electrical problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Francois Barbeau
RCC Noob

I am: Francois B
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
electrical problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone !
I recently built the boat on the picture attached and I am stock with an important electrical problem :
The boat is equipped with two 540 motors (6 volts) in the back and with 2 small motors in the front to be used as thrusters.
I purchased on internet two escs from China (cheap) which are rated from 60 to 320 amps and 6 to 16 volts.I did not realized that the escs were having integrated bec. I plugged everything to the motors and also plugged a separate battery pack on the receiver.
On the first attempt to turn the motors, I fried the esc attached to the back motors. I contacted the supplier and he sent me another one which fried also in a few minutes....

I am now confused : is it bad equipment or am I doing something wrong ?

I ordered a quicrun 860 esc equipped to handle 2 motors but I am worried to plug this thing without having more advice.

can anyone help please ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1818.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	977529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	977537  
Francois Barbeau is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
twistedge
___¯\_(ツ)_/¯___________
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 8
Re: electrical problems

Hi Francois... It may take a little more information to help diagnose the issue.

What size and type batteries you're using (both the main and Rx)
What receiver you're using
How you're connecting everything (BEC and Rx pack at the same time?)
model number of the ESCs that fried.
How you're connecting the 2 small motors (also brushed?)
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

1) How many motors are controlled by how many ESC's? Are you running 1 motor per ESC? I see these are brushed motors and you are using a brushed ESC.(?)

2) When you plug the ESC(s) into the RX, they have BEC's. Why are you running a battery as well? Normally that is not a problem (BEC charges the Batt) bu it is not necessary. Remove the battery. Also, the second ESC (If you have more than one) you can pull (or cut) the positive lead from the second ESC connector so the ESC's aren't fighting each other. I prefer to pull the lead and heat shrink the exposed end just in case I need to use the BEC at a future date.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Francois Barbeau
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futaba

Hi Twistedge, Thanks for the reply. here is the info as required :The battery pack connected to the rx is a regular 6 volt (4 1.5 v). The main batteries used to power the motors are 7.2v NIMH 4200mah from duratrax.
The receiver is a Tactic TTX404 2.4 GHZ.
I am connecting the esc to the motors first. I connect the small battery pack to the receiver and I connect the 4200 battery pack at last. Remember that the esc has an integrated bec.
The model number of the esc: there is none on the esc which is from China, bought on the internet, received as is with no package, no instructions etc. I paid approx 20$ for this item which may be the problem....but two in a row fried ???
The two small motors are using a separate esc, the same as for the back motors, but this one is still ok....and everything is brushed.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
Francois Barbeau
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futaba

Hi Max ! Thank you also for your help. here is the info as requested :
I have 4 motors and two esc. everything is brushed. If you look closely to the photo attached, you will see that the esc is factory wired to handle 2 motors.
I understand now that I do not need additionnal batteries on the rx.
I will also try to remove the positive lead on the other esc.
Do you think that these things are subject to fry an esc in seconds ?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Barbeau View Post
Do you think that these things are subject to fry an esc in seconds ?
Well... No.

That is what is so confusing.

1) I have heard that some people use a battery in parallel with a BEC(I have never done it myself) and that the BEC keeps the battery fully charged.

2) In my early days of flying multirotors, I have personally plugged in 4 ESC's all with BEC's connected into 1 controller and never had a problem. Of course today I know better and always disconnect the positive on 3 of the ESC's, but back then I didnt know this trick but never had a problem

The only thing I see that could be a problem is if your battery was low and when you plugged in the ESC, the low battery sucked a lot of power from the BEC as the battery was trying to draw a charge from the BEC. This could have over-loaded the BEC circuitry in the ESC and fried it. This is just a theory but I dont know how else to explain your fried ESC's.

From what you mention in the spec's, the ESC should be more than capable of handling the current draw of your motors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Barbeau View Post
... which are rated from 60 to 320 amps and 6 to 16 volts.
So something is seriously wrong. Either that or those ESC's are no-where capable of 60-320 Amps. Check the fine print. Maybe 60 to 320 MILLIamps???

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Francois Barbeau
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futaba

Hi Max ! I agree that this is very confusing, The esc bought on the internet has no instructions, no brand etc. The only thing which is printed on the esc is ESC....
I will go back on eBay and try to have more info on these things, they still sell them.
I really think that the problem is with the esc but I am scared to plug the new one when I will get it, that is why I am trying to solve this issue.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

I've heard of people frying ESC's like this by not removing the positive lead if running multiple ESC's, or a receiver pack. The cheaper the ESC, the more likely something like this would happen.

If you want to validate, plug in one at a time (with no receiver pack) and see if it works.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #9
Francois Barbeau
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futaba

Thank you guys for all this info ! I am still waiting for my new esc (better quality this time) and as soon I receive it, I will make sure to remove the positive lead on the second esc and I will not use a battery pack as before on the receiver. Everything should work fine I hope....I will keep you posted !
Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
mikeferguson
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike F
Radio of choice:
Tactic
# of RCs: 12

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
mikeferguson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.