RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
My new Saito 100

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello; I just recieved my new Saito 100 on Monday, I read the book, and oiled the engine and turned the carb around. While I had the rocker covers off I noticed that the valve setting was pretty tight, in fact the clearance was 0. I set the valves using the tools that came with the engine at .04 mm.

Today I bolted it into my Funtana to break it in and took it out to my shop and fired it up. It started up right away and put out a cloud of exhaust. I took it outside and ran out the tank. The second tank through it I leaned it out until the smoke lessened a bit, I found i could idle it down so that it would sit there, and didn't have to be held.

I'll run another tank through it tonight, but I think it's pretty good, quiet. I don't expect it to idle all that well yet. I was skeptical at first of the little muffler, but it's pretty quiet, and makes a nice sound.

I'll check the valves again after I have an hours running time on the engine, like it says in the manual, and report back then.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I have never adjusted the valves before running the first time on any of the dozen or so Saitos that I have purchased over the last 10 years.

Saito recommends not even touching the valves until you have at least two full hours of running on thier engines. There is a good reason for this!

Part of the natural break-in is getting the rings, valves and other internal parts seated and broken in during the first two hours of running! Had you run the engine as recommended and then checked the valves you would have found that they properly gapped themselves after seating and the rocker arms loosened up etc.

I have Saito engines that are 5 or more years old that run like the day they were purchased and have NEVER touched the valves uness there was a problem with one of the valves sticking, which is rare anyway!

Unfortunitely, now you are going to HAVE to fiddle with the valves cause you will find that you've reset them now and you will HAVE to do it again when things loosen up. If you do reset them after an hours running, then again, you will have to do it again after 2 or 3 hours of total running

You know, the old addage is very wise: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Anyway, good choice of engines. I just purchased the same engine but the Golden Knight version! Hoping it comes in before the weekend and I am putting it on an Hangar 9 Ultra Stick and would like to fly it on Saturday!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I check my Saito's after 3 hours run time. Only once I've had to adjust one valve on a .91.

They run like a dream most times but it doesn't hurt to at least check as per instructions.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor

I am not sure why but it seems that whenever a new engine is purchased, nobody actually follows the manufacturers break-in instructions. I have a Saito 72 that I purchased new. I broke the engine in exactly by the book and it has worked flawlessly ever since. If you read the instructions you will see that it tells you to run the engine as rich as you can get it at no more than 4000 rpm for atleast 30 mins. (atleast it does with my 72) I ran mine at 3000 as rich as i could get it for 45 mins without leaning it out just to be safe.
MAAC #50437
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; I think I am finished breaking it in onw. Iput two tanks through it today, I adjusted teh low speed nearly 3 turns in, then a third af a turn richer on the main needle. Now it runs great. Idles steadily at 2000 rpms turns 9700 on a 15 x 4W. I'll fly it in my new Funtana next weekend, weather permitting.

I'll take my big Bingo to the lake tomorrow, Saito 80, I better charge it up.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.