Funkey 600-size AS350 (C-FZTA) - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14
Re: Funkey 600-size AS350 (C-FZTA)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Very nice work.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #22
LPII
RCC Apprentice

I am: Pierre C
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Thanks, James. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back at it soon.
LPII is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
Ryan1098
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ryan D
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

We are surely gonna want to see some finished shots
Ryan1098 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #24
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

Hi, Ryan. So am I - this project is taking forever!

However, I should be posting about more scale details soon (mirrors, pitot tube, antennas, etc.). I am also trying to make an exhaust pipe/diffuser, because the one that came with the model is for another variant and is quite different.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #25
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

After a very busy year, it is time to get my poor helicopter project back on track! I havenít had time to do much on it since last spring.

I still have quite a few posts to put up for earlier work, but I am also making progress on the helicopter. Although I have said that for the past two years, this time I think I can finish the project in the next month or two!

With the windscreen and windows done, next was to make a few more fuselage modifications, and to fill all the holes left from changing the location of the landing gear (1st photo).

I cut out the antenna base under the tail boom, since C-FZTA has different antenna mounting locations (2nd photo). I also cut out the frame around the vents on the sides of the doghouse, because C-FZTA doesnít have those, and they would have to be filled in (3rd photo).

For all the larger holes, I used a piece of thin styrene sheet held in place by tape on the outside, then epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the inside (4th photo). The styrene released easily from the epoxy. This worked very well for simple curves, like the landing gear openings, (5th photo) but not so well for the compound curve areas like the dog house vents, where the styrene sheet couldnít follow the contour closely enough. This allowed the epoxy/fiberglass to stand out from the surface in places, and required a bit of tedious filing and sanding. There are better techniques described on other threads. I did one opening at a time, each time positioning the model with the patch horizontal so the epoxy would not flow out of position while setting.

For the small holes that I couldnít reach easily from the back, I managed to wedge and epoxy small pieces of material (like scraps of fuselage from the extra window cut-outs) on the inside of the holes, then filled the holes from the outside with putty.

The area behind the dog house is also different on C-FZTA from the Funkey model. This required drilling a 9/32 in. hole in the middle of each of the two molded-in dummy blanking plates, then sanding off the dummy plates, and drilling another hole between the first two (6th photo). I then made three scale tubes out of 6mm aluminum tubing and mounted them in a block of wood shaped to fit inside the dog house (7th photo).

I then finished all surfaces by filing, sanding, then filling the imperfection with fine putty and block sanding the filler. This was followed by more filler, or filler primer, more sanding and repeating until I got a smooth and true surface, finishing with a coat of regular primer (8th photo).

I had to dry-sand everything because I found that wet-sanding softened and removed the Deluxe Materials putty. However, this putty it is very fine and sands well. I also used automotive glazing putty in some spots.

For block sanding, I found a very useful mini-sanding block in the auto body repair section at Canadian Tire. It is small and uses hook-and-loop-backed sanding strips (9th photo). It comes with 400 and 1000 grit strips, but it is not hard to find larger Velcro-backed sheets or discs to make strips of other grit size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1166890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	1166898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	1166906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	1166914  

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	1166922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01150.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	1166930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01147.jpg
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	1166938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01151.jpg
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1166946  

Name:	DSC01154.jpg
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	1166954  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

With the bodywork mostly finished, the next phase was to make a bunch of scale parts and details. (It seemed like the more I looked at the pictures, the more details I found, and the more I got pulled in to making them!)

Mirrors: After working out the dimensions and angles from my pictures (e.g., 1st picture) and measurements, I made the mirror frame with some 3/32 in. aluminum rod (long part) and tube (short part). To join the two pieces of the frame together, I drilled a small hole in the rod, then tapped a 1.2 mm screw in the hole. The head of the screw just fit the inside diameter of the tube so I slipped the tube over the head of the screw with a dab of JB Weld to join the two pieces together. I modeled the attachment points by making two scale plates at the ends of the frame, and flattened the end of the tube and drilled it to attach to a block glued to the inside of the fuselage.

I bought a set of Vario 24mm mirrors, and modified the attachment point of the rectangular one to fit my frame (using two screws and a piece of black zip tie). I also squared off the round mirror that came with the set to make the second one. They are not quite scale, but they will do for now. If I find better ones, they can easily be replaced. One option is to draw them on a CAD program, and have them printed on a 3D printer. Maybe later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020313.JPG
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1168282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01156.jpg
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	1168290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01158.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	1168298  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #27
planecrazyisme57
RCC Apprentice

I am: Frank
Radio of choice:
CBC
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0

wonderful thread 2
planecrazyisme57 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #28
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

More scale parts: (1st photo)

C-FZTA has a strake on the starboard side of the tail boom (2nd photo). This was made with a length of 3/16 in. styrene angle, with the ends shaped, the horizontal side tapered and dummy rivets(glue dots) added.

The front doors have an emergency release mechanism, with a bellcrank that pulls the pins out of the door hinges (3rd photo). This was fairly easily modeled using small nylon clevises cut and filed to shape. A couple of 2mm washers painted black completed the parts.

C-FZTA does not have windshield wipers, but it has blanking plates where the wipers go (4th photo). Since the model comes with wipers, and the holes are already drilled, I made blanking plates with small pieces of styrene rather than just fill the holes.

The scale pitot tube was made with styrene rectangular stock shaped to the scale dimensions, then fused to a piece of styrene sheet. The tube itself was made with a piece of 2-56 rod with the end shaped to a point on a belt sander. The tube was glued into a hole drilled into the styrene body. A screw from the back and some glue will attach it to the helicopter. Four glue dot dummy fasteners on the plate completed the assembly. The 4th photo shows the full scale for comparison.

There is a lifting lug on each side of the helicopter (5th photo). These were made with a piece of 1/8 in. aluminum rod, filed and drilled to match the shape of the lug. They will be painted with the helicopter.

There are three drains on the side and bottom of the helicopter (6th photo). Black silicone insulation from 14 gauge electrical wire, a couple of T-Rex 450 canopy grommets split in half and some screws to attach them from the back took care of those.

There are two short L-shaped brackets on the top of the helicopter, which were modeled with pieces of 1/8 inch styrene angle.

The scale latches for the side cargo compartments that came with the model were misplaced, so I made new ones with some styrene channel fused with a piece of square rod, filed to the shape of the latch, and painted silver. The full scale latches are shown on the 6th photo.

Lots of time spent on these small parts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01172.jpg
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	1171026   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020288 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1171034   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020166 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	1171042   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020308 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1171050  

Name:	P1020336 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1171058   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020296 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1171066  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #29
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

Antennas: The next batch of small scale parts are the antennas (1st photo). First, I bought a Vario antenna kit, which took care of some of them better than I could have done (particularly the long tapered ones), but I also had to make several.

There are two antennas on the roof (2nd photo). One is through the starboard roof window, and the other is in the middle of the roof, behind the windows. After the usual measurements, etc., I made one with a piece of styrene rod, with a few washers on the base, a screw to hold it, and a little piece of aluminum tape and bands of black panel line tape (to be applied later) for scale looks.

The other has a black tapered base, topped by a short straight section and a long wire bent at an angle. I found that a piece cut from a spare ball link for my Blade 600X helicopter had just about the right shape for the base. For the straight section, 20 gauge silicone wire sheathing was perfect, and for the wire, I stripped the insulation off some small single strand wire that I had on hand. The silicone wire sheathing fit in the hole in the ball link, and the small wire with its own insulation left on fit inside the silicone sleeve. I also cut and stuck a small piece of aluminum tape on the base to duplicate the plate on the base of the full scale antenna. It will be held in place by a screw from the bottom.

I used the three long angled antennas from the Vario kit for the similar antennas under the tail boom (3rd photo). I added a small plate shaped from pieces of styrene stock under each antenna to improve the scale look. These plates will be glued to the fuselage later and painted at the same time as the helicopter. I used a straight long antenna for the antenna located ahead of the tail boom.

There are also four antennas on the belly near the front of the landing gear (4th photo, but they are hard to see). One is a blade antenna, and I reshaped the one from the Vario set to model it. I also used a short straight antenna with a wide base from the Vario kit, as it matched a second one. Another was a black-coloured narrow and longer antenna, which I modeled with a piece of styrene rod and a piece of styrene tube joined together and painted black. Finally, the fourth one is a white oval shaped antenna (I think it is a part of a severe weather detection system). I made that one by cutting a piece of ľ inch balsa to the appropriate oval shape, then filing and sanding it to round over the sides. I applied several coats of filler primer, sanding between coats to hide the grain of the wood. I finished with a few thin coats of white.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01177.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	620.0 KB
ID:	1173569   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020266 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1173577   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020227 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1173585   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020344 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1173593  

Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #30
LPII
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX8

Up to this point, this thread has been catching up on work that I had done earlier and put aside, but hadnít had time to post. Now, I am almost caught up. I have been able to work on the model pretty steadily since the middle of January.

The first big job was the exhaust duct. The exhaust duct that comes with the model is a different type than the one on C-FZTA, therefore, I had to make a new one.

The exhaust duct on C-FZTA is in two sections that appear to be bolted together. The rear section is angled down from the forward section, but also angled to the left. Other parts are visible, such as sensors at the exit, a housing underneath, a heat shield between the housing and the exhaust duct, and a shroud just inside the fuselage (1st photo).

I donít have the skills or the equipment to form metal into compound curves or to make detailed molds for plastic or fiberglass, so I tried to make a simplified but reasonably scale-looking assembly. Starting with the usual measurements from pictures, and trial and error with card stock mockups, I determined the dimensions and proportions of the two sections of the exhaust duct.

I made the forward part by cutting a 150mm x 70mm piece of.010 brass sheet based on my previous measurements, then carefully bending it and working it around a few different size wood dowels until I achieved the right shape. I overlapped about 6mm on the underside, then attached the piece to itself with small screws (2nd photo). I then marked and cut the end so that it would be vertical when the exhaust pipe is positioned at the scale angle on the fuselage (about 18 degrees).

I then cut V-shaped slots around the aft end, about 5mm, deep to create tabs (3rd photo). I bent the tabs down so that they would be horizontal with the exhaust in place, and ground down any areas that were raised above the surface as a result of bending the tabs. I cut a strip about 30mm wide to make the aft section and starting at the bottom, I attached it the forward part, wrapping it around the top of the tabs and shaping it to fit as closely as possible to the forward section. Using the same positions as the bolts on the full scale exhaust duct, I drilled holes and attached small screws to attach the aft end. I then cut and trimmed the aft end to match the angle and proportion of the full scale exhaust as much as possible (4th photo).

I made the heat shield by sticking aluminum tape on both side of a sheet of paper, then cutting it to shape.

I made the shroud at the front with a piece of .010 brass sheet.

I made the housing using part of a plastic furniture foot (found in my junk drawer) and part of the end of a permanent marker, because it had a shape similar to the face of the housing. The temperature sensors I made with aluminum rod and steel wire, and the brackets with scraps of .010 in. brass (5th and 6th photos).

I glued some blocks inside the fuselage and attached tabs to the front of the exhaust duct to attach it to the fuselage. There is also a screw passing through the top of the driveshaft tunnel and the exhaust pipe to secure the assembly in place.

I experimented with scraps of brass and a propane torch to see if I could discolor the brass to make it look more like a turbine exhaust duct. With pieces of brand new brass sheets, it was quite easy to achieve a nice brown colour with a bit of heat. However, I could not duplicate that with material that has been handled and cleaned. There seemed to be oil or something on the surface of new pieces that flashed off and discolored the surface without having to heat the brass too much. With brass that had been already cleaned and polished, the only way to turn it brown was to heat it red, which annealed it and made it too soft to hold its shape with normal handling.
So, after cleaning the final assembly with mild metal polish to remove small scratches, fingerprints, smudges, etc, I heated it gently to darken it as much as possible and left it at that. The result is not bad. It is not as brown as a turbine exhaust duct, but it is not as bright as a new sheet of brass either.

I wicked CA in the joint between the two exhaust parts and CAíd all the screws in place, then ground off as much of the screws as possible from the inside of the duct. I finished by painting the shroud and housing silver-gray, and painting the inside of the exhaust pipe flat black.

The last photo shows the scale part against the full scale exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020325 (2015_03_05 13_24_03 UTC).jpg
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1179785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01074.jpg
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1179793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01076.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1179801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01081.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1179809  

Name:	DSC01137.jpg
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	1179817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01140.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	1179825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01187c.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	1179833  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.