Hobby Topgun Mig-15 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Hobby Topgun Mig-15

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Was a vendor at the swap meet in Newmarket last Sunday, and this large box caught my eye. A chap had a NIB Hobby Topgun Mig-15 for sale at a price I simply couldn't walk away from, also, except for a few servos, I have all the other electronics and equipment to do the build. The fuselage looked pretty darn big in the box but when I got home, like all kids with a new model, I just had to assemble the foam parts. Yep, it's big.

I checked and this model is no longer manufactured. But the flight reports seem good, some advised that the wings folded, but I suspect they may have put in much bigger batteries without upgrading the carbon spars. But this is just my suspicion as all the YouTube videos indicate that bigger batteries are being used to get more power and speed. I'm kinda going the other way with a 5 cell setup over the 6 cell which they have in the instructions. However my newer equipment puts out similar power on just 5 cells.

Going to use a tried and true Hoaye 89 mm EDF UNIT, A Mega motor for a 5 cell setup which draws 89 amps at around 1500 watts.

The model features split flaps but the foam for the flaps is quite warped. Also with the large amount of wing area, don't believe I will really need them so will glue them shut after taking out the warp so it won't affect the airfoil.

I now have to continually remind myself that this model is going to be my summer fun plane, and not to do much to it other than have a lot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	930105  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Re: Hobby Topgun Mig-15

Because it is all silver, going to paint it bright red on the top surfaces in the scheme of the 1950's aerobatic demonstrators of the Russian Air Force. I found that Krylon spray paint works really well if you spray it into a cup, let it sit for a bit so all the accelerant vents off and then use it in your airbrush, it will not affect the styro foam. So, the bottom surfaces will get repainted silver, just to make it look fresh.
It will certainly be easy to see on a sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.gif
Views:	58
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	930809  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

Lucky dog!
Those kits are rare as hens teeth (yes I have an untouched kit too).
We built one years ago and it is simply the easiest jet I have ever flown. It floats like a large trainer. We built ours pretty light and found 6S power marginal. 7s transformed the plane to jet-like performance. We will likely build our second as 7S. The first now belongs to a fellow club member.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6459.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	931625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6471.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	931633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6293.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	931641  
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, I have several Mega motors left that handle 7 cells in a Hoaye EDF unit, they are for the Arrow's. I can get nearly 2200 watts out of them on 7 cells. The 5 cell setup gives me 1500 watts. But, the 7 cell might be the way to go.

I also have a JetFan 90 all setup but haven't even fired it up, I should test it and see how it performs with the Mega.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

When I tested the Hoaye fans the measured static thrust was about 10% less for the same power than other fans. People like to slam the CS 12 blade fans but the Hoaye was noticably worse. It also needed a lot of weight to balance. On the upside, it did sound decent when dynamically balanced.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #6
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I do have several CS fans sitting around as well, with the higher blade count, how much more is the amp draw when compared to the Hoaye. On 7 cells, the Hoaye draws around 85 and the Mega motor is rated for 90, so I would like to stay at that level.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Started the assembly, glued the wing halves together, lots of epoxy with some micro balloons. This version has a carbon fibre spar imbedded in the wing which makes them fairly rigid, but the little carbon bars that bridge the fuselage area just don't seem to be up to the task. I read in another build that the chap imbedded two carbon arrow shafts to create continuous spars. I happen to have a 3/8" carbon tube, so figured the most important location would be just behind the retract location. So, with my Dura Grit 7/16" high speed burr, easily made the trough to insert the carbon tube. I will make fairing to streamline the carbon tube in the intake so it won't create turbulence.

Also, since this model will be as light as possible, the warped flaps were epoxied shut. Eliminating two servos as well, every oz. counts.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	89
Size:	592.2 KB
ID:	932705  
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
I do have several CS fans sitting around as well, with the higher blade count, how much more is the amp draw when compared to the Hoaye. On 7 cells, the Hoaye draws around 85 and the Mega motor is rated for 90, so I would like to stay at that level.
I don't think the amp draw is much different between the two fans.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Today, because it's my birthday, the family let me do whatever I wanted, so, off to the workshop for several hours of undisturbed fun. The oleo's that are supplied are really not that great, so I discovered the same style of oleo's I got from HK actually matched in length, however, some surgery to the foam was required. Using my Dremel with my 7/16" flat top Dura Grit burr, this was easily and quickly done. The wheel wells needed to be a lot deeper, so I just ground them out all the way through the top surface. I designed the plywood mounting plates and again, removed the required foam with the Dura Grit burr. After everything was fitted, mixed up a goodly amount of 15 minute epoxy with cabosil filler and glued them in with the retracts and struts in place to make sure the clearances were correct. Put about 16 pounds of lead weight on the plates to really compress the 1/8" plywood plate onto the foam. Then removed the retracts so they would not accidentally get glued in due to excess epoxy oozing out.

Still needed a nose landing gear oleo so disassembled the three stock ones and managed to take the best parts and assembled a nose gear oleo.

The Hobby Topgun wheels are actually pretty nice. Pried the hubs apart and removed the ball bearing. Drilled out the hubs to accept a brass tube so I can use the axles that came with HK main gear oleo's.

All in all, a good day.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	936049  
Old 04-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Retract plate mounted in place. The plate will be drilled and 3/16" dowels will be inserted into them and pretty much all the way through the wing, these will actually lock the plate into the foam, not even a rough landing will tear them out.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	88
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	936057  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.