Aviation Design Turbo Beaver on floats - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #51
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20
Re: Aviation Design Turbo Beaver on floats

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Got the water rudders installed last night looks good. Had to do a few modes but worked out good. Next will be to plan water rudder lift setup.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #52
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Just about finished with the float water rudder rigging but this afternoon decided to do a Wren 44 turbine start with this being my first propane start effort. All went fine until time for the fuel pump to start the flow....nothing. Tried again and looks like I will have to pull the pump and run it with fuel to flush out the gears. Trying to run but no fuel coming through , hopefully due to sitting for several years from my understanding. Did some googling to find if there was any setting in the GSU to pump prime but doesn't look like it for a pre version 4.
Wil try again tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #53
Pauld
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 23

I seem to recall something like if you leave the throttle stick at full for more than 10sec (guess) the fuel pump should run. Not sure how you would verify this if you suspect your pump is not working. Maybe look at battery voltage which should drop if it's trying to turn a stalled pump.

If you find you have a blown pump, let me know I might have something.

Cheers,

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #54
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 34

Len, PM sent
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #55
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Thanks , Guys... for the input This has been sitting , unrun, for several years so I suspect that it could be a dried out pump . Have found a good archive on Wren turbines
that most had the same issues when left. Ran out of time yesterday so will take a further look this morning and report back. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #56
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Ok got the pump out and applied 1.5 volts on it and all I could hear/feel that the pump motor windings were being energised. took one fitting off to see If I could budge the gears and solid, even in reverse.... Had to resort to taking the pump end plate off and loaded with "grunge" if you want to call it that . worked the gears loose so that they moved but not as smooth as I would have liked. Applied 1.5 volts from a D cell and she spun... so at least the motor is free and working. Will be reinstalling the end plate with new locktite ( medium) and then run fresh fuel through until the D cell is dead or for 15 or 20 minutes. Looks like problem may be solved. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Last edited by stegl; 07-23-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #57
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Ok , thanks to all suggestions and we are in business. After clearing the pump and running for 20-30 minutes on a D cell all looked good. . Did the install , rewired fuel lines and fired right up first try. in seconds .all I can say is on a 22X12 two blade wood prop.....crazy , crazy power. Didn't get a chance to check rpm numbers but next time.

about 15 minutes later I did another start but forgot to turn gas on right away ( 5 seconds) and got a little flaming out the exhaust.... any thoughts.

Lastly the cooling shuts down at 118C .....any thoughts or opinions ? Is that adjustable ?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #58
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Here is my adaptation for gas start. As per on the bottle; yes there is
now gas for jet turbine gas starts. Even on the bottle "jet Power"....can't get better than that. Ignites fast and heats up quickly and available at all MEC stores.

Will start again to try and finish the float install this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbine gas start.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1004721  
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #59
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Steering cabling done. Next is the rudder retract cabling . Lucky I have one channel left
In my receiver for this..... Will use my usual retract switch.....gear up gear down except in this case it will be water rudder up and down.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #60
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Found some more fine stainless cable at a local fishing hardware store that was much less money than ordering on line. Hoping to have had it all done this weekend but wife says we go camping so have to keep the chief happy....lol.
At least I have paper and pencil with me to do some drawings for mounting the servo that will be used to pull both rudders up for takeoff. Will get pictures posted next week when that is done, hopefully.

Then the big job of C of G check first with wheels on and then with floats on so I can add the weight into the float tips, seal up and repainted the tips semi flat black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.