Help sheathing styrofoam wings - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: Help sheathing styrofoam wings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Dennis. Simple is always the best KISS. keep it simple stu... There is always the wallpaper paste or 50 50 white glue and Kraft paper, silkspan, or the girlfriends old nylons method too.

Last edited by aspeed; 05-15-2016 at 08:30 AM.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 11

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
or the girlfriends old nylons method too.
I can tell you for a fact this did not work for me. By the time I got them off her I was so distracted the epoxy ended up curing and I got nothing done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #23
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

Interesting read guys. However, the use of finishing epoxy that you can get at your LHS works great if you are using the wing saddles and wieghts to clamp everything in place. But tge best and quickest way is to use 3M 77 spray adhesive, you can get it at Staples office supply. I've used it to bond balsa to foam cores from sport planes to jets. Follow the instructions on the can and you cannot go wrong. I've sheets complet sets of wings in an evening.

Just blow off all dust from tge foam and the balsa sheet before spraying on the adhesive on both surfaces. Let the adhesive cure until it is dry to the touch. Line up the balsa skin and ccarefully lay it down onto the foam core. Be sure the wing saddle is supporting the foam core on tge table side and be sure its on a very flat surface. Burnish the balsa surface with a block of foam, like a sanding block and rub the whole surface. Its a permanent bond. Also, adds very little weight.

Good luck, if you need any further info, you can pm me.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #24
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1

I use 3M spray adhesive before
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #25
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rick B
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Total Props: 0

I built my first short kit this past spring with foam core wings. I cut a clean edge on the sheeting so when I butt them up it was a tight fit. Then I put one strip of blue painters tape on the joint to hold the sheeting together. Then I bent the 1/32"sheeting at the joint and edge glued with Lepage express quick dry glue. Unfold the sheeting so both edges butt up and I used a damp towel to remove excess glue. More blue tape on the opposite side to hold the position while it dries. After I sized and sanded the sheeting I used LePage Low Odour Contact Cement. It is water based and applies white with a little thicker consistency than 1% milk. After applying the glue to both the foam and sheeting I waited the recommended 30-40 minutes for the glue to turn clear. I covered the shuck in wax paper and I put the wing/stab in the shuck and covered 2/3 of the glued surface with wax paper. I positioned the sheeting against one edge and used my covering iron set at 300 working over this section. The heat allowed both surfaces of glue to create a strong bond. As I worked my way along I would slide some of the was paper out working from the center out until the sheeting was done. I would not hesitate to do it this way again. No need to add weight and if you cover most of the glue section with wax paper you can re-apply the sheeting if you misjudge the first application.
akabek is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.