Avro Arrow contruction progress - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #41

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
woohooo... I'm on track for my deadline... (runs to find some wood to knock on)...

Tonight, I just about finished the right wing. Green LED mounted in the wingtip wired up and working correctly. you can see it somewhat in the images that I'm posting below. Doesn't seem as bright as the red, but it doesn't really matter.. it's more for looks than anything else.

Just did a quick measurement.. From tail to needle-tip, 61" long, 47" wingspan.

Here's the pics:

Lights off:

Lights on:

Side angle, trying to capture pic of strobe quick enough. Succeeded. You can see the strobe lit up in this pi:

Same side:

Working late tomorrow, so in the morning, I'll do a little more sanding around the seam of the wing to finish that off.. Wednesday night, we'll be installing the servo tray and rigging in the navlight board so it's permanently installed. Also on the to-do list is mount the landing lights.. This one's a personal pet peeve of mine, because in the real plane it was mounted on the main gear. Since I'm using standard wire gear for this, I can't mount the lights to it. I'm likely going to come through the side of the fuse, right in front of the nose gear just for arguments sake, but I'm not sure yet.

The last thing to install is the V-fin with the strobe mounted on it.. We'll try to get this done on Wednesday night as well, but I think either way this plane will be ready for final sanding and paint over the weekend. If we can at least have the final primer and maybe the white sprayed on by the end of the weekend I'll be happy..
bweight is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #42
RCC Apprentice
I am: Daryl E

hey guys just an fyi for you arrow enthusists
check this site from action hobby in calgary
Pipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #43
RCC Apprentice
I am: Doug J

Very Very Cool!
Someone should tell them it's ok to put a couple of turbines in it, even if it is from the 1950's
Just goes to show there will always be somebody, somewhere doing it bigger, badder and faster
dhj42 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #44

I just can't seem to hit deadlines.. But with our Club's Mall show coming up next weekend, I HAVE to hit this one.. So, there's a big update on the progress coming in this post. The external build is for all intensive purposes, complete. The paint started going on today, and it will have to be finished over the next few nights as there's a lot of fiddling around with stencils for the "decals".. I wanted to paint every marking on that I will be including on the plane, so it's a tedius, but in the end, a more rewarding process.

I decided to use rattle can Krylon Fusion paints with a Krylon Water-based clear coat to prevent yellowing. So we started off with their primer this morning (white) to make it easier to coat the plane all white.

Here's some primer shots:

You can see the white on there when the plane is flipped..

2 Coats later, the white is applied....

Started painting the stencils.. There's overspray, but that's ok.. Thismodel's not going to be perfect, and I think it actually came out pretty damn decent.

Left Wing (Underside)

Bottom of Tailcone painted:

Top of tailcone painted. V-fin still masked..... Top of wings also now have stenciled flag and circle sprayed on.

Nose cone and area near canopy sprayed. Slight problem when lifting the tape off. We actually pulled some of the paint up, so I'll have to touch it up with a brush later.

Last picture.... Top of V-fin painted now.. You can just make out the strobe LED at the very tip where the white meets the black on the v-fin.. The lights are functioning correctly still and after a lil thinner and a wipe down will be much more visible..

Anyways, it's a big update as I said.. I still have to paint on the RL201 markings on the intake sides and I also have to paint on the red/blue color blocks (sorry no clue what they actually mean) on the v-fin as well as the 25201 designation. I have the stencils cut out, just ran out of time today.. Also have to paint the canopy area and the turtle deck as well as the pinstriping on the tops of the wings then a couple coats of clear on it and it'll be ready for the mall show.

Inside the plane, all the electronics are installed, minus the servo for the in-flight mixture control. Have to finish the work on the fuel tank mounts then get the engine in there and run the lines and pushrods.. I'm getting psyched to fly this thing and it seems the weather just keeps getting nicer and nicer

Hopefully we'll see some of the local visitors to this site at our Mall show which starts next Saturday at 9:00 AM and runs through Sunday as well at the Hanmer Mall...

Hope to have more pics up soon.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #45
RCC Supreme Contributor

Wow, you've made a lot of progress on it.
I have to say, it looks much better in white!!!! Keep up the progress reports.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #46

You know, recently I have been getting disappointed with the appearance of it.. I knew going in, that it wasn't truly scale, or even close, but the last week or so, I just couldn't match up in my head (and compared to the pics I had) that it looked like the real thing anymore at all.. When I got the white on there, I noticed a transformation and then with the plane sitting in the living room last night I caught a glimpse at a certain angle and knew I had it back, heading in the right direction..

This plane has lots of blemishes, but for a 3rd build, 1st with glass, I'm proud of my work. I haven't seen the inside of the instructions in about 6 months. There's so much work to be done on it that differentiate from what the plans state, that I've sort of gone on a scratch mode with it.

I hope I have some more pics up tonight depending on what we get done..
Old 04-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #47
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

After you look at the plans and want to do changes it usually does not hurt. As long as the flying part does not deteriate to much go for it. It is looking good and if you put a little more detail loke the canopy trim it will really change.
Havn't talked to Doug "Action Hobby" for a while but they where talking turbines for the 1/5th. With the ducted fan it was very underpowered and if I remember right his comments "he was looking for a place to crash". Glad he was in Alta. as he had lots of room for a straight out after lifting off.
Keep up the good work
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #48

Got more painting tonight.. Frustrated as hell though with the way some of it turned out.. It seems that the Krylon black rattle cans don't like to be sprayed on the existing paint.. When we did the first RL 201 Stencil we found that out in a hurry.. It seemed to eat through the layers of primer and white that we put on yesterday and the finish needs some touchup later this week.. We've also opted to leave OFF the clear coat until after all preliminary paint is complete and has cured which is 7 days according to the cans.. This will make sure we don't screw up the rest of the paintjob the same way I thought we did with the stenciled area.

For anyone using this stuff in the future for small area and stenciled work.. Make sure you remove the masking IMMEDIATELY after you have finished spraying the area you need too.. Get all templates and anything in the area off the surface before the paint starts to set and "rubberize" making a crappy finish like you'll see in some spots on this project..

Anyways, here's the pics.

Starting with the right side of the fuse, first RL201 marking done.. Worst one yet.. :S

Another shot of the RHS... You can see the blue ring is a little messed.. again, we left the stencil down too long and it made an ugly spot...

Closer shot of the RHS showing the mess that needs touchup with a brush. There's a lot of crap that needs to be worked on to get this looking satisfactory. Notice the worst spot in the "R".. It went almost through the grey primer beneath the white paint from yesterday. I think the black has way too much thinner in it and it's just eating whatever's on the surface.

Right hand side of the V-fin.. Markings applied. What you can't see is the BIG mess that was made trying to spray the small stenciled "25201" markings just above the blue and red. It went totally south and the V-fin needed to be re-coated in white. As much as I don't want to do it, I'm going to have to brush on the remaining "25201" in that area just to be safe.

LHS of the V-fin. Again, "25201" not yet applied and will be brushed on.

Where we stopped tonight to let some of the paint cure that much longer. We were going to paint the blue ring around the flag but decided not too, due to the weather getting colder and the time getting later. This stencil of "RL201" went on much better as we got the masking off right after I stopped spraying. It still needs a little touch-up, but nowhere near the amount the other side does.

*sigh* overall not a good night for the project.. As you'll see in this next picture, the wingspar when I put it in there with epoxy didn't get filled enough in the cavity in the wing.. When we had the heat-lamps on the paint to speed up the drying, well, I guess it started to shring the paint/primer/glass and pulled the material partially outwards. Leaving an ugly line on the plane that I don't know if I can fix without setting me back even more.. Disgusting.

And finally, tonight, not *all* is bad.. we did the Right intake openings in black and it turned out O.K. I guess.. it's looking more and more like the arrow and while we're waiting for another week to actually complete the paint cycle, we won't miss the show this weekend..

Tomorrow we'll try to finish as much as we can and then let it cure for a week... I'll have more pics up then I hope.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #49
RCC Apprentice

good job brian

cant wait to see it fly this summer , also a proud member of gsm (GREATER SUDBURY MODELERS) just a rookie though dont even have my wings yet . but im sure lou will help me with that ,anyway take care
see you at the field.

spadmax is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #50
RCC Junior Contributor

is that mall show this weekend??
and in hanmer? let me know cause i want to go . i know a few ppl from GSM. but there are a few people i would like to meet.

hope to see a few spadders too!

i cant wait to start flying again... is the gsm field ready?

wonder if the cambrian field is ready.... (i belong to the cambrian club now.) can i fly my twin spad soon?
im from Sudbury Ontario!
chuckster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.