General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #41
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I should have know better than to bring the controversial subject of scale speed.

Best dissertation I've read can be found here;

Anyone care to address scale sound?
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #42
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Anyone care to address scale sound?
I'm pretty sure that scale sound, and scale Mach # would fall into the same catagory.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #43
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
In order for a scale pylon speed................they'd have to run 1/3 throttle to look scale.....those demos we saw in Kitchener this year were frighteningly fast..........looked to me about 200mph in the straights and 100 mph in the tight 50 foot arc they turned at. Watching the Reno ( full scale) races on ESPN recently....... I'd say it was nowhere near scale at Kitchener Scale would probably load up them Nelson motors with tuned pipes so much, they'd choke at scale speed, I'll bet.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:53 PM   #44
Ed Smith

Demonstrates pylon turns in a scale like fashion.
This maneuver is judged for scale like impression, speed and smoothness of flight
especially in the entry and recovery from the high banking pylon turns. It is not judged for accuracy of turns about the 'pylons' even if pylons happen to be there for other purposes.
Errors: Model does not fly straight and level during the designated straight legs of the maneuver.
Model does not make a pass parallel to the runway.
Model gains or loses excessive altitude in turns.
I could not have described it better myself. The recipe for winning races. straight, smooth and fast.

.....those demos we saw in Kitchener this year were frighteningly fast..........looked to me about 200mph in the straights and 100 mph in the tight 50 foot arc they turned at.
200 mph? I wish.

If, in the turns, I lost half my straightaway speed I would be guaranteed to lose every Pylon Race I ever entered. As much as we like to brag about speed the reality is this. Those models at Kitchener were flying at between 150-160mph. We balance, trim and fly them in an attempt to not lose any speed anywhere on the course. We did not fly as smooth as we would like. We where trying to stay away from the crowd line on one side and avoid the corn on the other.

Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:34 PM   #45
RCC Contributor

Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
Originally Posted by Fodder
....would someone have to dig up video footage if available to possibly see how it flew?
Fodder, I have several hundred hours of video of various WW1 (and even earlier) aircraft flying if you'd like to see some examples.
There are also allot of anectodal accounts from Great War pilots about how the planes flew. "Flying Fury" by James McCudden, VC and "An air fighter's scrapbook" by Taffy Jones being two good examples (mixed in are examples of drunken squadron rugby games and Paris debauches to keep things interesting hehe).

But the designs of the actual aircraft, and engines, give alot of clues as well. The prevalence of gravity feed fuel tanks (for instance) gives the model pilot a good idea of how well Great War planes performed inverted hehe.
Dave "SideSlip" Plank
MAAC# 64211
Humber Valley RC Flyers
Sideslip is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.