I'm done with electric starters! Did you know this??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
I'm done with electric starters! Did you know this???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been flying for a few years now and I've always used an old Hobbico electric starter on all my engines. But, as you all know, power cords are a pain an they can be a hazzard around spinning props.
Recently I saw a guy at the field with an OS61 starting the engine by hand. I was amazed that it was possible until I saw his fingers. He was missing the tips of a few and had broken finger nails too. Ugly! Nonetheless I was intrigued so I tried a few things.
The real difficulty it getting the engine through compression is by pushing on the sharp trailing edge of the prop. But, I found that I don't need to do that. If I bounce the engine off of the first compression in the wrong direction (with enough speed), the engine will fire and then start in the right direction. This worked well on my 91FX so I do it all the time.
Here is the fantastic part! I just bought a new 46AX. I used the electric started on the first day to break it in and then it occurred to me to try it by hand. Of course, it works perfectly. I've now made about 5 trips to the field with various planes and I have not once used the electric starter. Yes, you can start a cold engine this way. The other evening it was down around 5C (40F) and I had no problems.

Here's the procedure:

If your fingers touch the prop at any point, you are doing it wrong!

-Fuel the plane and secure the tail.
-Leave the glow heater off! Open the carb 100%. Put your finger over the carb and rotate the prop through compression a few times until the fuel lines are primed and some fuel has entered the base.
-Set throttle to high idle.
-Put the glow heater on.
-Hold the fuselase with one hand (as usual) and grab the spinner with your thumb and two or three fingers with your opposite hand.
-Slowly turn the prop ccw until it comes up against compression and then quickly (with a quick snap) spin the prop clockwise (the wrong way). You may need to do this a few times and it has to be a sharp snap. Be sure to move your hand in a smooth motion away from the prop at the end of each snap. (This will happen naturally I hope!)

This is the method of engine starting that has made me feel the safest (hard to believe, but you'll agree if you try it) and it has made life at the flying field easier because I can leave the flight box in my car.

So, was I just the last to know about all of this? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Get your self a "chicken stick" A one inch piece of dowel approximiatly 6 inches long. Cover one end with a piece of rubber tube, something like an air-line hose or garden hose. When the engine fires the prop will hit the rubber hose and not your fingers. Control line flyers never use a starter. They wrap hose around their fingers or use "chicken sticks". G'luck
kiwipaul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I seldom use an electric starter (except when I'm flying helis), too hard on the engine, and unnecessary as well.

I use a light modification to your priming method as well. A couple flips after closing the throttle to idle (with thumb off carb) will result in fuel getting to the plug faster....

A safer method than the one you're describing is to install a decent spinner, and use that for your finger grip to give a flip backwards against compression. Your finger never need enter the arc of the prop.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Or if power cords are the issue, consider a Kavan planetary gear starter. Mine works on a 14 volt power supply and turns over a Saito 1.80 in Jan. No power cord.

Most of my 4-strokes I use prime and chicken stick but there are a few stubborn times

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1
Personally, I use a starter nearly every time. At least for the first start of the day. I see no reason for doing it the "old" way. IMHO starters make it a lot easier and safer.

channel38 ( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

There was a thread on this several months back. Gary Maker was giving similar input on how to use this starting method.

It it pretty cool. I like that you don't get the nose cone damaged from the starter which is a pet peeve of mine as you have a great looking plane, with a scratched up nose cone.

I have to try this starting method more. My attempts have resulted in the engine running backwards (trying it with my OS 91 fourstroke). Maybe just more practice or something.

I definetely don't use my finger on the prop anymore after I got bit in the spring and gave myself a good cut. I now use the starter for saftey but plan to continue to try this trick.
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike G

I don't even own an electric starter! Any engine I've had starts just fine with a chicken stick. For warm starts, electric starters are very handy though, and there's almost always people at the field to borrow one from Mike G
Eat. Sleep. Fly. Life's that simple.
mikeyg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Maybe it's just poor engine tuning, or perhaps I'm impatient, but I was ever so grateful when one of our club members took pity on me and gave me his old starter. He flies giant scale gassers and had no use for it any more, but I am thankful for his generousity never the less.

That said, it makes so much sense to do it the manual way, no need to lug a heavy battery and starter, less to get tangled up in, and less to pick up afterwards

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Electric Starters

I've been using an electric starter to start my R/C engines, up to .60 size, for more than twenty-five years. I wouldn't be without one and I've never ruined an engine because of the starter. You do have to be careful of excess fuel in the cylinder, because as we all know you can't compress a liquid and the starter is powerful enough to snap a crank - I've seen it happen.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor

Some engines are amiable to the reverse snap, and some just refuse to fire unless it is running at a fair rpm under starter power.. I've had both...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.