Canadian "Drone" Regulations coming Monday - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
ACITceva
RCC Noob

I am: Shawn V.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Canadian "Drone" Regulations coming Monday

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anybody heard any details from MAAC about what might be coming down the pipe? I thought I was following this issue rather closely and my understanding was that MAAC and Transport Canada were working closely together and that any regulations were still a little ways out. But then this suddenly:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...gulations.html
Quote:
Alarmed by close calls between drones and commercial aircraft, Transport Minister Marc Garneau on Monday will roll out proposed regulations to govern the use of drones and training for those who operate them, the Star has learned.

Recognizing that drones come in many sizes, Transport Canada is looking at creating different categories of rules, depending on how much they weigh and how they will be used.

Those categories will also dictate how much training a drone owner needs to operate the unmanned aerial vehicles.

Garneau will lay out details of the proposed regulations during a news conference Monday morning at Ottawa International Airport, where he will be accompanied by pilot and airport representatives.

While rules are already in place for drone use, the growing popularity of the aerial devices is forcing regulators to go further in a bid to keep drones and aircraft safely separated in the skies.

ACITceva is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22
Re: Canadian "Drone" Regulations coming Monday

will be interesting to see wha that means. the media usually gets it wrong. TC already had its public input phase.

I personally don't mind the 'size categories' for regulations. But of course, I would rather the regulations just were not intrusive at all. I do not want the regulations to infringe on other peoples' fun without compelling reason to do so.

In the past year or two, the use of the consumer drones has exploded ... but also become 'normalized' and accepted by the public. I see less uproar and more interest as millions buy them from big box stores. I see all kinds of news agencies and commercial companies using them. And many of the Youtube channel video bloggers using them in very creative ways that might have been seen as risky before but not so much today.

Kind of like motorcycles, or snowboarders. On the face of it, snowboards and motorcycles would be banned if they were introduced today. But the more the public wants to use these consumer drones, the more government and everyone else will have to accept them and find ways to integrate them into society.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

Regulation without enforcement is a waste of time, money, and paper. A "Drone Cop" would likely die of boredom, unless he/she was at the right place at the eight time (highly unlikely given response time).

Have TC advertised for new enforcement officers?
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
tch_popeye
RCC Apprentice

I am: Trevor Haskett

Only the responsible flyers will be bothered by this, should it go ahead. Kinda like hunting according to Ministry of Natural Resources rules. Sure, I might see a game warden in the middle of the woods as the sun splits the horizon... so I buy my tickets, tags, keep my licence valid, keep the firearm cased until legal time of day, etc. But then, I'm also the kind who follows rules when no one is looking, and uses turn signals even in a parking lot. And I have never met a game warden in the field.

On the other hand, there are some who hunt without any effort to learn of, or follow, the rules. There aren't enough wardens to make the risk noticeable to these types. It would be the same with rules against drones.
tch_popeye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 14

Whether or not people follow "new rules" will depend on them but it may influence the sales people who may need to educate potential buyers. After all how many flying FPV have actually gone & got an Amateur Radio Operators License? I'll bet the percentage of pilots flying without is much higher than that with one.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151

Being as the term "Drone" is so over-generalized today, I wonder what they mean by "Drone" in that article?; Just multirotors or all model aircraft in general, similar to what FAA has done in the US?

I guess we wont know for sure until Monday.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Interesting

www.Pro-rc.ca
North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
gerald49
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gerry S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Just to stoke the fire; a bit on the local CBC of a drone interfering with a airliner at Winnipeg International Airport today

Gerald49
Flight Happens
gerald49 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Do not think for a minute that these regulations are only going to target just those multi rotor helicopters. When the local police get a call that someone is operating a UAV in an unsafe manner, these regulations will give them the authority to shut down your operation and confiscate all your equipment, including your vehicle. Now comes the expensive part. Seeking a lawyer to get your possessions back and still the careless drone operators will carry on as if nothing happened. This is one of those situations where you cannot please everyone and a regulation aimed at drones is going to have a pronounced effect on our hobby.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 31

I've been looking but so far I haven't seen anything about the new regs. Does anybody have the info yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.