RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: DM

Total Props: 3
Search and Rescue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well it was a beautiful evening here and I decided to go for a flight. My engine was all out of tune so I played with it and got it running nicely. I refueled and took off. Everything was going great until the end of the flight. My engine started going in and out and I was trying to rock the power and take her down. But it was way out over the woods and went in. A friend and I looked right up until dark with no luck. I'm going out again in the morning. Any search tips would be greatly appreciated please. It is the most awful felling leaving your plane lost in the woods. I'm going nuts hoping it's alright and I find it. Thanks Daniel
Famous last words, "Watch this!!".
Norm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
Bring a long rope with a piece of heavy wood attached. If your plane is in a tree, the rope/sling might be able to pull the plane down.

Good luck

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Dean

Offer to buy your pals a coffee if they come out and help you do a sweep of the woods
deano is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I have had good luck (with recovery, anyway) using my son's GPS receiver. I take a line on where I saw the plane last and start walking. I use the little LCD screen to establish a line and basically follow it. When I cross a creek, climb a hill or get detoured by an ostacle I use it to get back on my line and I have recovered three planes lately that were well out. On one, I started my timer at takeoff, and forgot about it when the plane crashed. Three of us put on protective gear to defeat the mosquitos and went hunting. When we got back, I remembered the timer, and it was 42 minutes 30 seconds after my takeoff, with the recovery complete.

The first one, after giving up the night before, I picked up the receiver at 7:56 AM. I drove about 10 miles to the field, took my line and went walking. I was back to the flight stone with the plane by 8:50 AM.

The way I've been flying lately, I better buy one of my own and keep it in my flight box, along with a garbage bag in each plane.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
One thing I do whenever I have a plane go down is take my transmitter with me.

Especially in woods you would be surprised how loud the servos and control surfaces can be in a quiet wooded area.

Unfortunately tomorrow your batteries will be dead in your receiver.

Good Luck!
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

If the plane is found and is higher than you can through a rope then the method I have used is to buy a adult recreational bow and arrow from Canadian Tire. Fasten a fishing line from a rod to the arrow then shoot the arrow well above the plane with the fishing reel in the cast position and stay out of the way of the unspooling fishing line. The line must come from a rod and through the guides on the rod to allow for a free spooling type of action. If there is the slightest friction on the line it will slow the arrow down and fall short. Needless to say make sure you have a safe area for the arrow to come down. Most often the arrow will come down with the line attached even through fairly heavy trees. Then once the line is down you attach a bigger rope/really good string to the fishing line and start reeling in pulling the heavier line back over the branch. Once you have BOTH ENDS of the heavy line you can yank like crazy and hopefully the plane will drop out without to much more damage then it already has sustained.

If you should happen to do this again, do not move from where you were standing while flying. Take your transmitter with the antenna fully extended and lay it on the ground with the antenna pointed towards the last place you saw the plane. Then leave it there so you can come back to it and still have the line of where it went down. A compass in your field box will be most helpful too.

To me, leaving a plane out over night is like leaving your lost dog in the woods over night, just pure agony.

Hope this helps.

Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: DM

Total Props: 3

Well my plane is still lost. I got up early this morning and searched for over an hour with no luck. I have heard that flying over in a full scale plane has helped many find lost planes. So now I think I am gonna try and get a ride at the airport from one of the guys. Thanks Daniel
Famous last words, "Watch this!!".
Norm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

I know how you feel
my ultrasport 40 decided to head north on it's own yesterday
something airborne electrical quit - battery, switch, the new receiver.
will likely never know. - but what a sinking feeling.
one of o ur club fellow has an ultralight Challenger and is gonna fly around where it may be

might get lucky
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
That's how I found my LT 40. Someone in the club knew someone who had a full scale and he asked him to fly over the next time he was up. Took no time for him to find it ( white plane, dark green trees ) . It was up a lot higher than I thought and therefore had to get a friend who does tree work to climb for it. He had the proper gear for this, I didn't.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I know how you feel. In 89 at Orillia (Atherly field) some gentlemen gave us permission to test our racer's out before the Nats. Everything was fine until it came to a brand new F1. Got about 6 laps in all trimmed out and mentioned to Chuck my friend that something was wrong. Watched it go north over the trees at full bore. We searched for a day with no luck. Next spring I got in the mail a ST engine/spinner and radio with the comments plane was a little broke and the pilot didn't survive.
All I can say is see if your friends will help and check further out. They get a lot farther out than you think.
Good luck,
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.