Super Coverite question - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Re: Super Coverite question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Don't understand the for using varna thane. To me it would just add unnecessary weight.

I asked a question in the 'Construction' section a while back and got some great answers from the guys here on RCC and tried it, to my delight it worked.

Perhaps because it fills in any minor imperfections, seals in the sawdust, provides a good level of adhesion without and harmful vapours and it can be purchased at any CTC.

Have a look at the comments from 'MAX' and 'Thunder Chicken' on page two.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

I agree with Mike .... if the covering has adhesive coating on one side, putting any kind of finish on the balsa should not be needed; just a few strokes of sandpaper to remove any oxidation and vacuuming to remove dust which would interfere with adhesion.

I looked up the preparation of wood surfaces on an old package of a fabric Coverite I have; apart from filling in cracks and sanding, there is this:
"Coverite has a new space-age adhesive that adheres without any wood prep. However, we recommend one coat of our BALSARITE which will seal the wood, inhibit the return of moisture and reduce bubbling and wrinkling later on."
I don't know about the "bubbling and wrinkling" but the sealing of the wood and inhibiting the return of moisture is, in my opinion as an amateur woodworker, is nonsense.
"OUR Balarite" = please buy something else from us.

For an adhesive to fabric not having an adhesive coating, lots of things can be used: dope, Modge Podge (available at craft stores like Michael's), ordinary thinned white/yellow wood glue (applied in multiple very light "spit" coats on wide, thin surfaces such as LE sheeting, to prevent expansion of the wood until the wood surface 'sealed' to prevent the water in the glue from deforming the wood), etc.

good luck,
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

Hey guys;

The fun thing here is that LOTS of things work.
Some methods take longer, some have more dust or odor. The type and size of plane that you are working on also has a bearing on the method you use.
Here on the RCC we exchange ideas – it’s up to you to decide which one you would like to try/use.

It’s just a matter of what ‘Works for YOU’.

Happy Landings!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Rand S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the idea of using the water based varathane...I think that may be the route I'll go.
RandS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Only thing that concerns me with water based anything, is the water bit. Thin sheeting doesn't like getting soaked with wet stuff. While I've successfully used water based varnish for glassing, I dope-sealed the sheeting first, which kind of defeats the purpose. You're just adding weight, and risking damage to the wood. Mike Sebastien is absolutely right. If it's super clean, you don't need anything.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

One issue is that if you aren't going to seal the wood (I have used water based polyurethane) the adhesive tends to gas off when the model sits for a time in the hot sunlight, causing those telltale bubbles.

While I haven't weighted a plane before or after the urethane treatment, the added adhesiveness and the ability not to bubble is worth any added weight gain in my fleet. When applying urethane you will se little grain tails pop up, a quick sanding with 400 grit sandpaper will leave you with that "Babys bottom smooth " feel. (Sounds like a weird thing to say on a RC plane forum).

I have had a specific make of ARF, and this manufacturer could use a lesson from this thread. No matter what the color is (light vs dark) the damn things have adhesion and gassing off issues......
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #17
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

Here is a good example where I used super coverite. Just sanded the structure with 220 grit sandpaper, made sure it was dust free and applied the covering. Nothing else was applied to the surface and wasn't required. Proof is in the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3141.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	852.3 KB
ID:	948721  
Mike Sebastien is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

I actually used the varathane method to seal a set of old wooden rotor blades before covering them with Monokote. It worked very well.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights will make an airplane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.