How Old Were You When You Got Your Wings? - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #71
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Re: How Old Were You When You Got Your Wings?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hmm Funny I had just joined a small club 5 min from my house back about five or six years ago . Pres. was a former head instructor of the KW Flying Dutchmen. We had been flying together a few times and he asked me one day where my wings where. Told him had never been at a club that really had a wings program. (had flown off of my own property for about 10 years also). Well he said I have seen you fly lets go again.After, he passed me my wings and another that said instructor. So I wear them proudly and help whoever I can in this hobby. I have been in it over 35 years now. This entitles me to be known as Old Phart
To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #72
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

i started flying when i was 9 with a nexstar and soloed after 2 months and i am 12 now and still dont have my wings i just never physically got them handed to me but i havent had any trouble since but kinda funny that i fly giant scale 3d like 30 to 50 cc planes without my wings
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #73
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

I first flew when I was 22 with a Thunder Tiger Trainer 2000. I taught myself to fly. I assembled it and took off with no help. The flight lasted 2 minutes before I crashed it. I went out and bought another one the next weekend and still didn't have anyone in my area that knew how to fly. I simply took off again out on the farm, and did tight left hand circles and managed to land it. I simply kept doing these circles till I figured it out.

After I learned to fly that summer I bought a Model Tech Dragonlady and flew that through the winter along with the old trainer. I was amazed the next summer when I had a chance to fly a friends new trainer only to realize then how heavy my trainer was. My old trainer was so heavy with epoxy, drywall filler and extra wood. I hadn't really noticed the difference since the weight added so gradually over the months.

I learned the hard way and wouldn't recommend it to a new pilot. I'm glad for the experience mind you and have had 15 years of good flying and met some of the best people around within this hobby.

Last edited by rc300xs; 09-14-2010 at 11:24 PM.
rc300xs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #74
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Interesting reads,

For myself;
- I began flying control line and free flight at 9 (1971)
- single channel around 11
- 2 channel around 11
- 4 channel around 13
- glider and power wings around 1990
- instructor wings around 1992
- show pilot wings around 1993
- helicopter wings (blades program) around 1996

A long and instructive route, free flight skills were a definite asset in setting up and aircraft. Instructors would have been a shorter and less expensive path.

Edit: I didn't realize this was a resurrected thread ... second post, more detail.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Last edited by JimMcIntyre; 09-15-2010 at 02:11 PM.
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #75
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

They gave me my wings when I was 36.

I never flew solo without them. My first solo flight (#99) was on floats at our annual float fly (that was my incentive to get them).

Took roughly 6 months @ 2 days per week @ 2 flights per day.

....I'm still trying to earn them

Thank you Archie Gribben
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #76
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ron E
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Started in MAY 2010 Got wings inJuly 2010 Am 62 Played on simulator all winter. To me this is the way to Go
rone1948 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #77
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

1947 I had my first successful control-line flight, I was 8. I flew control-line until 1964 when I bought some stuff off an Army guy that came back from Europe. It was an aircraft called a Telepilot with a Telecont radio. The aircraft was covered in parachute nylon and doped. It had rudder and motor only. The motor was an OS .35 with a choke type carb. When I left Petawawa in 1972 TS still had it in his basement. I left modeling in 1980 and came back in 2007 when a couple of the local club members helped me get started again. That was the only time I had help. That aircraft is still in my garage, so you see I never really got my wings officially. The pattern ship I built last spring I did without a plan I new what I wanted and just started building. I flies really nice.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #78
RCC Noob
I am: Frank. W
Radio of choice:

When I started you flew and crashed etc... until you flew and landed.... went to the pub and celebrated by drawing wings on a frosty beer glass.
GigglyHz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #79
Jack Marcotte
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jack M
Radio of choice:
futaba and JR
# of RCs: 9-0

Total Props: 5

I earned my wing in 2004 at the age of 44... it took a few weeks. Gary Maker was my instructor and I think he should have given me my wings on the first flight...Lol

2010 July 10-11 Imac at Hamilton Flying Tigers Slide Show

TBrum Carden Edge at Hamilton Flying Tigers Club Apr 17 10

The Hamilton Flying Tigers
Jack Marcotte is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.