have MAAC and pay for the facility rentals at each event. The main site used for training is also free, open to anyone, and plenty of fixed wing flyers there too

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 04-03-2016 at 02:27 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

We have always had a pretty open minded attitude toward new members at our club and have struggled to try and attract new members for years. We have never been in a position to have to consider a membership cap, our top number of members peaked about 15 years ago at 24. Since then it has been a steady decline. Presently we are at 2 active members, 1 occasional and 2 "Wonna fly but... " s!

Over the years I have tried numerous approaches to attracting new membership, some with limited temporary success and some a complete wash. I even suspected at one time that the fault could be me so dropped the club for several years and when I came back there was nobody left and the grass was unmowed, buildings shabby etc.

I believe we have several challenges that may be insurmountable:
1)small population base - town of 1000 people.
2)no hobby shops less than 3 hours one way that folks can drive to and physically hold a model.
3)lack of industry that would encourage young people to stay in the community past high school.
4)last but not least, the instant gratification electronic gadget scene!

Unless someone can come up with a new idea that I haven't already tried I am not going to waste any more time dragging people with no ambition or interest out to the field. My motto has changed to "If you are serious about this hobby, come and see me and I will bend over backward to help you but it's totally up to you to show the initiative!"
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.