Facet 1200 maiden flight... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Facet 1200 maiden flight...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Did the maiden flight on my Wren MW54 today. It last about 8 sec....Stop at the beginning of the runway, half throttle about 50 feets then full throttle after about 180-200 feets pull-up then the plane almost snap to the right and crash..Dont know why..I have a 4.3 megs video of it but i cant host it. Someone can do it for me?? Maybe it will help to see what i did wrong...Everything was at '0' with an incidence meter...I'm kind of down now...
Sorry for my bad english
ClaudePerron is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Sorry to hear about you crash. I know how you must feel.
I know it is a silly question but your Ailerons were not reveresed correct?

The other thing that comes to mind is either that there was not enough power and it stalled or the C of G was not set correctly.

Anyhow, Kevin will chip in I am sure since he flies his Facet regularly.

Really sorry again,

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Sorry to hear about your crash. My AV8R had a similar start in life. I then rebuilt it and continued to have problems until I sorted everything out. Now it flies fine. I am sure you will figure out what went wrong, especially after watching the video a few times. Good luck and keep at it!

Is it rebuildable?
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:03 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Here is the video Clip

Here is the video of the mishap. It looks to me like it didn't have enough air speed and stalled but just my two cents. Facet1200 Crash
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'm really sorry about the crash. I watched the video several times..the only observation was that the right wing dropped as soon as the jet was rotated...why? I can't tell...

Rebuild it, double check everything - incidences, control throws and direction, thrust angle, cg - everything! Then get someone else to double check that....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:53 AM   #6
RCC Contributor

Very sorry about your crash. I really hope you can rebuild without too much effort.

I had a look at your video and I think I can outline some contributing factors, if not nail down the cause.

I froze the picture just before your right wing dropped, and after some very crude measurements I found your fuselage reference line was in excess of 20 degrees above the horizon. Given that your angle of climb was not very high, I would estimate less than 5 degrees, that leaves you with an angle of attack of over 15 degrees, which is the stalling angle for a typical wing. So, I think it stalled. Why did the right wing drop during the stall? Well this could be due to many (almost chaotic) factors, including wind, asymmetric aircraft balance, asymmetric ailerons, torque, slight wing warp, etc. Any or all of these may be at play. Of course, the torque from your (very nice) little jet engine is not that high but it will induce some gyroscopic forces, which may also affected the way it behaved after it stalled.

Anyway, how do stop that from happening again? First, the video seems to indicate that the time at mil power was not that long, (about 3 seconds) so although you had a seemingly long takeoff roll, the spoolup time reduced the thrust of your engine and this contributed to a low airspeed at rotation. Also, you undoubtedly got more "nose up" than you probably wanted at rotation, which is commonly called an over-rotation. The over-rotation caused the stall. What caused the over-rotation?

Your airplane is one big balancing act, both in the air and on the ground. If your C of G is relatively far FORWARD, or your main wheels are relatively AFT of your C of G, then your elevator has to produce a greater force to move your nose UP to effect rotation. Also, if your main/nosegear combination caused your wing incidence to be negative, (i.e., your nose pointed slightly downward while sitting on its wheels) then as you increase airspeed your wing will actually be working AGAINST a rotation. Then your elevator has to work against the wing until the airspeed increases to the point where it is effective enough to overcome the downforce of the wing and WHOOSE, you get a big over-rotation. It happened to me with one of my models. Look at an A-4 Skyhawk and note how high the nose is while the aircraft is on the ground. Undoubtedly, this is to help effect a predictable rotation. The F-18 uses rudder toe-in to allow provide extra nose-up force for takeoff rotation.

So what does it all mean? None of these things may have happened to you, or maybe small bits of all of these factors were at play. I canít really tell from the video. However, here are some things I would check:

- make sure the nose is not pointed down while sittin gon the ground- raise nose wheel if necessary;
- make sure the main wheels are not located too far aft ( maybe bend them forward slightly);
- make sure the C of G is with in recommended limits;
- give yourself more time at max power before you rotate-consider spooling up against brakes or have a partner hold the jet;
- don't use too much up elevator to rotate;

I hope this wasn't too long and I hope this info helps. Happy flying!

waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice

I checked the ailerons, no reversing. I haved about a 10km/h wind straight in front of me. It look like a pulled it out too soon, even if it was beginning to feel light on the wheels. So probably dumb thumb...Gee....

I will be out for 4-5 days so watch the Vids and give me feed back....

Since only about 2 month left for flying, i'm thinking to order a Kangaroo 2. I never rebuilt a crashed plane.
Sorry for my bad english
ClaudePerron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
If that was a propeller driven plane I would say you didn't have enough airspeed and stalled on takeoff. (maybe a little too much elevator?) Only my bigger engines will forgive me for pulling up that fast.

I would say get back on the horse. Your first flight is a BIG learning experience because you have no idea how the plane will fly.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I also agree... I think you were not going fast enough when you tried to climb way too steeply. I usually take off and let the jet accelerate another few hundred feet allmost barely climbing up before I start feeding in more elevator to make certain it is going fast enough.

are you using brakes? try spooling up the engine to full power before you lrelease them, or if not just accelerate a lot faster and let the model build up more ground speed before you ease it off the runway.

I would rebuild it though, it should be ideal for your location.

It sucks to crash, but I have had my share and just let it go for a week or so and then you wont feel so bad. Then get to fixing it!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Claude, sorry to here about your Facet's mishap.... I agree with the other guy's comments based on the video footage you have, It looks like she stalled due to too low a flying/liftoff speed. How much elevator application did you use? or did she lift off almost by itself? as this may indicate wether CG or a trim issue. Your runway also looks shortish from what I could see, If possible for you I would personally recommend maybe flying her first from a larger field for maiden flights until model is trimmed and comfortable with models flight manners. Bring her down to our 3000' Picton clubs sealed runway for testing if you like.
JET FX- Warbirds & Jets
Marty C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.