GP Stuka is awesome! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
GP Stuka is awesome!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Finally finished my GP Stuka last night. The lateral balance was good and the cg was just a little over the suggested starting point of 4" from the leading edge. I used a Tower Hobbies 75 engine and to get the muffler to fit I had to dremel out some of the bottom of the fuselage and then close the open gap with fiberglass. I wanted to use a MAS 13-6 prop but the hub was too wide to allow for a lock washer so I settled for a 12-6 APC. Based on posts from other Stuka owners I pulled the landing gear wires forward about an inch to prevent nosing over problems. I also maxed out the aileron throws to give better roll response. I also used a Sullivan tail wheel assembly in place of the one supplied with the kit. The taxi tests showed that the planes steering reponse was very good and that there was no tendency to nose over even without adding up elevator. The wind direction kept changing but it wasn't too fast so I just picked the longest runway and throttled up. The plane speeded up very quickly and was airborne in a few seconds. In fact it just wanted to climb even when I reduced throttle. I had a flying buddy standing by and he added full down trim. It was better but it still needed more. Aileron trim only needed a few clicks of right for level flight. Went to full throttle and was amazed at the shape of the dark wings against the sky. It was pretty cloudy out and I had to suddenly turn around before I lost sight of it. With this engine/prop combo this is one fast plane, faster than my Kaos which was the test plane for the engine!! Didn?t want to try the flaps or anything fancy for the first flight. Made some low high speed passes and they were fun to watch. Turned to land and chopped the throttle. The plane slowed down nicely and touched down on 2 wheels about way down the runway. Rolled about a dozen more feet and then the tail touched down. After I taxied back I adjusted the elevator halves for down trim and a bit on the ailerons. The second takeoff was awesome. Just throttled up and steered down the runway. Just when I was thinking of adding elevator the plane took off by itself followed by a gentle climb out. Made a few high speed passes and was thinking of trying a loop but decided not to as it was starting to get dark and I wanted to see what I was doing a bit better. Brought it around for another landing that was even slower and better looking than the first one. The applause?s from the crowd of flyers was nice to hear as well. This plane is a keeper and it made my whole weekend worth while!
Sometimes your plane catches the wind. Sometimes the wind catches your plane!
Fastsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Stuka pics not showing up ...

I tried to post some pics of the Stuka but they don't show up. Sorry guys... I can email them to any boddy that is interested.
Sometimes your plane catches the wind. Sometimes the wind catches your plane!
Fastsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
What is the file size of your pictures? You are only allowed up to 150KB for each picture.

If you have Microsoft Photo Viewer or similar graphics software, try saving pics as gifs instead or try jpeg as opposed to jpg.

Hope this helps.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.