So long OS, bye Thunder Tiger hello 5% - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Exactly my opinons as well! I have even gone as far as to help someone (who I saw fiddling for 1/2 hour trying to get an engine to run) set up an engine, put a new plug and one of my own props (for free) and then test fly the plane for them proving the engine was running well.

Not 1/2 hour later they had their old prop back on, and started playing with the NV's again. I asked what- the? the guy said he thought the prop I put on wasnt right for the engine.

Frustrating... Yup! And then that same guy will claim that brand is garbage...

Fox engines are a whole different game. I have run some that were excellent, but many are known for their particular problems, and their is actually a website two fellows have run for a while dedicated to helping fox owners get their engines running great. Some of the fixes involve some machine work unfortunately so its not something everyone can do.

In the end, we have a great and varied selection of engines to choose from. Its unreal, really, how many brands are out there that do run so well and how few dont.

But also remember every company will let a lemon slip by one time or the other... that just life.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
So let's all say good bye to the old and hello MVVS so we can all do some flying for a change
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:09 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Great to meet you at the S.L.A.M. event today. Hope that reverse crank works out for you - when you're ready to go with the twin pop me a note and I'll come up and join you. I'm really happy with the way my MVVS .77 is running now - what a difference when you drop the nitro content. I was amazed by the quality, power, and quietness of the MVVS 25cc gassers the guys were running in their UltraSticks too, and I'm going to get me one for my Decathlon.

For the rest of you fellows on RCC, try out one of these engines when you get the chance - they are very well made, well priced and powerful.
BrianDallas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I'm an OS man at heart.

I am an OS man. Not because I have had many bad experiences with other brands but because I haven't had a bad one with OS. I just took out an old OS 35 2 days ago. This engine was mounted on a plane my father bought off a guy at his work 30 years ago. I don't know how long the guy at my dads work had the plane or the engine but it had definitely been run before my dad bought it. My dad ran this engine and then when I was old enough gave it to me and I ran it some. I had not used it for years and just recently pulled it out and mounted it on a plane. I kept it lubricated and freed up over the years with WD40 but I hadn't started using after run until 3 or 4 years ago. This engine fired right up on the first touch of the starter. It runs strong still and I only had to adjust the low end screw to achieve a reliable idle. By reliable I mean I can idle this ingine for over 2 minutes and it will not die. I have had nothing but good experiences with OS engines and until I do I probably won't bother with any other brands. I presently own several OS engines some 2 stroke and some 4 stroke. No problems at all. I also have 2 Saitos waiting for the plane to be finished. One is a 56 for a Tiger Moth and the other is a 120 for my Beaver with floats. Both engines were given to me and I am hoping I will not be disappointed. Judging from Saito's reputation I don't think I will.

Glad to hear that there are other manufactures that are giving the popular northamerican brands a for their money. Keeps everyone on their toes.
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:54 AM   #25
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Excellent comments Andrew!

Just my 2 cents worth of plug for TT engines. I have had several TT46 Pros and they are excellent engines. Easy to set up and relyable and easy to start. Prime it properly, and one flip back against compression and they start first flip every time. I have proven it at the field time and again.

I have also been impressed lately with the Revolution engines that come in the Hobbico Nexstar ARF complete trainer Package. I have test flown two brand new planes for their first flights and both engines started right up and ran perfectly right out of the box. Minor tweeking after a few runs and they are a sweet running and relyable engine!

As far as four strokes go, I am definitely a Saito man. Good price, excellent running engines, easy to start and very relyable! Maintenance is very easy and parts if needed are readily available.

Thanks for hearing my opinion!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Hi Gary,

the Nextstar comes with the OS .46FXi. I remember the revolution engine that came out that was pre-setup, broken in, etc about 1-2 years ago. Is it the same engine?

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Brian,
It was a great day, 4*60, Dave Moen and the guys really know how to host a fun fly. It will however be the last event I go to without a plane
A real pleasure to meet all of you guys!
Very impressed with thos gassers for sure, half the size of my 3.2 running almost the same prop. Working hard on the Twin hoping for Monday!
Come on up!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #28
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
So where can I order one of these fine MVVS engines?
I've tried many odd balls including MDS,RCV,and others I can't even remember. I like trying something new that the guys at the field haven't got.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor

Well, I tell ya, I just broke the second one in and it equals the first. Set carb as per instructions, opened the carb and primed it, flipped it once and it fired right up. I am extremely impressed!
Give Dave Moen a PM or an email and he can inform you for sales, he is on this forum, this thread actually
I just installed my new Crank. I'll have counter rotating engines on my Twin, Too kewl
Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #30
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave D
Radio of choice:
Futaba, Are there others?
# of RCs: 20

Hey Guys I am new to this board as of tonight.
Great place!

I have read it from time to time, but just registered finally.

Anyways, a friend of mine has an MVVS and it is flawless, he has ran in season in and season out. hour after hour and never never does maintenance or fiddling.
Hey yanks it out of his car fuels it and goes, year in year out.
I believe they are a czech engine and from what I have seen flawless.

I have almost the same set up as he does and I run an O.S, we spend alot more time tinkering if you will on the O.S.
Its not a bad engine but we spend much more time playing with it, as it tends to be finicky depending on the weather or whatever else comes up.

Keep your wings level and your landings intentional.
Rudder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.