First crash - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My first crash after pilot status was about a week. Did "one last" takeoff right into the sun and lost it. I planted it right in the middle of the field so I didn't have far to go.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

I'm with Dave on this one; I envy guys that only crash a couple of times. My excuse for some of my ground-shaking arrivals has to do with pure experimentation: new designs, new building techniques, new challenges, etc.

As an old freeflighter and controlliner, crashes are as much a part of the hobby as flying. This is where I have to give the nod to ARFs: had it not been for Jim Walker's Firebaby, I never would have learned to fly c/l. Even now, as a freeflighter, crashing is par for the course, and I put as much time (sometimes more) on a f/f model than a r/c model.

Besides, isn't that what winter is for? to rebuild crashes and build future crashes? :P
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice

1st crash bad one hit a stupid lamp pole, sicking sound plane hitting pole, snap the bird in two, tore wings off.

Well lesson learned olny fly in open spaces .

Replacement plane on sale in Feb.

Nexstarpilot MAAC73273
nexstarpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor

It is truly amazing how this inanimate stuff just jumps out and grabs your plane, eh?

Years ago, I was flying at a field that I knew very well. There was an old phone line across the end that I knew about. What are the chances of hitting a 3/16 line in the sky? We could have aimed at that thing all day and NEVER HIT IT, right? Peeled the wing right off my Honker (???), the wing flutteringdown undamaged, the fuse following a graceful trajectory into the parking area.

I really do wish I didn't have so many crash stories to tell...
Old 12-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor

My first flight was an off airport landing in a cornfield with no damage (no instructor either!!), so that doesn't really count.

My first doozy was into a giant Oak tree. The plane setlled into some branches high up and was pretty much unscathed........however, the three hour rescue process, and the forty foot drop to the ground did a lot of damage!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...I've put a lot of planes in to the ground over the years. Most have been rebuildable.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Hmm lets see... my first 4 years in the hobby ended up with at least a dozen crashes and all on the first flight! (and second, and third... ) untill I finally got the hang of it.

My advice? Persevere. Oh yeah, and get an instructor I was just a kid who didnt know better (there was no club localy) and tried to fly on 1/2A planes,many which were way out of beginner's league and with way too mcuh throw to boot (I know that now, not at the time).

Crashes happen, and will happen as long as you are in the hobby. Take them as a learning experience and dont let them get to you... too badly anyhow.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #17
RCC Contributor

I envie guys that crash and can actually put it back in the air again.

I crashed once last summer. (try fixing that!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extra_300_last_flight_nose_in-r.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	6101  
MAAC Member
Arnprior RC Club Secretary
Giants, Heli's, Biplanes, Gremlin's
I'll fly anything at least ONCE!!!
B-25 Mitchell (101")
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

If there's a piece of balsa too big to fit in your pocket ...... you can rebuild

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor

Ain't that the truth

Right on, Nuker; too many people (particularly beginners) figure that if it crashes, it don't work, so try something else (even a new hobby!). Rebuilding is as much a part of the hobby as flying; besides, it allows one to understand the model just that much better... unless one is in just too much of a hurry and has an unlimited bank account. "Instant gratification" is the phrase that comes to mind...
Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #20
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

i crashed my first plane a tower hobbies40 trainer shortly after i recieved my wings.i was on a small frozen lake and all pumped up to fly off of the ice .when i took off i did the unthinkable.

i forgot to pull my antenna up.i ran franticly after i pulled my antena up but it was to late my plane would not respond and it headed down the lake into 30ft trees thank god.

after picking up the pieces .the wing was damgaed bad and the fusalage had sustained little damage.i repaired it and was flying again within a few days.i learned my lesson that day and yes i always remember to pull my antena up before flight.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.