RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
prangled prop
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Gas engines and fire hazard

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was at the Leamington fly-in a couple of weeks ago and they required that anyone who was flying gas powered engines had to have a fire extinguisher close at hand. This got me wondering just how much of a hazard gas engines are. In 40 plus years of being around all types of gas powered engines from the small ones in model a/c and weed wipers to lawn mowers to generators and pumps, I have never seen or heard of a fire caused by a gas engine (except maybe when some dough head did a hot fillup). I have an the other hand experience, years ago, a control line aircraft that started to spit out ignited glow fuel in flight and actually start a small fire in dried grass under its flight path.

There has to be thousands of gas a/c engines started every year yet there does not seem to be any stories floating about.

What do you think
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

I've never seen a engine start a gas fire but have seen lots of people start gas fires while refueling.

Fire extinguishers at the field.........why not.

Mike Sebastien
airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
We have three or four fire extinguisher stations at our club field in case of emergencies. They are checked on a regular basis to assure that they are in top notch shape if needed. I have only been there for one year now and have never even seen one taken from the station other than to move them to flight line for an event and then as far as I know, one has never had to be used.

We do have a number of gas engines and a couple of turbines now at the club and I personally feel that its a good idea to have fire extinguishers available any time gasoline or kerosene is being fueled into planes.

With gas powered engines and turbines being used more and more, perhaps this is the time, if not already being done, to start a program of education and safety on the use of these substanses.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

There was a pic in this months MAAC mag of a plane up in flames that used a gas engine and had something horribly go wrong.

Best to be safe than sorry.
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Ed Smith

...............(except maybe when some dough head did a hot fillup)..............
That is exactly why we have fire extingiushers, for the Dough Heads!!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I carry a small "kitchen type" fire extinguisher in my regular flight box, with me each time I go flying gas or glow models.

I feel carrying a 2 lb mini that costs $25 or so is a small price to pay for the possibility, however slim, that I may lose a model to fire.

I have had a gasoline model engine blow (quite literally) flames out the exhaust on a wet backfire, and on two occasions had a glow engine (.29 size racing engine) backfire and set my test bench on fire! if it was in a model.... there you go.

The chance of a fire is not as unlikely as we may think. Like house fires, it seems as likely as winning the lottery. It happens only to the OTHER guy....

My point is, it is too easy to carry a small extinguisher not to.

And, anyone flying any turbine powered craft remember a fire extiguisher is NOT an option, its a requirement.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Having a fire extingusher handy when handling any
type of fuel just makes good sense.

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I agree Steve same as having a good first aid kit with lots and lots of bandaids and steri strips.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
prangled prop
RCC Junior Contributor

There was a pic in this months MAAC mag of a plane up in flames that used a gas engine and had something horribly go wrong
Yes but what went wrong, the picture tells nothing, I have seen the resulting fire from a shorted Nicad batter pack (not in an A/C but a commercial usage). Pictures do not tell the whole story.

Basicaly I do not think gas is any more dangerous than glow so to require an extinguisher for one and not the other seems peculiar.

Again, Has anyone experienced a gas fire with R/C A/C?
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

Not gas, but glow .... see MAAC's web page which relates an incident from the AMA bretheren...
(here's a quote...):

November 17, 1998 Carl Layden, Atlantic Zone Director

MUNCIE, Indiana, Friday, November 13,1998 --- AMA SAFETY ALERT

An AMA member was recently severely burned when a model fuel can exploded as it was being opened. He received very severe burns, requiring extensive grafting, and is facing a long recovery period.

The metal can he was trying to open had been in storage for over 20 years. There is no evidence of an external spark or ignition source other than the container itself. Consultation with experts in the field indicates that materials, such as ether, propylene oxide and nitro methane, commonly used in model fuels may become destabilized and shock sensitive over a period of time. As best we can determine, this fuel, whose composition included two of these substances, was in a state of change. It is probable that this change in combination with the heat generated by the friction (metal to metal) in trying to open the container initiated the explosion.

AMA advises that it would be unwise to open fuel containing these products that have been stored for some period of time in metal containers. Such fuel should be taken to a Hazardous Waste disposal facility. (Any fuel stored for over 5 years would be suspect.

I know it is "freaky", but it demonstrates how the simple things we do can lead to accidents....

if only...
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.