Stupid things we do while building! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
During my first ever build I dripped a big puddle of CA on the table. Not knowing, I set my elbow in the puddle while holding some parts together to the time the parts were dry my arm was stuck to the table.....was fun trying to get the CA debonder a few feet away I was only about 12 then and I was scared that I was gonna be stuck there until dad came home!

Align R/C, OS Engines, Futaba, Great Hobbies, Hatori, SGP, Morgan Fuels, Castle Creations
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jean-Guy

Total Props: 0
man this is an awsome thread,I have teers running down my face from laughing.
The worst thing I ever did is when I opened up my first bottle of thin CA.I was holding the bottle in one hand and a Xacto knife in the other to cutt off the end of the tip of the bottle.anyway to make a story short,I glued both my eyes

there is one stunt most of us aren't proud of
jeang is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor

I'm sure many of us have done this. I know I've done it twice. Finished a covering job worthy to be proud of and while putting the last screw in the aileron servo the screw driver slipped and went right through the wing. Actually the first time I did it I had just finished trimming the last edge of covering on my wing and dropped the exacto knife right through. Now I use single edged razor blades for covering.

If you don't have time to do it right this time, how are you going to have time to do it again?
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:40 PM   #24
CLark Freeman
RCC Apprentice
I am: Clark F

Scared myself silly once...
I was cleaning up my airbrush, an external mix, and used my little two ounce jar of assorted thinners. (It was a few weeks worth of acetone, pactra thinners and paints, laquer thinner, and God only knows what else)

Hooked it up to the compressor and tried shooting some thinner mix through it but nothing was coming out. I figured that the paint body was plugged so I gave it a little blow with my mouth against the paint syphone end. Unfortunately it wasn't the body that was blocked, but the breather hole on the jar. I heard the bubbles of my blow and before I could event think about the consequences as a jet of assorted chemicals was being shot down my throat.

I gagged and spit and immediately called the Poison Control number in the phone book. After relating the story to the lady on the other end of the line, and describing the contents as best I could, she indicated I would be alright as long as I didn't inhale any of it... I burped all afternoon and each time it smelled/tasted like paint thinner.
Clark Freeman

Ottawa, Ontario
MAAC# 28668
CLark Freeman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #25
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1
Here's one of just carelessness.

Hanging up my work in progress (Sea Fury wing) which was hanging right behind the Beech Craft. Had to move the Beech foreward a bit to get it in. Wing fell out of my hands, the Beech followed it. Snapped the wing in half, snapped the tail off the Beech.

Talk about
Adam S.
Warbird_ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #26
RCC Expert Contributor

I remember my first trainer/plane. It was a Hobbico Sturdy Birdy. What a piece of junk! Anyways I was at the point in the construction process where I had to coat the firewall in epoxy inorder to fuel proof it. The bottles of epoxy said "5 minutes" so i figured that after it fully cured in a hour i'd be good to go. So I put some epoxy on and take a break. Went at it the next evening and the epoxy hadn't hardened yet. I was only 12 at the time and I hadn't learned the value in reading the instructions. I quickly found out that it hardens much faster when you actually mix hardener with the epoxy. What a mess trying to get the epoxy off!

About a year after this I decided to build a Freedom 20. I took the motor out of the Sturdy Birdy (Magnum 25 GP, which was an amazingly tough, powerful motor) and put it in the Freedom. For some reason the motor wouldn't start. I was really puzzled because this motor had always worked very well. I tried to prime it by blowing in the exhaust line but for some reason it wasn't working. I changed the plug. Nothing. Tore the motor down and inspected it. Nothing. Took the fuel tank apart and checked it twice. Nothing. Took the carb apart and cleaned it. Still wouldn't work. Bought some fresh fuel and tried that. Nothing. All in all i bet I spent 10 hours trying to get the motor going but i just couldn't do it. Finally I checked the needle was fully closed. DOH! I opened it up about 3 turns and it started right up. I felt really stupid. Oh well. I learned my lesson.
MAAC #50437
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:31 PM   #27
RCC Apprentice

Originally Posted by voyager_663rd
Originally Posted by Brijim
Try starting an engine backwords
With the close tolerances now, it happens 8 times out of 10 for me when flipping my 46 with a stick (happened today too on my 91fs).

Not so odd really. Just unintentional.
That makes me feel alot better!!!!
Brijim is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:39 PM   #28
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Dang CA...........

My experience with CA is legendary............but the time I couldn't get the top off the bottle so I clenched it in my teeth and the whole end broke off..........that stuff ran down my chin and all my hairs on my chest stuck to my shirt and I looked like Buckwheat from the OUR GANG down I use pliers now.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #29
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

One of my favourites happened to a friend of mine. We were both fairly new to the hobby, and were beginning to realise the power of CA. I went over to his house one evening to help break in a new engine on one of his planes. We spent several minutes talking about the model in his basement before heading outside to run it in. While we were talking, I was sitting on a chair, and he was sitting on the workbench. When he got up to go outside, he realized he couldn't... he had been sitting on a bottle of thin CA!!! it took 4 hours and 2 bottles of acetone to get him "unstuck" from the workbench. It was definitely the funniest 4 hours of my life!!
I don't know what we're YELLING ABOUT! ......... LOUD NOISES ! ! !
Fox 22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #30
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jim B

Yep... did a few. Had the balsa held in perfect position with my left hand and reached for the CA only to realize the tip was plugged, so I stuck the tip in my mouth to bite off the the plug... ended up sticking my tongue to the back of my front teeth!
jimb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.