Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1
London combat blitz

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had a great time participating in my second competition of the year and would like to thank the CD and people that helped along side them. I would like to thank the lmac for the use of there field. The cooking staff and sound crew.

My hats off the 1st"Ice man" ,2nd "Ace bogie" 3rd "Midair" 4th (I can't remember) Hopefully next year I can get me one of those trophys
The prizes were excellent and am very pleased to know there is such involvement with the main sponser AVF hobbies. Sean you wanna sell me a motor?

To all the great flyers all I can say is everyone did well.
To all those that contributed to the carnage pile. Got glue I hope to have mine fixed up tonight.

Hope to see all off the contestants before the next contest in cobbles hill next spring. Until then, I'll be watching my "6"
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
As usual it was a superb day of 2610 combat at the London club. You guys really put on a great event...nice work contest director Mike Allen and support staff. 20 registered pilots and lots of interest from the wannabe combat pilots in the spectator area. Just keep doing what your doing!

I saw Ken Latam from Medicine Hat wringing out Jon's Mig after the contest proving those westerners have as much testosterone as we do!
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:34 AM   #3
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
I want to add my 2 cents worth of Thanks for the London Club, The event organizers and the ladies that kept us well fed. A great job by all. It always amazes me just how much work some people will do so that others can play......without them there would be no contests.
As regards the contests. I think Saturday proved the WW 1 concept. A little less wind would have made it much better. I am not too concerned about the decision to allow any proper size motor. The FX's will have a power advantage over the LA's but, I don't see these planes flying very fast no matter what and absolute speed won't win. The thing I do feel strongly is that if there are going to be bonus scoring points for rise from ground take off's and proper landings then the landing gear has to be almost scale. Gear that is extra wide for example, to me, is a move away from scaleness to produce a specific advantage and ought to be catagorized no differently that a tricked up exhaust or similar modifications made for a performance advantage. To me the easiest thing would be to eliminate scoring for landings and let the activity in the air decide the matter. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, just an observation.
What can you say about Sunday. Perfect conditions, record number of registered pilots and more laughs for square inch than ever before. There was certainly no record set for numbers of cuts and there was a fairly large carnage pile but FUN FUN FUN...... Again my Thanks Looking forward already to next year. I know the season never stops for the Cobble Hills guys, but, most of us actually have down time once the official contests are over.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3
good time by all

what else can be said great flying and good freinds till we meat again. before pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blitz_2004_011.gif
Views:	520
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	4636  
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3
after the rush

And were still friends after all this what can I say
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blitz_2004_033.gif
Views:	523
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	4637  
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

I cant add much to what has already been said.

This was the 3rd match of my career and the first time out at London, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to an exciting season next year and hopefully more combat meets added to the circuit!

Buzz out!
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:29 AM   #7
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
I had a great combat weekend, lots of flying and laughs.

A big thanks to CD Deadeye, the fantastic London ground crew and AVF Hobbies. The cooks did a fantastic job. With all the great 'BossHog' tomatoes I piled on I think they qualified as veggi-burgers ! ! ! Very tastey.

Dawn Patrol was great. After a Friday 'allnighter' the Spad VII got done for it's first test flight in half a gale. I was really pleased that it went well right off the building board. Just needs more ail differential. I thought all the planes flew great considering the wind. It was strong and very gusty. There was also up and downdraft(windshear?) turbulence from the tree line. In the 5th round I went up really high over the tree line to see if there was steadier wind up there to get some turns in without 'catching a wing'. After a couple I decided to spin back down into the combat box. I didn't realize how much the wind was blowing it back towards me. Sure enough...I spun right into the top of Bobcat's S.E.5...oops...sorry Bob ! I'm glad you got it back into the air. (coro won over wood/foam...hehehe.) The Spad will fly again with some beefier cabanes and a 'wethered, battle damaged realistic finnish' Talk about a 'baptism by fire' ! ! ! hehehe It was alot of fun.

The Blitz was fantastic...again. Tons of fun.

I'll post on it later. It is 'back to the trenches' for me right now.

Take care, have fun,

Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
RCC Contributor

I'd like to add my thanks to CD's Mike Allen and Ted Banks for putting on a great weekend of combat!

I was mightily impressed with the turnout for the Dawn Patrol, and how well everyone's planes flew, especially considering they were all, by and large, original designs! That should be good encouragement for anyone building their own WWI design now that their chances for success are high!

There were 10 pilots for Dawn Patrol, and as I recall, we had the following types out that day:

Fokker D.VII
Albatross D.Va
Nieuport 11
Sopwith Pup
Be2c (Or Be12a)

All flew very well, in spite of the high winds.

The Blitz was spectacular! 20 pilots made it a great day... although I had spent so much time prepping my Pup, that I arrived at the Blitz with only one Corsair to compete with.

Many Many thanks to Jeff "Iceman" Truemner and John "MiGuyver" Holmes. When my corsair got vaporized in round three, Jeff lent me one of his MiGs so I could stay in the game. Luck wasn't with me though, and I got hit in round 4 with Jeff's MiG!!! Johnny stepped in at that point and lent me his stand-by MiG to finish out the last two rounds with. What a great bunch of guys!!!

I'll sure have to make sure I have a good stable of planes next season so I can pay it forward

It was a great weekend in all, and although the competition was fierce, the events were overwhelmingly rooted in the spirit of having fun, which sits well with me!

Dave "SideSlip" Plank
MAAC# 64211
Humber Valley RC Flyers
Sideslip is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.