Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #31
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Allan A
Radio of choice:
futaba 9cap
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Re: DA50R Over Heating

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I find this post very enlightening but I was wondering what is normal operating temp for these 2 stroke gas engines [roughly]

thanks Al
allan980 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #32
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Well if it doesn't make a difference in how a motor will run then why wouldn't all the engine manufacturers just tell everyone to run 20 or 30 to 1 as a mixture to extend the life of the motor? Cheers Floyd

If you read my link I gave earlier you would have answered your own question. At 30:1 and higher mix ratios the ring seat may carbon up and the spark plug. if it is a high compression engine such as a ZDZ engines which can handle the higher temps of premium gas this isn't a issue. For me as I said earlier I have had good results with premium Gas and a good non-petroleum based oil that doesn't contribute to the carbon build up. I have a ZDZ 160 with at least 100 litres of fuel through it and there is very little carbon build up on the piston crown.

I wish AJcoholic was still around he would have provided a better explanation than I can.

Last edited by Mike Sebastien; 07-15-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #33
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

Here's another interesting read on the subject. Cheers Floyd

Two stroke engines are picky eaters. Change the oil/fuel mixture, fuel to air mixture, heat range of plug, type of gasoline, type or size of carb., exhaust system, geographical elevation, outside temperature, etc. and you need to re-jet the carb.
Your engine has a main jet that the fuel mixture must pass through to be mixed at the right ratio with the air. Too much oil in the fuel causes the mixture to be thicker, which causes the air to fuel mixture to get way too lean. You thought you were adding more oil by using a thicker mixture. What really happens is that the mixture could not get through the main jet at a sufficient volume to lube the engine. You actually gave it less oil. It is like putting ten-weight versus sixty-weight oil in a drip oiler and still expecting six drops a minute from the same setting. You also starve the engine for fuel which also causes the engine to overheat. Kind of a double whammy.

There was an excellent thread about 'extra' oil in a 2-Stroke engine and what it could do - the engine will run lean - this is NOT good for the engine - more oil (non-combustible) actually 'dilutes' the gas you are burning. Less gas and the same amount of air = lean conditions.

Last edited by floyd; 07-16-2016 at 07:34 AM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.