bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31
Re: DA50R Over Heating

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
WE HAVE SUCCESS!

All of those who suggested a partial blockage of the carb are/were correct!

I took apart the carb and found that the filter screen was coated with a fine layer of ‘DUST’ (? I don’t know what it was).

But it acted like an ultra fine filter that allowed some fuel to pass and under the demands of high power it leaned the engine out to the point that it over heated.

I bought a Carb kit and Carb cleaner, then followed along with a Youtube presentation and then put it all back together – I just ran two tanks of gas through it at High speed (7.1K) on the ground with no problems!

FYI – I checked my inline fuel filter – it also had the ‘Dust’ in it… that filter got cleaned as well!

It is the ‘Little’ things that make or break this hobby… now I’m going to take a look at the rest of my gas engines to see if they need a cleaning too!

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by bbbair; 05-28-2016 at 10:44 PM.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
tronic5
RCC Apprentice

I am: yoram d
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 5 +

Total Props: 0

You mentioned crashing your plane, With all the inertia going forward, Perhaps
the clunk (fuel pick up) in your tank is lodged at the front end .
tronic5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
-Rick-
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
JR 9503, Frsky Horus
# of RCs: 5+

Total Props: 1

I chased my tail around on a little DLE 30 once and it ended up being the batteries for the ignition. I to thought it was getting hot, run for a bit, start acting up, then it would quit.

Just a thought.....
MAAC #20880.
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #14
bair
RCC Noob

I am: Robert B
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 1

I now have a dozen flights on the Extra since my Carb repairs - NO PROBLEMS!

That little bit of 'Lint' in the Carb filter was the culprit!
bair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

Your 32 to 1 mixture is too much oil. Too much oil will make the engine run leaner and hotter. Your best to follow the engine manufacturers specs on oil mixture. Adding extra oil to a two-Stroke engine does more harm than good.

Here's what DA says about the oil;
Some oils, and their mix ratios, that Desert Aircraft recommends are: Red-line Two Stroke Racing Oil (40 to 1), Motul 800 (50 to 1), and Stihl HP Ultra (50 to 1). These oils can be found at most motorcycle or chainsaw shops.

Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your 32 to 1 mixture is too much oil. Too much oil will make the engine run leaner and hotter. Your best to follow the engine manufacturers specs on oil mixture. Adding extra oil to a two-Stroke engine does more harm than good.

Here's what DA says about the oil;
Some oils, and their mix ratios, that Desert Aircraft recommends are: Red-line Two Stroke Racing Oil (40 to 1), Motul 800 (50 to 1), and Stihl HP Ultra (50 to 1). These oils can be found at most motorcycle or chainsaw shops.

Cheers Floyd
Gee Floyd...

I appreciate the concern but I don't think that excessive oil is going to hurt an engine,

I contacted DA about the situation and here is what they had to say;

"Our preferred oil is Redline Racing oil mixed at 40-1. Itís the cleanest burning oil we have come across. Bearing life is great and cylinder temps are very low.
It sounds like your oil and mix ratio is working OK, but itís hard to say without seeing inside. Areas of concern would be carbon build up on the cylinder head and piston crown, build up in the ring groove that could stick the ring and piston and bearing wear. You got 4 years out of it so far, so it could obviously be worse!! If you want to clean it out a bit, you might try the Redline at some point."

32:1 or 40:1 ... I don't really see that as a major difference and I am not experiencing any problems, but thanks for your concerns.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10

I have been running 32:1 with premium gas for last few years and never had a issue. ZDZ recommends that so I went with it. I also use the same mixture on My DA100, DLE56, DLE35 and DL30 without any issues. If I had to mix gas/oil engine for each engine, that would be inconvenient. At the end of the flying season I use the left over mixed gas in my snowblower and it works fine.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #18
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 18

Rob
I break my DA's in on 32-1 dino. Then switch to Redline 40-1. I did find the 32-1 will carbon up the ring a bit but a few gallons seems fine. The Redline afterwards does clean the internals up quite nicely. The little screen in my carbs had a yellow sticky substance stuck on them. Turn out it was the fuel tubing breaking down. I had to use thinners to get it off.
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

Think about a 32:1 and 40:1 oil mixture. If the carb jets are set for a 40:1 mixture and you run a 32:1 mixture, your getting less gas and more oil which is a leaner mixture and will make the engine run hotter. That's why you should follow the engine manufacturers recommendation at all times. Here" a link below to adding too much oil. Cheers Floyd

The motor is designed to operate at this ratio. in any motor, 2 or 4 stroke, lessoning the fuel will cause lean burn. even though oil burns, it is in 2 strokes as a lubricant, not a fuel. you may increase the oil to fuel ratio, but not too much.

Last edited by floyd; 07-14-2016 at 09:40 PM.
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 10

More oil is always better to a point. more oil in a gas/oil mixture will let the engine run cooler because the oil is providing less friction which results in the engine running cooler. the difference in 32:1 and 40:1 is negligible but I will always go with more oil.

I remember a few years ago everyone was using amsoil 100:1, It didn't last as it proved out in the long run not to work

And mixture adjustments on the carb has nothing to do with oil content.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.