CC3d tuning/issues - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1
CC3d tuning/issues

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
While test flying a new quad with a new-ish cc3d, forward flight seems to cause a loss of roll control. Initially while tree top flying, I would push the stick forward and pull more pitch (scud running or "hot dogging" it) the quad would veer to the right, and require significant left stick to keep it on course. After flying a few packs, the next flight resulted in a complete loss of response to roll input, even at full deflection. I only had 1 flight mode programmed at the time, however I don't think flying even at a mild speed should cause a complete loss of response to roll control.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
static80
RCC Apprentice

I am: Myles S

Total Props: 0
Re: CC3d tuning/issues

lack of control makes me think that your P gain on the roll axis is way too low.

And the slow roll right requiring you to correct it with left input makes me think the I gain is too low
static80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Thanks Myles.
I'm using LibrePilot, does the P and I equate to "Proportional" and "Integral" values?
If I click advanced I'm also given a "Derivative" option. These are all listed under the "Rate Stabilization" section.
I'll play with them and test fly again once I can find some prop nuts. My last test flight threw a prop nut somewhere into the garden. Not likely to grow a plant of prop nuts....
Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
static80
RCC Apprentice

You are correct on proportional integral and derivatives, often referred to as PID's.

I don't have Librepilot but have a version of Openpilot GCS and it allows you to set PID's for Rate mode (inner loop) as well as P and I for Attitude mode (outer loop)

Proportional is how much force the flight controller applies when attempting to be in it's correct state, either level if in attitude mode, or pitching and rolling according to stick inputs. Generally slowly increase P gains until you notice some oscillations indicating that they are too high, then lower back to a point where there are no oscillations. Unless your quad-copter is a perfect x and weight distributing for and aft is the same as left to right then the gains for pitch and roll need to be set independently one at a time.

I is the force the flight controller applies to correct for any small accumulated errors over a period of time. If the copter slowly rolls the P logic might not notice it because it is too slow , but the I will take care of it. It's not so critical to get the I gains as high as possible. If you're happy with how it holds it's attitude then I is good enough.

D is for trying to smooth out the P gain oscillations in aggressive/abrupt maneuvers. Such as smoothing out oscillations when you do a 180* turn and you are flying through your own prop-wash. Save the D gain for fine tuning when you're quad-copter is flying "pretty good".

I encourage you to read more articles, and watch youtube videos on PID tuning. You can get much more in-depth and better explanations than what I just tried to give.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
BillGreen
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill G

Try flashing the board in Cleanflight. Some good flying PID's already.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 3

Ive had some funny responses to a prop being loose, and the arms being loose!
You could re calibrate the gyros in the GSC and making sure to save the calibration.
I also had a time with props, the cheap 5x3 props would not give me a consistent flight, once I changed to DAL 5x4.5 bullnose I flys the same everytime, and I dont change props after a crash anymore!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. I've done a bit of research but no one has actually defined what PID stood for. Clearly at least. I'm not sure whats on the board, but Cleanflight is much better than the stock firmware? Is Coptercontrol a firmware? I think I recall seeing that somewhere.
I'm using Gemfan props, they haven't broken yet even after my first crash, they just bent a bit. Good reviews I've read. I've double and triple tightened everything (except for my last flight, didn't tighten a prop nut enough = gone).
I'll give these ideas a shot and hopefully have some good news. Thanks for the mini-crash course in tuning!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
static80
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_ace View Post
I'm not sure whats on the board, but Cleanflight is much better than the stock firmware? Is Coptercontrol a firmware? I think I recall seeing that somewhere.
Coptercontrol is the original firmware that was developed for and alongside the CC3D boards (guess what CC3D stands for). It is no longer updated but Librepilot is basically the new and current version.

I would strongly suggest getting a hang of the PID tuning before you bother changing the firmware on your board. I managed to flash a cc3d with cleanflight but it was a whole extra learning step and I've seen quads fly well with both firmware.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

CC, coptercontrol....... boy do i feel smrt now!
I'll try tuning it up Monday and have a go at it. Gotta get this tuned up to hopefully catch some races this summer!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

In my endless research to find answers to tuning a quad, I've stumbled across a couple links. Called "Tuning PID's the easy way", it apparently takes 2 simple numbers and gives you the rest of your PID settings. I'll be trying it this weekend for sure, but from what I've read it's pretty spot on.

Explanation of how to tune PIDs the easy way.
https://250drones.wordpress.com/cc3d...-using-optune/

2 Different PID calculators. I haven't been able to test them yet, but both have good reviews.
http://cncmodel.altervista.org/blog/...alculator.html
http://www.novaprogrammi.it/lptune/

For interest sake, LibrePilot also has an EasyTune option, here's the link for explanation sake.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wik...ay/LPDOC/TxPID

Hope this helps everyone, I'm looking forward to testing the calculator out and see if it will finally correct my drone issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.