To sell, or not to sell. That is the question?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
for the $$$ you would lose i would keep those cars and save up for rc airplanes.
planeswithwings is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Steve M
Radio of choice:
Sanwa MX-V

Re: To sell, or not to sell. That is the question??

Originally Posted by Shawnlh
Ok, here it goes. I built myself a spadet (s.p.a.d. lt-40 type plane) and picked up an older used radio, a new GMS .47 for power and other assorted hardware and stuck it all together. Went out to the local field, had an instructor take it up trim it out, we worked out a couple of minor bugs, hooked up the buddy cord and off I went. What a rush, flying is awsome, WOOHOO. Now for my question, I have about $4000.00 worth of offroad cars. (1) 1/8 buggy and (1) 1/10 truck, both are high end racing machines with RB (expensive) engines in them. And of course the fancy radio and ALL I mean ALL the gear that goes with offroad racing. What I neeed to decide now is, do I sell the car stuff because I haven't touched it since I flew and invest some of it into flying gear?? Or should I keep the cars and related equipment and save up for flying things?? I know I won't get back what I put into the cars but I REALLY enjoyed flying alot. I'm kinda stumped here, anyone have any words of wisdom??
Too bad you aren't any closer to Ottawa. I have loads of aircraft goodies that I haven't touched in years as I've been doing both on-road and off-road R/C cars.

I have a Modeltech Trainer 40H that I started and needs to be covered, a NIB Goldberg ARC kit that I believe is a Vector, a couple of NIB ARF 40 sized sport flyers and a few lightly used .40 size nitro motors.
SteveM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
I'd sell everything but the bare necessities for one car.
I gave up stock car racing but kept my engine just in case I bought an old Camaro or Firebird and I could stick it into it.
The engine was worth about 4000 to 6000 but I would have been lucky to 1000 for it as well as the nostalgia involved.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

Originally Posted by Noin
One more thing, the plane you flew flies ok. But if you were to fly a balsa trainer that has been around for a long time with a good reputation you would notice a big diference in the ease of learning.
I'm not going to flame, but rather clarify, because I believe this is an endless debate, and one that has no place in this thread.

What dictates an aircraft's performance in a major way is wing loading. (How else would a B-52 be able to sustain flight?). Most trainers are in the 18-21 oz per square foot range. There are a few exceptions that are as high as 24 oz per sq ft. (Dura Plane comes to mind)

The Spadet has a wing loading of 16.8 oz per sq ft., a wing loading that alot of established balsa trainers would only dream of getting.

There are very good balsa trainers out there, I've flown one and know they fly very good, but I honestly see no difference in performance between the balsa trainer I flew and the spad trainer I built. The Spadet trainer is as good as any balsa trainer out there. If any one has problems flying spads its due to improper setup, wing incidence, aileron reflex, etc., not the material its made out of, because that has nothing to do with it. (This is where a library and books such as Mechanics of Flight by AC Kermode come in handy)

Keep your fave car and get rid of the rest of the stuff, thats if you have intentions of flying more often then you will drive.
Pilot: Test Flight Ok, but Autoland is very rough.
AME: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.
Muldoer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -3
To sell, or not to sell. That is the question??

Thanks for the input guys, I was out flying again on wednesday night and I can guarantee I wll be flying more than driving, I absoloutley love being in the air. I think I may head your advice and sell one of the cars and keep my favorite for those windy days. I just wish I flew before I dropped over $4000.00 into surface vehicles, oh well, live and learn. Thanks again, see ya in the air
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

if you don't fly on a windy day, you won't

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -3
Ok, I'll keep the car for those hurricane like days, and fly the rest!!!

Does that work???
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.