Phoenix Sukhoi Su31 1.20 size ARF.... a non-official review. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The problem is ANY flimsyness ANYWHERE will cause flutter.
Not just the elevator, but the whole stab can flutter! (in fact, whole WINGS!!)
(I believe this happened to Gary Maker)

When I inspected this plane, it was obvious to me that this was a potential problem.

In answer to the poll, no one thing can eliminate flutter.
Any one thing can cause flutter.
Unless you eliminate ALL the problem areas, you could have a flutter problem.

As I stated in my earlier post, providing everything else was tight, yes, I believe the flimsy stab was the problem in this case, and yes I believe the flying wires could have prevented it.

All surfaces will try to flutter at some speed, and the higher the speed, the worse the problem.
What we must try to do is make everything as solid as possible in order to increase the speed at which the surfaces will begin to flutter.

To get some Kevlar, you can buy the Sullivan Kevlar pull-pull system for about $12.
You will also get some fittings with it that you may be able to use to install it.
You could also just thread the Kevlar through the surfaces, and ca in place.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Allan C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Hello Gus,

I have a photo of the landing gear, does not look the same set that you have.

Hi Gary, do you have the samr set? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000158.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	4238   Click image for larger version

Name:	im000158.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	4239  
atiger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
On my Sukhoi I believe it was a combination of the flexable control horns and a weak stab. Had the stab been setup with flying wires, I don't believe I would have had the flutter I had at only half throttle and at straight and level flight.

There is absolutely no way I would trust that stab without the flying wires. If your on a tight budget then it will be far cheeper to add the wires now than to have to do extensive repairs when your stab fails and I do believe it will fail! I was lucky I was only flying somewhat slowly at the time my stab broke or I would have done some serious damage to the whole plane and perhaps worse!!!

SERIOUSLY....YOU NEED TO ADD THE FLYING WIRES! Its not that expensive to do. A couple of lengths of wire and 4 clevises will do the job! You gotta have that much kicking around the shop somewhere??

Ron knows what he's talking about. He has a lot of experience with airplanes and is definitely only trying to help you avoid disaster!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Go back and look at Gus's photos again... those are exactly the same gear and yes it looks like mostly fibreglass with only top & botom layer of CF.

If I were you I would go to and buy some real CF gear. Mind you do not expect these to be idistructable either. I had a pair on my CG Extra and after about 15 REAL hard landings, dorks and smacks my gear delaminated as well.

I think we are expecting too much from CF Landing Gear. It will not compinsate 100% for bad or outrageously hard landings. What it does have over AL gear is though it does not bend out of shape until it fails and it's a lot lighter!

Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #15
RCC Noob

Phoenix 120

I just flew my Sukhoi Phoenix . Before flying I upgraded to 440 pushrods installed Hi Tec metal gear hi speed servos...installed tail feather wires and balanced at the required 145 mm balance point with a Saito 150 and I could barely control knees are still knocking..but i made a hard landing and guess what..cracked the landing gear...repaired with an aluminum sub plate that extends about 3 inches down the underside of the landing gear...and then tie wrapped it to the carbon fiber legs...seems to be sturdy enough..but not over kill. Not sure why i was having so much trouble controlling it..had the throws set to what the manual required, some of my fellow club members seem to think that the controls are to high and I should reduce I did...have not flown it yet...could anybody give me some input?
warthoag is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice
I am: Albert P.

Difficult to say why but.... maybe the CG is favoring the tail and it makes it unmanageable, which an aerobatic plane should be. Make it nose heavy and go from there.
Once my hands and knees stop shaking I take the planes out of the car.
beto9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.