How Do You Flat Spin? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
3D - Aerobatics Discuss 3D

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
How Do You Flat Spin?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm wondering how you do a flat spin. I've been trying to do one on my RC Flight Simulator with an Extra 330S 3D. I can't get it to work (that may have something to do with the fact that I don't know how). So how do you do it?

Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
RCC Noob

Re: How Do You Flat Spin?

Originally Posted by propnut
I'm wondering how you do a flat spin. I've been trying to do one on my RC Flight Simulator with an Extra 330S 3D. I can't get it to work (that may have something to do with the fact that I don't know how). So how do you do it?

I actually wrote that... I was logged in under my dad's name, sorry dad .
IFLYRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

You'll need the c of g towards the rear of its range and you need a very reliable running engine. The control throws do not need to be increased.

Okay lets go: Enter a spin normally and then after a few revolutions slowly reverse the aileron input. You should see the tail come down, the spin rate increase and the descent of the aircraft slow. That's it.

To exit, neutralize everything and hang on. Usually after 2 or 3 revolutions the aircraft will exit into a spiral dive. This is the nerve wracking part because your waiting for it to come out of the spin. Ok what do you do if it doesn't? Kick full down elevator in and come up on the engine. This should get airflow going over the stab and will result in getting the nose down. If that doesn't work you can try reversing the rudder but I don't think it will help.

I've only had one aircraft that didn't come out of a flat spin and that was because the engine quit and I couldn't get prop blast over the tail. The interesting thing about a flat spin is because the aircraft's descent is slow when it hits the ground the damage is less then you think. When my aircraft hit the ground it went into some long grass and there was no damage.

Variations: Once you enter the flat spin come up on the throttle and watch it really wind up. I think this is how they do a climbing flat spin. Also can be done inverted.

I like to get really high up then enter a flat spin, come up on the throttle and get the old guys at the field to count the number of revolutions. Makes for great discussions later on at Tim's.

airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Keith D.
Radio of choice:
Aurora 9
# of RCs: 7

On most aerobats, inverted flat spins look better and are easier to do. Thing is, the aileron inputs are opposite to upright spins. Start an inverted spin with full down elevator, left aileron and right rudder. Slowly feed in less left aileron and the descent will slow. Add some power and it will really slow.

I use 3D rates for flat spins. The amount of aileron input differs with the airplane, but to get my Edge to flat spin, I don't even have to cross center with the aileron input. If you add too much it will 'flip out' of the spin.

A blender is simply a rolling dive that transitions upbruptly into an inverted flat spin. Straight down with full aileron then jam on full down elevator and full opposite rudder (and full throttle). Great fun.

Hope this helps

lewdfinger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

Ya those blenders are great fun till your wing explodes from the G- forces, make sure your wing is well built, if you aren't sure you will know after the blender
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

the only sim i have seen that does flat spins real well is areo fly pro. In Real flight G2 i have yet to see a good flat spin. If some one has a video to say it will i would love to see iot because i have had my sim for a few years and still to this day cant get it to spin.I dont know about the XTR reflex sim it may be able to.
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.