Need help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Need help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Went to the field this evening to fly my "Pattern Master" which i had recently maidend, and got set up. I went up for my first flights doing a couple circuts first. then did 3 rolls and then set up for a loop. I came into the loop and exited when all of the sudden I hear a fluttlering sound and i thought "oh god my wing is going to fly off!". but no. i slowed the speed down immediatly and the fluttering stopped but my plane drifted off to one side so i brought it in for a quick landing and went to pick up my plane. I walked over to my plane, but my wing was still firmly attached. so i moved the control surfaces but my left aileron wasn't moving much. i flipped the plane over and saw that the tourqe rod had broken right thru the bottem of the aileron (see pics below). So this ended my flying day. But now i have no idea how to fix this at all. Do i patch up the broken area? Do i get a whole new aileron? I have absolutley no idea what to do. And now i am very worried about the oher aileron even though it shows no weaknesses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MikeCo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

First of all, never where clean white socks while working on a model

OK, the simplest repair would be to epoxy some 1/32 light ply (A small square, exceeding the size of the plastic control horn base), on either side of the aileron where the horn screws into nd redrill some holes.

If the balsa in the aileron feels weakened, you can extend the plywood block by 1/2 inch on either side for stability. Just make sure you use the the same size for both sides (top/bottom). If you are worried about the other aileron, you can repeat on that side too. Just cover over the plywood to protect it.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Nuker I think you misunderstod what has happend i dont think he mean the control horn because his setup doesnt have them. with a torque rod setup there is a steel rod that goes into the airleron and then is bent in a S like shape and coms out of the top of the wing inside the fuse. To tell you the truth i have never had this happen to me and not totaly sure what the best way of fixing it would be. Was the hole a little off center. ? Can you epoxy the wire in and use some lite ply to cover it ?
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I would use epoxy on the side where the rod is exposed and make it flush. After it sets take a pin on the other side and also the other aileron put holes in both sides and saturate with thin ca. It looks like the rods where not glued in. I always insert the ends in epoxy. Mkes them solid and no flutter.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
salty morgan
RCC Contributor

hey great, your flying it

good for you. it's good your getting use out of the plane, and i'm impressed with how soon your flying it. we younger crowd have super nintendo thumbs, so i guess we can learn faster then the old farts!

except my own learning curve doesn't support this theory..

if you don't remember, i'm morgan, i have the bob the builder "sig somethin extra". i recently moved to shilo. i didn't get to say goodbye to gerald before he went to alberta, but he left his wattage decathlon, and a dining room table/work bench for me that's waiting for me to pickup in winnipeg. when i get a hold of him, i'll let him know you're flying the wings off that plane.

ps, if your the wrong mike, sorry
i do like to buy other peoples junk...

Bob the Builder is my pilot.

i wish i were more gruntled.

ch 41
salty morgan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
County C
RCC Contributor
I am: Geoff C

Ok, Ill have a go at this repair as well.
What I would do is strip the covering back about an inch on either side of the damage top and bottom. perforate the damaged area with a pin but don't poke through the aileron. Cut to fit a small piece of fiberglass cloth and fit that down in the damage, don't worry about it being perfect you just need it there to strengthen the epoxy so I doesn't crack during flight. Lay in some epoxy resin making sure the cloth is saturated and the resin gets right to the bottom of the damage and into those pin holes you made (instant epoxy nail). Don't fill the damaged area to the top, just less then flush. Let that cure to the gel state. In the mean time cut 2 pieces of 1/64 ply to fit 1/2 inch beyond the damage and perforate these and where these patches will cover the aileron as well but not all the way through. Once the epoxy previously applied to the damaged area is in the gel state (just to make it easier to fit the ply patches without spilling epoxy) fill the damaged area flush with fresh epoxy and apply a very thin film of epoxy to one side of the 1/64 patches and place them centered over the damaged area top and bottom of the aileron and clamp in place. You could add some micro balloons to the epoxy if you are worried about weight.
You can do the same for the other aileron but I would syringe in some CA before applying the patches.
Once everything is cured remove the clamps and patch over with your covering.

Hope that makes sense.

County C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice

Hey morgan,

You got it right mike. I just maidend the pattern master last friday and it flew great.

I like the idea's you guys are giving me, but i was wondering if they sell stock ailerons, that i can cut and fit to size at the hobby shop. I guess i can go check tommorow when it's open. I really don't know about patching the damage, cause i'm afraid it will just break again and i wont be able to land it (barely did this time).
Old 08-03-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

well after sitting at home all day deciding either to fill in the hole or make a new ailerons, i decided to play it safe and make two new ailerons for my wing. So I went to the hobby shop and bought two new ailerons. And this covering which came in a small sheet that was sticky so i didn't have to iron it on and some hinges. Got home and got to work cutting out the ailerons, sanding them to the right shape, covered them with the sticky covering (this stuff is awesome! whats it called?). And proceeded to to cut the slots for the hinges. Once i got them on it was perfect. you wouldn't be able to tell i made new ones. The color was a perfect match! I couldn't be happier with the job!

I'm letting it sit overnight and will fly it tommorow if the weater is right!

I feel more confident in a whole new aileron job because patching it seems to scetchy to me and i'm not a risk taker.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

i hope you epoxied the torque rods into the slots for them, it will make them nuch stronger and eliminate any slop that there might be.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I had an identical problem with my Big Stik. I had a torque rod setup for the ailerons and I would experience flutter at full throttle in level flight. I had replaced the ailerons with over sized (double) aileron stock and I think the extra area on the ailerons was too much for the one servo to handle. I have just recently recovered the wing and I put one servo for each aileron and got rid of the torque rods all together. Now I can fly without flutter even in a high speed dive. The torque rod setup has a little too much slop for the size of the ailerons I had installed and the air flow was strong enough to over power the servo and move the surfaces without my control. Now with the ailerons attached by a straight rod to the servo arm their is much less opportunity for flutter because there is very little slop and obviously no twisting of a torque rod present. Also there is one servo for each aileron instead of one servo for both.

Added bonus for one servo on each aileron is that you can mix the ailerons with your flap function and have flaperons.

Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.