EDF lipos - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rick B
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Total Props: 0
EDF lipos

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am in the market for some new lipos to run an EDF. For my application I am looking for a 6S 3000-3500mah range. These are the three I am looking at:

Turnigy Bolt 3400mAh 6S 65~130C HV $72.37US
Turnigy Graphene 3000mAh 6S 65C $68.04US
Revolectrix 3000mAh 6SHV 22.8V Lipo - 70C SILHV label $77.95US

Does anyone have experience with the Bolt, Graphene, or Revolectrix lipos? I have some Revolectrix (not high voltage) that I have ran in an EDF and it comes down cool with no puffing but I also do not run it full throttle for the entire flight.

I don't want to get caught up in the hype but a battery that can take the stress of an EDF would be ideal. On another note do I really need the high C count or is that more fluff?
akabek is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: EDF lipos

Check the physical size of each before buying to make sure they will fit your application. I think the Graphene are noticably larger and heavier. Revo's are generally lighter than other typical lipos.
Personally I would look for Pulse or Gens Ace. Rotorquest has some locally in Toronto and I think the Tattu brand are just another sub brand of Gens Ace/Pulse.
As for C rating, I've had excellent results with my 25C GA 5500 6S but I don't knowe how smaller versions hold up. I would aim for 45C if possible.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
heligaz
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gary

Total Props: 1

I've used revo packs for the past couple years and will buy more.
I've tried 2S to 6S.
I would try keep higher C rating which I think helps with higher current draws. (Just my opinion).
I typically won't buy anything less than 45-50C unless it's a regular RX pack.

There was a coupon for less 10% on revo if you used it.
I believe it "russ10 " I will check and repost if that's wrong.
heligaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Nev
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nev

Total Props: 3

Been using revos for 2 seasons now, really liking them this thread may help you....also I have a coupon for less 10% that is still active.. use rusk14
Ships in six days by fedex!!!

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=262066
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

I have a couple Revoelectrix packs for my Rifle but so far I have only tried one of them in a 64mm EDF. It comes down cool and no puffing. What C rating are you guys using? I bought these two but I need to check which one I am using

Revolectrix 2200mAh 4S Lipo - 60C Diamond Label
Revolectrix 2200mAh 4S Lipo - 40C Platinum Label
Old 06-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Nev
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nev

Total Props: 3

I have some 2200mAh 4S Lipo - 40C ran one down to well below safe levels in error it charged and balanced perfectly and has had many cycles since at around $30 a pack pretty hard to beat ! In that plane I pull about 45 amps, omega 130 motor with castle 50 logs show 630watts with these packs, packs come down warm after 6-7 hard minutes! Internal resistance has remained low in all cells after many flights. I am about to get a bump looking forward to watching my charger on my ipad ! OH TOYS!!!
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...Controller_305
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
RickyBoy
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14mz; DX18QQ
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Revolectrix all the way. The new Bump controller makes things even easier.....can't go wrong
Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

I have some Revo lipos so I decided to give the Turnigy Bolt 3400mAh 6S 65~130C HV lipo a try. I will eventually grab a Revo lipo as well to run in my EDF to compare.

Does the bump controller only work with the Powerlab chargers? If so I am invested in the Icharger 4010 duo so that would be a no go for me. Correct me if I am wrong but the controller stores charge settings to charge a particular battery? I usually charge more than 1 lipo at a time and it takes me a few seconds to input the lipo type and how many amps to charge so I am missing the point of spending $144US plus shipping, conversion etc just to store some settings.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
RickyBoy
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14mz; DX18QQ
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabek View Post
I have some Revo lipos so I decided to give the Turnigy Bolt 3400mAh 6S 65~130C HV lipo a try. I will eventually grab a Revo lipo as well to run in my EDF to compare.

Does the bump controller only work with the Powerlab chargers? If so I am invested in the Icharger 4010 duo so that would be a no go for me. Correct me if I am wrong but the controller stores charge settings to charge a particular battery? I usually charge more than 1 lipo at a time and it takes me a few seconds to input the lipo type and how many amps to charge so I am missing the point of spending $144US plus shipping, conversion etc just to store some settings.
Yes it only works with the Powerlab Chargers. Your right no point....I just thought it was cool. Let me know how those Turnigy Bolt works out
Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
akabek
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBoy View Post
Yes it only works with the Powerlab Chargers. Your right no point....I just thought it was cool. Let me know how those Turnigy Bolt works out

Too funny. I made a point a couple years back to keep it simple and stop with the bling.

I have to build the HK 70mm Viper first before I can test out the Bolt battery. I am curious to see how the high voltage performs. I will need to order a Revo so I have something to compare against but so far I have had good experiences with the Revo lipos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.