RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58
Interesting developement

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
On the way home from the club field yesterday I noticed that a local farmer has bought a plane and reactivated his private aerodrome that has been inactive for 25+ years. That puts our model strip directly under his flight path at less than 1 mile!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Interesting developement

Stop in and let him know your situation. Doubt the volume of traffic will be high from a private strip and some arrangement may be possible for both parties to be advised of activity.

Might be a good idea to contact MAAC to check if that affects your field.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

The answer is really quite simple. Get an air band radio or scanner and have someone monitor it. Coordinate your activities with the owner of the airstrip. Limit those high altitude manoeuvres. Consider moving your field. I have a couple of radios you can have really cheap.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9

Good open communication resolves a lot of issues.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

After being forced out of two locations for reasons beyond our control I can understand how frustrating this must be for you guys! Hopefully he is reactivating the strip just for his own use. If so, some communication and using a spotter should work. By the way Kip "consider moving your field" is not a "simple solution"!
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

That should not be a problem as most private airplane are only flown occasionally. Just land immediately if you see his aircraft coming your way to stay on the safe side and you'll be fine. As far as a radio, from my experience, lots of farmer who fly from their private field don't even bother using it so that might not help a lot. Being only a mile away he is probably aware of the presence of the club and he will surely keep an eye on you too but I would go see him and talk with him about it if it was me. That should not be too hard to make him a friend as he is charring your love of aviation...

Disclaimer: Having said that, this is just my personal opinion, I might be wrong, please don't quote me, have a nice day.
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

Again, the aftermath of the Gov't using a sledgehammer to kill a fly..... As mentioned here, the use of this re-established strip would likely be intermittent. There is a huge difference between Hoboken Alberta and the control area of a major airport in any Canadian City.

In all likelihood Toronto or Vancouver probably has more flights land or take off in an hour than the Coronation has happen in a year. In another thread discussing this issue, a retired commercial pilot (also a former Full scale aerobatic pilot) mentioned rating airspace. One heck of a simple idea.

I have a guy with a private dirt runway 7.33km from me. He uses said runway for both private flights and commercial spray plane operation. Frequently his strip is too wet or muddy to land on. Next best option for him is to land on a super-grid road right at his driveway on top of a small hill. Not to mention his neighbor directly across the road who may decide to leave his yard as the pilot is landing!!!!

I wonder what is more dangerous, a full scale pilot who chooses to not follow his basic flight training (had a chat about what full scale pilots are supposed to do prior to landing on a un-controlled airport which he hasn't been doing), has no respect for rules flying over occupied yards and livestock...... who will likely end up putting a spray plane in the dirt, or little Johnny flying a plane at a long running RC club.

The "more informed" RC guys will all tell ya, "I'll put my RC model into the ground before I would chance hitting a full scale plane". BUT, there seems to be more people believing the common sense stuff doesn't apply to them. Darwin would shake his head these days!!!!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

I respect the concern, but a model plane with a wing span of around 6 ft. is only around a quarter of an inch long at a mile away. I know as I lost one about a mile away, found it the next day. So at half the distance I'd be coming back, just for safety sake. But a few push the button types will cause a situation over neutral air I suspect. I think maybe a talk is in order before the neutral air becomes an issue. Also is it the same landowner or a next of kin person in charge?
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

I agree with all who have suggested a conversation with the strip owner is in order. I don't see how talking to MAAC is going to influence things at all quite frankly, some clubs operate right on airport property.

Thanks for the offer Kip, if having a radio on and tuned to the local airport will help we will do that. At this point I doubt it will. The reason for that is that it is highly unlikely that he will be using his radio flying from a private strip off his own land. Actually the town airport which is only about 2.5 miles from his strip is an unmanned "Unicom" airport and using your radio to fly out of there is not required either.

As for moving the club field, our best bet would be to move it at his place then there would be an excellent chance of good communication! I doubt that would be a viable solution though as I have done business with him in the past and he is a pretty sharp fellow with the pencil and we have free rent where we are now.

As far as the amount of traffic out of his strip goes, it will be very little I'm sure just as there is very little activity at our field. However the chances that it will occur on the same nice calm summer evening at both places is quite high as I am pretty sure the weather will be the same both places!

So the next step is to go have a chat...

A little history on his strip:
The two brothers took flying lessons about 35 years ago when Coronation had a very active full scale flying club and as with most rural clubs when the rules for privately own planes changed in the late 70's the club died. The brothers then set up on their own land until the high interest rates in the 80's caused them to downsize the farm and hobbies. The one brother passed away suddenly a couple years ago and now the other one is retired. Looks like he is rekindling an old interest! Our model club started up just a few years after they shut their field down.
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 05-30-2016 at 09:08 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

Merv, we have had a model field and full size strip on our property since 1977, and in fact our full size strip I less than 1000' north of our model area an we overfly the strip when flying the jets etc. Unless your neighbor decides to do touch and goes for an hour it really shouldn't impact you guys much. Bottom line is, unregistered farm strips operate only because the neighbors allow them to by not complaing so he cannot force you to move. With a bit of communication this should not be an issue. I agree, this is not a MAAC isssue at all.
Trout Farm Flyers

Last edited by reo; 05-31-2016 at 06:31 AM.
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.