Almost lost it this morning - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Almost lost it this morning

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Perfect conditions for float flying this morning in the Kawarthas.... clear blue sky and no wind. After a long gentle climb out I circled by directly overhead and allowed my Superstar 40 to get behind the canopy of the big birch at the foot of the dock. The winds aloft pushed it back further behind the tree line and then I couldn't see it anymore. I could only tell by the sound of the motor if it was entering a dive or flying further back away from the lake. The plane came back into view about 30 seconds later. Does this experience prove I'm a gifted flyer....or a stupid one? Don't answer that!!
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

A lucky one!!

airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; Isn't that an exhilerating feeling when you save it, like in your description? I had one of my students fly away while I was dealing with another student, I just turned the plane around by guessing how long to put in aileron, and held it steady. After 90 seconds or so it appeared on the horizon, I flew it back as though nothing had happened and gave him back the tx. He was amazed.

I've recovered planes from behind trees a few times too, even once from behind a mountain, but that was more luck then skill.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I would like to buy a sack of the horshoes you must have up your butt; I could use them! I can lose it when it's in full view, but usually because I let it get too far away.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; I did two miraculous saves today; one was so far away and spinning to the ground, I could just barely see it. I just flattened it out and tehn figured out which way it was going, gained a little altitude then flew it back. The lady pilot was just about n tears, and so gratreful when I brought it back. I had to land it for her as she was still trembling with fright, at least I think it was fright.

The other one wasn't so dramatic, but it was a valuable plane, and it did get pretty close to the ground before I managed to wrestle teh Tx from teh pilot.

I had never flown that plane before and didn't know if it would pull out or not. Just goes to show "never give up on it" until you walk iover and start to pick up the pieces.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Almost lost the Edge once into the bush this summer. Our field does not have a whole lot of room on opposite side of the runway.

The Edge unexpectedly snapped out of the bottom of a loop (it was a gusty day - it was not my fault ).

By the time I got it leveled out is was heading straight to the bush, over the trees but not by much.

Panicking a little and ignoring the very subtle signs that it was low on speed, I over corrected to get it turned around. It snapped out again at the edge of the trees

I managed to barely catch it again - now well over the bush and skimming tree tops. Then a split second later lost sight of it (into/over the trees).

Knowing how it "should" behave, I eased in some slight right rudder, some slight right aileron, and pinned the throttle. I then eased back on the elevator and hoped for the best.

It felt like forever, but was really only 5 - 8 seconds. I was cringing the whole time, waiting for sickening smack of an Edge on a tree trunk and the helpless sputters of a dying four stroke.

Then suddenly! ... The Edge! ..... It was there! ..... Miraculously emerging from the swaying green tree-tops! ......... As quickly as I had lost sight of it, it popped right out! .... Like a "homesick angel"! ....... Heading straight verticle with tons of speed, engine grunting and shooting for the clouds!

I swear it had to have knife edged in between some trees and flown nimbly through some branches to have survived. It was way low and well in there.

Whew, that was a close one. I sweat a bucket just now while writing up the experiece.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.