No time for R/C? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
i can vouch for the teenager thing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm 18 with a part time job, school, and living on the farm, and many other hobbies, time is not somthing I have a lot off, but I love flyin and buildin, so i make use of whatever time I can get, been doin this for 5 years now, and I'll fly till I die.
Ian is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #12
RCC Apprentice

I'm 16,

I wanted to get into this hobby a couple of summers ago but wasn't old enough to work. Then I took a school program that runs with the army reserves and made quite a bit of money in my second semester this year which finally gave me the oppurtunity to pursue this awesome hobby!

I think i'm hooked for life!
Woozle Wazzle
MikeCo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8

I find that it takes me three times longer for any kit than the estimated build time.

Sometimes it takes me that long just to paint. (just ask Palmer and Dennis)

I'm fortunate enough to know one of the best builders in the business. He frames up some of my planes which greatly reduces my completion time.

Peter D.
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Well my wife told me it was either her or the planes.

I am happy to say, now that my priorities are in line, I have ample time to build AND its pretty good being single with lots of planes!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

Well, I was bitten by the bug early as well. I think it was '68 or '69 (and I was 9-10) when they had the airshow at Nelson Park here in Burlington. I remember grabbing all of the pamphlets and brochures I could, and of course I bought a Delta Dart (rubber wind up job). The prices were absolutely outrageous then for RC equipment. Then it was on to a Cox PT-19 (control line) when I was 12-13 or so. I never realized at the time just what a dog that thing actually was - although I remember a few times trying to do a loop, and then running like hell after the plane hit the top and the lines went loose causing the plane to spiral in towards the center (ME!!! ).

Frankly, any woman who would bitch about this hobby is nuts. Too many guys spend their time in a bar or chasing other women. If I happen to find planes "sexy", well, I believe the women shouldn't complain. They KNOW were their hubby is, and he's actually doing something constructive! I've met a lot of guys - some good and some bad - but not one of them I would consider a "super-hero". We all have our good points and our bad. If we spend our money wisely in this sport (and yes, this means scratch building) then I really think the women should be glad our pursuits are non-threatening to the marriage and are a healthy outlet.

So, what do we need to bring the young 'uns in? We need ambassadors. We need to get hold of the teachers teaching youngsters, and bring in some Delta Dart (or similar - keep it easy for the first one) kits for them to build. We need the ambassador to bring in one of those super small/light indoor RC planes and fly it around the classroom for inspiration. Sure we'll lose most of these kids *although* some of them will come back to it later in life! You take whatever you can get these days, and plant seeds in the youngsters minds.

There ain't a darned thing we can do with the 18-25 demographic. These young bucks are out chasing after *more important* things, like chicks and cars and jobs Finanacial stability comes first - rent and food must be paid for before balsa/foam/monokote etc. We can only jope that they will come back to the hobby later in life.

We need to encourage ALL of the newcomers to this sport. If there is something screwed up with a first built plane, we have to find a tactful way to tell them that it won't fly properly the way it is. I've seen a few of the so called experts completely denigrate a guys first crack at building an RC plane. Guess what? Unless the newcomer is stubborn, he won't be back! If you see one of the local nay-sayers talking to a newbie, by all means drift over and get yourself into the conversation. You can talk to the newbie after the *expert* has wandered away and then confirm their opinion that yes, that guy is an #$%hole. Help the newbies out however you can. Remember that this is their PRIDE and joy on the line here (emphasis on pride!). If you ---- them off they won't come back.

Anyhow, I think I've said enough - next theing you know I'll be typing a book

Mine is not to reason why; I just wire them up to fry...I mean Fly!
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!!!
I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the chandelier......

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #16
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

I can add to the list. Ive been flying r/c since I was 14, now 17 and also a week or so away from having my Private pilots license in full scale! I still find time(and money) to fly r/c between full scale flying, working(at the airport of course) and school(start the aviation college course this fall).
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I started in 83/84 and have never stopped - even through my 6 years of post secondary ed I built planes while in school and flew in the summer.

I guess its something in the blood!

I also agree, you got to get the youngsters interested before they discover girls and trying to be "cool", etc... then they maight stick with it or come back afterwards like Igor said.

Back to the time thing....

I for one, generally have to kick myself in the @ss to go down to the shop and work on some planes/engine etc after a long day at work, but, once I start its awesome.

Winter months are easier to spend long hours in the shop working on models rather than the summers (short) when flying is the priority!

But there will still never be enough time....
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #18
Lake Flyer
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 1
I was in my late teens when I got into this hobby. I could hardly wait until I got older so I would have even more time to model. Well I used to get about 4 projects a year done. Now I get about one done every 4 years .
Way to much work and to tired to play.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #19
RCC Contributor

It is all a matter of priorities. I've loved R/C (and airplanes) almost all my life.

I held on to the Sears catalogue with the .049 COX Centurion and two-stick, two channel radio for about two years (in junior high) until I finally saved up enough for my first R/C, which happened in grade 10 back in the '70's. It was a Red EK Logictrol and Sure-flight Aeronca. Anybody remeber the EK Brick?

While this was going on I graduated from the Cox PT-19 to the Testor's Cosmic wind (remember that one, I think it was purple) to a couple of Cox P-40's and a Cox Stuka. Very cool, we had a flying club in our high school and we were allowed to control line in the gym if we cleaned up the fuel. We all got pretty good at flying and pooled our resources to buy a Ranger 42 by Carl Goldberg and the two-channel Cox transmitter that was in the Centurion. We all cut our teeth on that poor Ranger, but it was foam and could take a lot of punishment.

Been at it on and off since then, school, career and family have definately intervened. Now I'm blessed with a wonderful family and great job that demand my love and responsibility. Thus- a great deal of my time. But, I'm trying to involve my 5 and 9-year olds with control liners, rockets, and we just bought a Cub and Quattro for them so we can buddy-box off my other JR radios. They really like it so far and my son has mastered the PT-19 and has moved on to a Sig Akromaster. He likes it, but his attention span is a bit low. Could be the greater than 100 degree F temperatures here in the Mojave.

We're still trying to find time to put the Cub together. My life and commitments usually only allow sneaking an hour or two on Friday and Saturday evenings, and maybe a couple of hours on Saturday morning for flying. Sometimes I'm too tired too plug in the charger for the next day's flying.

Regardless, I find it ironic that after deciding that I really didn't have time for this hobby I go out and buy a huge box of balsa and a CAD program.

I know one day I'lll have time for that Byron A-4, Byron T-34, and Sig Mustang 450 I've got waiting under my workbench.

Must be a great hobby. :P

waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.