General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #21
Dan Toshack
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dan T.

Total Props: 0
Older Members

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
craigk brings up a good point that most have overlooked.

"how do we as club executives keep them around, but gently direct their energies to less dangerous forms of flight ".

Would your club, LHS, etc survive without the members over 70, 65, 60, 55 sooner or later you will join the group?

Who cuts the grass and maintains your field?

Offer your assistance - some members at our field are very good at assisting senior members to assemble and check their equipment out at the field, repair if necessary,stand with them while the fly,take off and land for them if necessary, etc.

Some are on fixed pensions and can't afford to downsize or feel that the investment is too expensive for the remaining years.
LHS could offer discounts to senior members wishing to down size to safer aircraft. Start a fund raiser at your club or pay a extra $1 at the LHS.

How many years have you supported your LHS?

We all have a love for this hobby lets support it and our fellow members.
If membership falls off we all pay the price.

Please add to the list:

Be part of the solution.

Thanks Dan
Dan Toshack is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:50 PM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
older flyers

This is a most interesting topic.I had the personnl experiance of my own health going down the tubes for a period of time as I was getting close to soloing some years back and perposely gounded myself as I felt I could be a danger.
I know of guys in similar situations from various clubs for various reasons,had thier flying skills deminish.Some just quit,some wanted to still fly but asked to do so using a buddy box and eventually stopped flying once they realized that the instructors finger was numbing out from constant uses doing on and offs.But stayed on as a builder and did the team bit.
Some will take the observances graceiously and most won't.There is really no pat answer to this but to be compassionent and to gently persuade them to ease back of let them realize they need to ground themselves.
Just treat each case on an individual basis and with respect.Only play hard ball if necessary.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Al O

Older Member

I had the privalage last summer to see Ivane Christanson fly his plane at the 400 club.I don't know his age but he has to be getting there.Do you mean to tell me you are going to tell me that you are going to tell him he has to switch to a Park Flyer because he got to the age that you think is too old.This man that hit the motorcycle.Was it because of his age,or was he ever a good driver.I'm 71 and still love to fly.I hope that I'm let fly till I want to quite,not told I have to ,by some people who think that there way is the write way.{ LAND OF THE FREE}

Al O'Neill

copilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #24
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Re: Older Members

Craig.. you must be realy old..I saw you fly

Man you walk right into this one

Originally Posted by craigk
ok - borrowed a full set of firefighter's gear from my bud in the plant fire department - so ok to be flamed

As we all get older, things begin to fail, like hearing and eyesight and reflexes. not me though

Have any of you club safety guys or other club ne'er do wells begun considering how to deal with the aging member who still thinks he is ok to fly the 50 lb lumbering hunk of an airplane?

Without question, these guys have a vast skills set that should be tapped into and knowledge abounding - but how do we as club executives keep them around, but gently direct their energies to less dangerous forms of flight

ok guys give'er
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:56 PM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I was going to answer this with some comments. But instead I will place it in my not to go near area. Ed if you are flying and I think it was you commenting about yourself(correct me if I am wrong) I will stand out there with you on the course. Us older guys know what the garbage bag is for. You forgot the spade.
ps: now wear glasses and just about ready to be potty trained.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:58 AM   #26
Ed Smith

I will stand out there with you on the course
Now there is a classic example of the experience and knowledge gained through age.

John knows where the safest place on the course is!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #27
RCC Apprentice

What was the point of this post? Common sense does not always come with any age. People are individuals with different abilities period. Rules made to protect the group based on stereotypes infringe on the rights of the whole group. If anyone in a club sees someone out of control deal with it individually. He could be 15 or 80 years of age and just as likely 15.
ROBC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #28
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by britbrat

I have been learning all my life -- not everyone does this -- many young folk take a learning holiday for 10 - 20 years because they already know everything that there is to know.

can733, your post does sounds rather arrogant.

I've come to the conclusion that we get dumber with age, because when I was 18, I knew everything, and my parents were idiots!

Now that I'm getting......matured......I don't seem to know so much, and am constantly learning.

As for the age topic, it's not the age of the person, but the physical health. (ie eyesight that can't be inproved with glasses) to imply that age slows one's witt's is absurd. My grandfather can now only recognize me by my voice, but is as quick as ever, and a hell of a lot smarter than me. There are several "aged" combat pilots (this means you Lightning )out there that not only take my streamer, they taunt me while they do it.

If someones (anybody reguardless of age) has difficulties flying safe, then it is up to the club exec to deal with it.

We have an older gentleman who is losing his eyesight, and he always asks for a spotter/buddy in case he needs someone to take over.

remember: If it wasn't for the "old" folks, us "young" guys wouldn't know anything.
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #29
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Okay, I'm 68 . One of the lucky ones. Still have 20-20 vision after a few glass changes over the years. Been flying RC since the early 60s. Still teach. I think a lot of it has to do with experience. Test flew a new Super Sportster the other day for a 35 yr old fellow club member. Motor would shut off after about four mins. Sounds like a fuel problem, right? Checked fuel system,test flew, dead stick. Cleaned carb,dead stick.etc, four times. Ended up as a bad crystal of all things. He took it up today, throttle linkage came off the servo arm and went to full throttle. went over to see what happened, as the plane was doing about 80 mph( havn't been able to convert yet) He wanted me to stay around in case he had trouble and have me take over. His Knees were shaking like a dog sh#tting razor blades Maybe thats the difference. I've been through that scenario so many times over the years a bad situation doesn't bother me any more. One just keeps ones cool without panicking.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #30
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Originally Posted by can773
Continuing education is one thing, having the reflexes to pull yourself out of dangerous situations is something different. Just because you are learning something has no bearing on fading
A superior pilot is one who uses his superior knowledge to keep himself out of situations which may require his superior skill. ( reflexes)
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.