Needle valve extension... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Richard J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 6EXA
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1
Needle valve extension...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone have a better way of extending a Saito needle valve other than the short piece of wire flattened on one side then fixed with the needle set screw? (I find these often prone to coming loose.....) Please PM...
pipercub55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: Needle valve extension...

I got a plane from a swap meet, and he put in a couple of inches of braided pushrod/cable with a wheel collar on the end. The set screw was replaced with a bolt. It looks ok, and works well.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 5

The post above sounds like the new OS extension. I use a 1/16" solid brass rod. Its soft enough that the set screw in the needle valve will really get it tight. I make it the length I want and put a 90 degree bend on the end for a better grip. I also shrink wrap the end. I've never had one come loose. The one in the picture is a used one so its not as straight as it should be. Cheers Floyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4115.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	978345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4116.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	978353  
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Along with the bent wire which is as simple as it gets, (never had one come loose) I've used a couple of other methods.

One was an allan head cap bolt to allow for a ball end driver to reach down through the top of the cowl and another was the joystick pulled from a broken controller. That had a much smaller diameter pin where it was inserted into the plastic trunnion. The serrated end looked pretty neat sitting flush with the cowl and allowed for easy thumb adjustment

Both these required drilling the hole in the end of the needle larger but there is enough material to tolerate it and still use the lock screw.

On the subject of the allan head bolt another option is to drill the hole larger and tap it to size. Once the bolt is threaded in you can lock it with the set screw and I doubt it would ever come loose.

One issue is keeping the weight down as vibrations can otherwise wear out the needle and seat.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I've used the braided throttle cable too but I soldered the cable lightly......the screw really grabs and holds onto the solder. The other end, I just use a small wheel collar.

I've also used a t-pin and thread locked the screw in.....never lost one of those either.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

I use the cap screw method often but I solder a short length of copper tube over the head of the cap screw to guide the Allen driver, The brass tube could be long enough to just reach the canopy (but not through) to allow the canopy to be removed without removing the needle.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.