Plane inspections~ - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Do you have a personal transponder?
Yes I have one! 20 55.56%
No I need to rent one! 16 44.44%
No but I can borrow one from someone 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #41
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Ken

One of the things we have mandatory is a 50- 100 foot range check each day before wings begins. We have caught one or two low batteries, just due to the jitter caused as the radio goes out of range. The preflight also includes checking the surfaces. Again, it's not perfect but we haven't really had an incident of late. Many students have one of those volt meters on the plane and by now, many as well have a gadget or two that checks voltage. Because our students get quite a number of flights each session, we are field charging more and more as well.

No question that every extra check in place is a good idea. I certainly don't think you are ---- and I'm sure with the way you fly your machines go through quite a workout so even more checking is prudent.

Lots of ideas to share

the day any of us stop learning is the day things get too boring. I personally believe we can learn from either the newest flier right to the oldest geezer (no offense to you old geezers out there ). All it takes is the willingness to listen. That's one of the reasons I enjoy this site.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #42
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

The a$$ of your jokes

Since I have become the a$$ of your jokes, please explain to me just how I should describe the first flight of an aircraft. If I have used the wrong spelling of a word that sounds just like MAIDEN then please enlighten me oh great ones I would love to be made aware by someone so superior.

The above was an example of how I felt after reading your reply. I normally would not ever reply to a post with the sarcasm I have used above, but my intent was to make you feel the same way you made me feel.

If you find something confusing on this site because of terms you don't know or are unaware of then please ask without the sarcasm. If you come across someone who has spelling or grammatical errors in their posts, if you can make sense of it then please do so without going on and posting sarcastic comments that could be humiliating to the other user. If on the other hand you can not make sense of the post due to spelling or grammatical errors then please just quote the concerned sentences and ask for clarification without being sarcastic. Simple enough to do.

I am sure you have the ability to show your maturity and not be as rude as you have demonstraited.

A somewhat offended RCC user!
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 PM   #43
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I think the term "Maiden" as you used it is correct, the first sailing of a ship has long been called the "Maiden Voyage".

I think ed was just playing on words a bit, I don't think he meant to be offensive. (at leaset I hope not)

I have removed my previous post, as it contained a quote from the posting that you found offensive.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #44
Ed Smith

Noin, or is it Ted?

Maybe, just maybe I am a little sensitive to your admission of "Dorking" a maiden. That is what you said, right?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #45
RCC Pro Contributor

Please remember Ed, on this forum I can not see nor hear you. All form of expression is lost. There is no tone of voice indicating humor and no facial expression to indicate it aswell. Since humor is somewhat subjective then perhaps you should add some other words to your post indicating it as an attempt at humor. People do it all the time to avoid any confusion or miscommunication. It would have certainly allowed me to dismiss your post entirely.

Unfortunately that was not the case and now that you are aware of the received offense you do not do anything but try to show the attempt at humor again. I have since realized from Ronm's post that perhaps that was your intention. Having it pointed out to me a second time is like a slap in the face.

Perhaps I am a little sensitive today (not been the best of days for me) perhaps I would have felt the same way regardless of how my day went. I don't know, but this forum is about people coming together to share knowledge and I know you have that because I have actually sat and had lunch with you under your own canopy at some Quickie 500 races. I found you to be very informative and welcoming. This attemp at humor has escaped me, but knowing that it still doesn't change the way it made me feel.

Enough of the sappy crappy stuff and get back to what this post is about.
Ted LeBlanc
Old 08-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #46
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Someone mentioned the fact that if the host club inspected a aircraft would that make them liable for a mishap. I don't know but that did come up at one of our meetings. Belive it or not the resolution solved both the inspection problem and who was qualified to do the inspection. We made the sheets so that the pilot was the inspector and did it in front of one of the club appointed inspection guides. The guide reserves the veto if anything is truly unsafe. Below is the wording of the form. Its a little out of line so I can email the file it is in Word.

Aircraft Safety Check Sheet
AIRWORTHINESS INSPECTION: This inspection is being performed by YOU. The ultimate safety and airworthiness of this aircraft rests solely with the owner and/or pilot. The aircraft must be inspected by the pilot in the presence of a member of the event Safety Committee to be certified for flight at this event. Both the Pilot/Inspector and the member of the Safety Committee must sign and date at the bottom before the first flight.

Pilot Name: _______________________________________________ Number: ______
City: __________________________________ Prov/State: _______________________
Phone: ______________ Email: _____________________________________________
MAAC/AMA: ___________ Club: ___________________________________________

1. General (wings and fuselage straight, covering complete,
no visible damage to aircraft) ________
2. All control surfaces secure (check by gentle tug) ________
3. Control linkage appropriate for size of aircraft ________
4. Some sort of retaining system on all clevises ________
5. Engine secure, prop in good shape (no nicks or cracks) ________
6. Number or flights (at least 6 prior to event) ________

Pilot/Inspector _____________________________________ Date ________________

Safety Committee ___________________________________Date ________________

Aircraft Information

Name of Aircraft __________________________________________________ ______

Scale ___________________ Engine Type and Size ____________________________

Radio Type _____________________________________ Channel _______________

Special Features
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #47
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
I like that
Can I use it? Will you email it to me? What a perfect solution to so many emotions!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #48
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0 for thought.

Well I think I have a great example of what you guys are saying when you talk about someone catching a simple error. I took out a new plane for a first flight tonight. It was a GWS Eflight. When I tested the motor in the basement before leaving I noticed that the amount of power or the pull was a little below what I thought it should be for an airplane of this size with a speed 400 geared motor in it. Well I tried it anyways and had no success. Frustrated I returned home. I was just posting a thread inquiring on what i might have missed or what the problem could be and in so doing I was listing the planes equipment...including the prop size. So down the stairs I go to check the prop size but it is not listed on the prop face. Thats because the face was not FACING the front. lol now that is what I call funny. I'm not in favor of manditory inspections without a predetermined acceptability level or style. But in this particular case perhaps an inspection from another pilot would have allowed me to have an excellent night of flying instead of a dismal one.

Case in point for all in favor of inspections, from a borderline favor of inspection
Ted LeBlanc
Old 08-15-2004, 05:43 AM   #49
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I was hoping that you folks would have read and commented on my post. I thought my attempt to explain why we use such terms would have been found humourous and helped clear up any hard feelings. NOIN, I know Ed and he was, in my opinion, being humorous and didn't mean to offend.

Again, understanding the language and the English dry sense of humor would have told you it was all in least the way I see it!

Disclaimer: This post was meant to be sincere and any sarcasism found was surly not intended. ( please excuse any spelling mistakes) Thanks.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #50
Ed Smith

The actual humour may have been feeble. The attempt though was without malice and an honest effort. Do I get points for that?

Ed S.

P.S I cannot stand those idiotic "Smileys" peering at me from the screen.I will never use them. It is up to the reader to interpret what I write without the aid of cartoons.
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.