DA 50 vs ZDZ 50ng, DA 100 vs ZDZ 100ng - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 AM   #11
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I wont get into the brand X vs brand Y thing since most of it is based on pride of ownership not facts.
Too there are many first time gas owners learning new things about tuning and cooling their new engines.
For what it is worth in my immeditate club,and among a discussion group at the NOOSE meet last weekend ,and with no names mentioned there are seven IMAC flyers all using ZDZ products ,all with total success,and all with total reliability.There are 3 50cc,two 60cc,and two 80cc involved in this sample.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19
I'm like you Kevin,I don't want to get into the x and y thing.I do have and have owned all types of gas engines.I own three ZDZs,1 BME and 2 Taurus engines right now.Love them all.My ZDZ 100 is on a Carden 35% Extra which I thought weighed in the neighborhood of 28 lbs.This is it's second year in the air.Last sunday one of the guys came out with scale and was weighing aircraft.It turns out the Extra weighs 33 lbs.The ZDZ 100 takes this plane vertical forever.It's not a rocket but it does everything you want it to do.They don't seem to turn the same props as well as the other 100s' but they really seem to perform in the air.They are very strong engines,don't be fooled by the RPM numbers that others convey.ZDZs start and run as well as the rest of them,in fact I would have to give throttle response to the ZDZ.My BME 110 turns a larger prop at a higher RPM but is in a 26 lb airplane,so it makes it very difficult to compare.I am in the process of putting a 40% together and through much searching and talking to people I have chose the ZDZ 160 even over the new 3w 157.I can tell you what ever you buy,you will not go wrong,I have never had to send any of my engines in for service or upgrades yet.Hopefully I will never have to.These engine manufacturers are always improving their products and the end result is excellent products that we get to brag about no matter what brand.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have seven gas engines currently and all start and perform well.
I think you are correct and that a lot of the problems we read about regardless of make have to do with people on the learning curve with new gas engines,and mistakes made in breaking in,cooling,needle twiddling,and oil gas ratios.
I agree with your findings on ZDZ.......they are a little different inasmuchas they are high CR ratio designs that benefit from high test gas (NO NOT WHITE GAS OR AVGAS JUST THE HIGHEST PUMP RATING YOU CAN FIND).
They are" torquers" as opposed to" revvers" and matched with the right prop will give spectacular performance in the air.
Yes.......I do own a couple.......currently a 60cc and 40cc matched with Bisson mufflers.,and Im currently using Brambula props from RCS.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #14
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I like the ZDZ engines. I like their lighter weight, and their good power. The rotary valve for induction seems to look like a more reliable deal than the reed valves some other manufacturers use (I never could play the oboe!), and people say it has better mid-range transition because of it, but then that implies a rear carburetor (at least I thought it did until I saw pictures of the ZDZ inline twin and the boxer quad engines; I don't know what is up with that). The rear mount carb is more of a hassle to mount in some circumstances than for example the DA-100, with its carb underneath. I'm right now excavating a big hole in the firewall of an ARF to accomodate the carb on my ZDZ twin, and will have to box it in to keep that atmosphere separate from the cabin air. The DA-100 would bolt right up. ZDZ and DA seem to be about the same in the big twins as far as power and reliability so, if you don't have a particular preference, you might look at what your mounting requirements are for a particular aircraft before purchasing the engine. Every aircraft I've framed up myself, and now this big expensive ARF, has the firewall too far forward to accomodate the rear mounted carb. Making that recessed box is in itself no big deal but honestly I always seem to have the mixture adjustment needles right smack in the firewall, which is no fun at all to adjust! Hope this helps.
Mike Biedul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Well I've been flying a ZDZ 40 with absolutely rock solid reliability for the past year and a half and it just seems to gain in power every time I go out I haven't touched the needles since last summer and once warmed up its scary how easy it is to start. I'm literally talking a half flip through the magnet and shes away to the races.

I am using a NX 21-8 prop (sorry Mike ) I got from Airwild in Toledo, and I LOVE THIS PROP It has great downline braking and pulls my 18 1/2 pound BME Edge (confirmed on a digital scale) like a tractor striaght up at 3/4 throttle.

BTW I can't believe all this stuff about this plan coming out at 16 lbs with a BME 50 engine. It's not 2 lbs lighter than the ZDZ. I think if most people got an accurate digital scale they would be amazed at how heavy their planes really are What really matters is how does it feel in the air, and for me this plane rocks
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.