Tuned up the Albatros this morning - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Tuned up the Albatros this morning

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ran two tanks through the D5 this morning. It was nice to fly it in a light breeze for a change. The LA 25 is finally broken in and pulls the 3 1/2 lb. bird nicely with a 9 -6 APC. The big thrill was nailing a dozen take-offs and landings in a row. The gear was moved forward slightly, and the 6 mil coro wheels re-inforced with Futaba servo wheels glued to both sides. I also left the controls on full rates 100% of the time. No more nose overs during taxi, take off and landing. The grass was freshly cut a few hours earlier. Sideslip's Pup was out at the field last night but didn't fly. If it flys as good as it looks....Vee vill half too ooz zee zeecrat vepon!
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:43 AM   #2
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
Hi Gary,

Glad the Albatros is going good.
Question: How much rudd/elevator throws are you using?
The rudder and elevators on the Spad are HUGE and the test flight will be soon...(might be Wed.9th at the Humber field)
Wings are WPV sealed and ready for the latex paint. Will be 16-17oz. for both.
The rest with 4 std. servos will add up the total to 3.75lbs. I'm guessing.
I made the stab/fin/rudder removable for transporting.(4-40 nylon screws)
I'm working on the cowl and fuse foam top and bottom. I'm making a refueling hatch and the machine gun removeable so cooling air can exit more easily.
I put the throttle servo under the engine. The batt. pack is right behind it above the LG mount/under the tank. A 'rough CG check' looked good.
Will be painting Sun/Mon.
I found a cool colour scheme in one of Bearcat's books.(Thanks Bob !)
Two tone green/two tone brown camo on top and yellow/tan undersides.
With the big French roundels it should be quite colourful.
I'll do the pilot, struts and scale exhaust stacks after the test flights, I'm getting too impatient to fly this thing...!
I usually test fly with the CG a bit fwd of what I have calculated. I'm wondering on the elevator throw. I don't want it too twitchy but I don't want to run out of up elevator on landing either.
The only thing more exciting than flying combat is...Test flying a new combat design ! ! !
Take care, have fun,
Unabashed Combat Team
(Dicta Boelke Polka Squadron)

Oh Yeah, There are 123 scallops on the trailing edges of the wings and tail...Look out for the "TailSlide Cut" I'll be working on ! ! !
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
The D5 is set up for 3/4" both ways on the elevator, ailerons and 1 1/2" each way on the rudder. It flys fine with 50% travel on the elevator and ailerons. What's good for me may be too much for you. A lot of surface area is lost when the control surfaces are rounded off like on the Albatros. Also, my ailerons are cable driven from a central servo so there's plenty of slop. Hope you make it out on Wed.
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
I'm still not done with the SE 5a. Two funerals last week put a real glitch into all other aspects of our lives. I got a lot done yesterday and have the whole day today to work at it. I hope to be ready to test fly early next week. This being my first real coro bash and it being a biplane this build has been quite a chore. I am sure the next one will go faster. I was down to visit Eric yesterday. He leaves for a week in P.E.I. tomorrow and has been really bashing to get his Fokker as near completion as possible before going on holiday. He is a much better builder than I am and his Fokker is a masterpiece. These planes will be fun, but, on the whole they seem like a lot of work for the use we are going to put them to. I hope the slow speeds mean they will be survivable. I'd hate to have to build too many. I hope you guys are all well and getting ready for the London week-end. Best regards to all.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3
crash impact

Hi all I'm finnaly done moving and got time repair the Albatross from a mid air that Ted and I had a few weeks ago. We hit wing to wing we both sustained damage Ted's worse than mine. He broke his struts and lower wing and crashed. I suffered complet failure of all but one of the struts and cabaines and a small gouge in th top wing with two broken ribs. Thank goodness, and Gary's insistance on putting flying wires on it. She landed OK but could not turn to the right with out a violent snap!! No wonder the wings were very much out of wack!!!!!!!!!!! All is fixed and looking as good as new and ready to saw off a few more tails. So dont get too concered about impact damage it took half an hour to fix it looked worse than it was. Besides if you thought WW2 was fun well are you in for a treat with these little rudder bugs!!!! Cant wait to see all of these planes that I've hearing so much about. Keep building please we need all we can get for the Dawn Patrol
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.