Just thanking my luck.... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Just thanking my luck....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
... Flew my 1.20 size sukhoi today. was windy. Half way around first circuit, I noticed a wheel pant was twisted so that the back end was pointing down!

Immediately came in to land... hoping the landing would push back the pant so that the wheel was again on the ground. It was a good gentle landing, and I was lucky, the pant rotated back to where it belonged. When the plane lost most of it's speed, I turned it to taxi back to the pits area.... and the complete wheel, pants, axle, and everything just fell off the main gear support..... The nut on the inside had come off. I killed the engine, went up to the plane and found everything except the nut right there, including a washer that sits between the nut and the main gear.

How's thast for lucky. I guess if I had rolled or banked in the direction other than the circuit I had already done, I would have lost the wheel in the air. Would have made for a very messy landing.

Anyways, I guess I have just discovered one more thing to pre-flight.

"wheels attached to plane - check!"

if only...
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Lock-tite Gus, Lock-tite!!!!
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

I lost a wheel in my Cub last Friday...one of those expensive Dubro 1/4 wheels too! My Dad saw it fall off, but could not pinpoint a location. The one wheel landing took a bit of concentration, and as soon as it was down and rolling, I killed the engine. When the axle stub hit, it nosed up ever so gently, then back down on all two wheels. No damage except the lost wheel.

The wheel collar was cinched down and lock-tited. I wish someone would invent something that is a massive improvement over existing wheel collar technology.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:55 AM   #4
Kelly W
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 5
I had the same thing happen about 10 years ago on a little Q40 racing plane. One wheel came off in flight and ripped the fuse up on landing pretty good. After that I made it into a hand launch plane and it worked out really well!

One common misconception about Loctite is that it'll just work if you put it on the fastener. In reality, both the fastener and the threaded hole/nut must be clean of any lubricants... Use rubbing alcohol to clean them. Otherwise the loctite can become virtually useless as is will not cure up properly.

That and people often assume a one size fits all approach with the stuff. as a rule of thumb, 242 is a decent removable strength compound, and its commonly available. I think there is a better one that's more aimed at smaller fasteners, but 242 will do for the collar set screw. I know of a permanent compound that will work well for the collar on the shaft fit, but I forget the number now. That would be then next best thing to welding them together...

Kelly Williams - 59082L
MAAC Jet Committee Chairman
JPO Member , 2L club member
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Dont use wheel collars! They are an item invented by the devil and promoted by the wheel manufacturers.
Use a self locking nut if yours is a threaded axle,or the applicable brass tube soldered to the wire axle with the wheel drilled to fit and secured with a washer and cotter pin...........a little work but paid for by the first wheel you dont lose.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

great idea Kevin, i hadn't thought of that, usually i grind a flat spot on the axle and then cinch the wheel collar down.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:51 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Sometimes the simplest things escape me

Hey Kevin,

Could you give me alittle more detail about how you do the brass tube/sleeve? If you sloder it on, with the wheel in place, will the heat from the soldering iron not travel through the wire and melt the wheel hub?
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #8
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Re: Sometimes the simplest things escape me

Originally Posted by Noin
Hey Kevin,

Could you give me alittle more detail about how you do the brass tube/sleeve? If you sloder it on, with the wheel in place, will the heat from the soldering iron not travel through the wire and melt the wheel hub?
No that's why Kevin said to resize the wheel hole to allow for the extra dia of the brass tube.

Kevin I assume that you cut down the axle so it is just a litle longer then the thickness of the wheel and the brass tube extends say a 1/8" to 1/4" beyond this and that is where you drill the whole for the cotter pin? Otherwise why not just drill through the axle directly and use washers and a cotter pin? Other then the axle being to hard to drill through.

Kevin feel free to correct as you see fit!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I usually smear bit of silicone (caulking) on the end of the wheel collar/axle when I install them. Havent had one like that come off, but its still easy to get them off when you need to.

On a larger model, I like Kevin's idea.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Even a piece of fuel tubing on the end; Many trust that for their clevises too.
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.