Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 0
Engine Storage

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is a good way to store Glow Enignes after the
have been used?
I know that you run the engines dry, then oil them, but
what is a good oil to use?

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

hmmm.... interesting question.... I've heard transmission fluid is a good replacement to actual after run oil that can be purchased at your LHS. Better than that is to fly them often enough to not have to worry about it!
Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Your going to get many different answers. I use Klotz oil and put a small mixing cup full down the carb. I roll it over by hand with the plug out rotating it on its side exhaust up until I know some oil has made it into the combustion chamber. I then replace the plug and put the whole engine in a sealed plastic zip lock bag to keep out dust and keep the oil from getting all over. I have heard of everything from storage spray to transmission oil but I feel that if it normally does not get used in the engine during operation I don't want to use it. Its only my personal preference.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
I use Marvel Mystery Oil and automatic transmission mixed 50/50 and seal the oiled engine in a "zip-lock" baggie..
Works for me.
MAAC #11945L
IMAC #3709
Instructor Soo Modellers
Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I have heard of Marvel mystery oil before but I have never been able to find it. Where do you buy that stuff. I also hear that Marvel airtool oil is even better.

I store my engines with skiis......I just fly'em through the winter. I burned 2 gallons last winter.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Harry K
Radio of choice:
FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 13

I use transmission fluid.......But have found that you go through plugs if you try to run without clearing the trans fluid with a crappy plug first.
So now when they have been stored I just use an old plug and run for a couple of minutes to clear out the trans fluid then put the good plug back in and I'm ready to go flying.

I also store with skiis.... I burned 5 gallons of fuel between Oct and Mar last winter
Harry Ketterer MAAC# 68725
Patricia Region Aero Modelers
Work is what you do for the love of it. My work is model-building. A job is what I do so I can afford to do my work. SPADS RULE
SpadHawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Dryden ON...you have to use skiis year round don't you...lol.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Ed Smith

Engine Storage

I am guessing you mean at the end of the season?

If the fuel used during the season had a lot of castor in it the engine will be gummed up with castor residue. That needs to be cleaned out. Very fine steel wool on the piston, liner and in the head will remove it. On a ringed engine the ring and groove should be checked and any stickiness of the ring corrected.

I do not use a lot of castor but I always disassemble my engines and clean them anyway as described above. I oil them with transmission fluid and put them in a ziploc. They are now ready for next year.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; I use air tool oil when I store an engine. I used to use zip lock bags but I like to leave a prop on the engine when I store it, so I have been using those potato chip bags that are aluminum foil and plastic. I wash the bags then turn them inside out before I put the engine in them, then I write on the outside (used to be inside) what engine is in the bag, and when I sealed it up. then I toss it into a big laundry hamper with all the others. I occasionally pull the hamper out and wiggle the props a little, if any of them feel stiff, I pull it out and re-oil it then seal it up again.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I have used a number of different oils and methods during my time in RC but the very best I have found is a product called "Reslone Oil Treatment."

I have used this now for a number of years as an afterrun oil and when checking my engines out at the end of the season find the bearing and all internal working like brand new.

There is a fellow in the club, every club has an engine doctor, who put me on to this product. He has engines that are 15 to 20 years old and still run like brand new. He said all he ever uses is the Reslone and he swears by the stuff. Its relatively inexpensive at about $3.29 per liter but it lasts a long time only using a few drop after every flying session. You use to be able to purchase it at Canadian Tire but they don't carry it now. I believe he said it can be purchased at Custom automotive stores like Princess Auto and the like.

Unlike transmission fluid, it has a good viscosity and coats all the internal parts displacing any moisture and alcohole. It actually seals the metal with a protective barrier that will not let moisture case rust...ever!!!

After every flying session, I put the glow igniter on the engine, start it up and leave it on idle for a moment to slightly warm up. Then I disconnect the fuel line and let the engine run dry. A few extra flips will burn off any residule fuel. Then I take off the igniter and pour a few drops through the carb and turn the prop backwards to suck the oil into the front bearings. Then a few drops more and crank it forward with the carb closed to suck it into the crank and up into the head and thats it.

I do this the same way for winter storage but disconnect the fuel and empty the tank. I not only pour some through the carb but actually take the glow plug out and pour some through there. On a four stroke I also remove the back plate to inspect the rod and bearings and give it a good soaking as well. I spray the whole outside of the engine with WD40 and place it in a plastic bag. Seems like a lot of work but is very little to protect a $300 to $700 dollar engine. Come spring it like new and ready to go for the new season! I do the same with my gas engines and have never had a problem.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.